ARSENAL VS LIVERPOOL - 20 august 2011, ko: 12:45

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:57 pm

Kenny Kan wrote:Great result!

Good solid performance, that didn't just see us sit back (like we have done in recent years) and soak, we 'came out' and had a go. Just rewards!

Enrique MoM for me, great performance from a new left back! Lucas had a very good game, Downing was very good too - he's looked the brightest of our buys. Kelly was very good at defending and he got forward a fair bit too.

Carroll was poor, Adam very wasteful and his overall game left a lot to be desired, Henderson, looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Kuyt worked really hard - shame his touch lets him down.

Really really happy with that.

Have to say - I was urging Kenny to bring on Suarez for a while there. :D

Christ im in shock - i agree with Bam
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:58 pm

metalhead wrote:
mart wrote:Good result but poor performance.

Arsenal was :censored: with the exception of vermaelen and Scezeny(?).

Meireles and Suarez changed the game and should both start our next game.

Motm for me was Enrique or Lucas.

Poor performance?

Not at all, it was a comfortable performance, better possession and better attempts on goal but not the best in terms of dominating the game.

The Arsenal team looked way out of depth

Agreed
Benny The Noon

Postby Zidane » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:58 pm

It was not a bad performance dunno why people are saying that we were so poor prior to Suarez coming on, we were always the better team throughout and regardless of the lineup Arsenal were still a VERY strong side.  Arshavin, Walcott, Nasri, Van Persie, Ramsey are ALL quality players, not to mention Sagna and Vermeilen.  That side was better than our side was last year yet people act is if we were just supposed to walk over them.  It's Arsenal ffs and it's an away game, got a bit wound up over all these comments about how sh!te we were in the first half cause it just isn't true.  We were good for the most part but we were extremely wasteful in possession at times and didn't take our chances at all.  All of that comes down to not knowing the players well and trying to work them all in.
Zidane

Postby crim cram » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:59 pm

First win @Arsenal in eleven tries, I'll take it even though Arsenal were playing on one leg and a kick stand!

We better not sell Meireles, when he and Saurez came on there should have been Hollywood theme music playing - total bada$$e$.  Even though Suarez didn't get out of 2nd gear, the big kids showed up and set things straight. :buttrock
“Me having no education. I had to use my brains.”  Shankly
crim cram
LFC Super Member

Postby crim cram » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Oh, and Agger had one of his better games, looked really sharp.
“Me having no education. I had to use my brains.”  Shankly
crim cram
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Good win... Again, not impressed with Carroll, Henderson and to a certain extent Adam... Suddenly our left side is very strong now with Enrique and downing... Enrique had some scary moments with Reina though... We need to buy another striker...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:29 pm

anyone still moaning about individual players after that needs their head testing.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RedRory » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:36 pm

A good result and a good performance as well, true it was against a depleated arsenal side but we have to take any bit of good fortune we get.
Last week Andy Carroll was denied a perfectly good goal and sunderland should have been playing with 10 men for most of the game, today we were lucky that luis wasnt flaged offside. The universe still owes us a slice of good luck if you ask me. Today i think alot of people would have favoured us to win the game and im glad that is the case.

I tink our midfield played well today. More possesion against arsenal at highbury, its not very often you see a team do that. In the first 70 minutes we were solid but we couldnt do anything in the final third. Carroll was marked out of it again today, vermalen had an excellent game, thats something he is going to have to get used to though so the sooner he learns to deal with it the better. When suarez and meireles came on we finally had the cutting edge around the arsenal box.

I see posts giving out about henderson but i think that unless we have someone to complain about then we wont be happy, kuyt used to get alot of stick then lucas was the go to man if you needed to slate somebody, last season we were spoilt for choice although a particular favourite was konchesky. Until we win the league then i think we are always going to look for a scapegoat.

Arsenal now have a champions league qualifier mid week and utd next weekend and i imagine that utd will take the points so a possible 1 point from three games for arsenal and they will be under big pressure. If they are the other team we are suposed to be fighting with for 4th (and obviously i think we can do much better than 4th) then it bodes well for us.

Id still like us to sign a good conter back tho.

Another thing i noticed was that in the last 10 minutes where in the past when we are defending a 1 goal lead it is usually hoofball up the field but today we actully played the ball out of defense. This could be because our target man was no longer on the pitch but lets hope that it is a sign of things to come.

Also suarez got a good rest today, after his copa america exploits that will do him good. Its always good when you can rest your star man against arsenal :D I'm gona enjoy my pints tonight!
RedRory

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Just got back from the match.

Enjoying the win but not getting carried away, lets face it, given their problems Arsenal where there for the taking, was surprised how long it took us to break them down.

A  great result for us, but for 70 mins although defensively we looked pretty solid  our creativity was non existent. The sending off and the introduction of Suarez and Meireles changed the game.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:51 pm

stmichael wrote:anyone still moaning about individual players after that needs their head testing.

meaning?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:00 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Just got back from the match.

Enjoying the win but not getting carried away, lets face it, given their problems Arsenal where there for the taking, was surprised how long it took us to break them down.

A  great result for us, but for 70 mins although defensively we looked pretty solid  our creativity was non existent. The sending off and the introduction of Suarez and Meireles changed the game.

thats it in a nutshell.
"our creativity was non existent" had we of had suarez,aqua or merieles on from the start we would have broke them earlier.

nonetheless it was a good win :buttrock
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:56 pm

not the best of displays but I expected us to have a lot less posession on the day, I thought we'd take a more counter attacking approach but we seemed confortable to play against them. I said earlier in the thread that we might rop Suarez altogether and pack the midfield and to an extent it worked. Suarez should have been intorduced a lot earlier though

We won there and it was pretty expected, I know they're in the pitts atm but that isn't our problem, this fixture came at the right time for us. Says loads about our squad now that Meireles and Suarez can come on from the bench, I was chuffed with that.

As Bob says, its fitness, character building and understanding, another game under everyone's belts, the optimism is back
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby roberto green » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:06 am

Our starting team had no pace in it, Adam doesn't complement Lucas and vise versa they were both to slow and little creativity between them.Henderson doesn't look much kop up to now either but it's still early days. As for Carrol I'm starting to get worried about the guy, I think we had the better three players on the bench in Suarez, Meirless and Maxi who I think are better players that Carrol, Hendo  and Adam. Downing and Enrique look the best newbies up to now.At least we have a strong squad now.
roberto green

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:28 am

woof woof ! wrote:Just got back from the match.

That's the thing Woof, anyone could see Arsenal were there for the taking. I was saying this to myself throughout the game. I would have been bitterly disappointed had we not come away from there with 3 pts.

We got the 'rub of the green' with the Og and that put us in the driving seat then. I'd still like to think we could have nicked a goal from that game without Arsenal's help - but who knows now and it doesn't really matter.

Not for the first time - I think we looked much better without Andy Carroll in the side. We played some lovely little deft touches in and around the Arsenal box (Surarez, Meireles, Downing et al) and this gave Arsenal a whole different kettle of fish to deal with. The movement by our players was good and we opened them up a few times playing the ball on the deck by probing it around. We never really looked like doing this with Carroll on the pitch.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am

maguskwt wrote:Good win... Again, not impressed with Carroll, Henderson and to a certain extent Adam... Suddenly our left side is very strong now with Enrique and downing... Enrique had some scary moments with Reina though... We need to buy another striker...

Jeez you´re negative. We have to move forward and reading other lads posts and newspaper reports you seem to be in the minority with your views.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games