ARSENAL VS LIVERPOOL - Sunday 17 April 2011 16.00pm ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Johnny Boy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:56 am

Greavesie wrote:any news on Carroll or Aurelio by the way? Carroll's looked nasty even though he came back on for a bit and Aurelio...well I think I know how that one's gonna go :D

One of the negatives from yesterday, I like Fabio and think he gives us a good balance but he cannot play more than a couple of games without getting injured.
Great to see the 2 young lads do so well.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:06 am

Bad Bob wrote:Still managed to get out there to celebrate with the lads at the final whistle, though.  Tough as nails is our Carra.  :cool:

What's big deal, Harry Kewell did the same thing after Istanbul  :D   (I get my coat)

Great moments of high drama at end capped off battling display. Like others pleased with what some of lesser knowns did out there.
I look forward to next season with renewed confidence
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:53 am

Clearly there is life after Gerrard.  And Torres. And Reina if need be.  The furture is red.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:51 am

Not a lot of football played by our boys yesterday but the fight, determination and spirit shown was absolutely top drawer. If we can add some quality to that fight we saw yesterday then we will do well next season.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:16 am

Reg wrote:Clearly there is life after Gerrard.  And Torres. And Reina if need be.  The furture is red.

Hmm, I wouldn't say that performance and some of those players would support your comment.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby mkingdom » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 pm

The two kids at full back were very impressive, and Spearing reminded me of Mascherano but without the perpetual risk of a red card.  Yes, I thought he was that good, and could be our DM for years to come.

Lucas continues to improve and played superbly.

Although I want us to sign some real class in the summer, we have the nucleus now of a group of young kids, many of them local, who can start to take a place in the first 11.

Robinson, Flanagan, Spearing, Kelly can join Carra and Gerrard in the first team now and not look out of place.

To go to Arsenal, with so many players unavailable, and then lose players in the match, and still be in the game, and could easily have won it, is a great testament to the progress we have made.  A great away performance.
mkingdom

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Fantastic spirit and never say die attitude showed by everyone yesterday.

Robinson and Flanagan handled Walcott and Arshavin better than any of our fullbacks ever did.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:28 pm

The future is starting to look exciting.  We now have Kelly, Flanno, Robinson and even Wilson that all look like useful players at the back.  Spearing is slowly starting to change my opinion also.  Would be nice if we could get Suso and Sterling some minutes before the end of the season too.

Most importantly though, it could be the first summer for awhile were we'll be looking to sign players.

For me we need a LB, 2 CB's, 1 CM, 2 wingers and a striker although its hard to see us signing 7+ players.
As much as i hate the Mancs, i was gutted for the lads when Arsenal scored and delighted when we equalized.  I just can't stand to ever see Liverpool lose a game.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:10 pm

Jac, the areas you've highlighted are important but we should prioritise in terms of importance. For example, before the season closes I'd have been tempted to put Kelly in the centre and see how he fares. Hopefully we can get a look of him there before the season's out. Try Jonno at right wing etc etc

I truly believe there's a lot of versailitiy there, well enough to paper over some of our issues. I don't think we can address the whole squad issues in one summer so it's important to make best of what we have as well as get in a couple of quality players, and I mean quality players, ones who can go straight into the first team
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Scottbot » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:18 pm

I think the best thing about the kids coming through and looking like they can rearly contribute is that it should free up Kenny to go out and spend bigger on quality without worrying so much about quantity. I don't think there will be a ridiculous amount of cash to splash in the summer but it would be great if the club can spend big on a top class CB, a quality wide man and another centre-mid. And then you'd like to think we could pick up a few more players at more reasonable prices whilst bringing the kids on a step further.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Greavesie wrote:Jac, the areas you've highlighted are important but we should prioritise in terms of importance. For example, before the season closes I'd have been tempted to put Kelly in the centre and see how he fares. Hopefully we can get a look of him there before the season's out. Try Jonno at right wing etc etc

I truly believe there's a lot of versailitiy there, well enough to paper over some of our issues. I don't think we can address the whole squad issues in one summer so it's important to make best of what we have as well as get in a couple of quality players, and I mean quality players, ones who can go straight into the first team

Yeah spot on.  the last few games should be used to see what we can do with what we have.  These young players could save us millions in the long term.

There's still a lot up for grabs this season though.  We need to finish higher than Everton and try win all our games in case Spurs and City majorily screw up.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Scottbot wrote:I think the best thing about the kids coming through and looking like they can rearly contribute is that it should free up Kenny to go out and spend bigger on quality without worrying so much about quantity. I don't think there will be a ridiculous amount of cash to splash in the summer but it would be great if the club can spend big on a top class CB, a quality wide man and another centre-mid. And then you'd like to think we could pick up a few more players at more reasonable prices whilst bringing the kids on a step further.

Hit the nail on the head mate, we don't need to spend money on quantity just to have options and all that, we can spend money to improve our starting 11, get 3 or 4 quality players who can give us another dimension, more balance and be able to fight for the title or champions league qualification.

Relying on youngsters has its consequences, just look at Arsenal. Let's invest in top players and let the likes of Flanno and Robinson slowly get integrated into the team and develop to be excellent players in the future.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloMedina28 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:26 pm

Graet game to watch, very intense the last few minutes were a rollercoaster of emotions, everything thats great about the prem. Glad Carras ok, Flanno had another good solid game although as with the Carra incident he showed his inexperience and was very enthusiastic giving away afew silly free kicks. Robinson came on and was brillaint i think hes gonna be a great player for us, attacks and defends in equal measure. Its great when these youngsters come in and do a job in arguably the toughest test as a defender in the prem (away to arsenal) especially since so many people on here ridicule me for saying we should play these players now. I couldnt see the likes of Wisdom Suso, Sterling and Coady letting us down either. Spurs play Arsenal next and hopefully theyll be out to prove a point, especially Arsene who has egg on his face now the whole nation seen Kenny take the :censored: out of him. Then we complete the job by winning Birmingham and beating Spurs and were within whiskers of that 5th spot.

YNWA
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby Zidane » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:47 pm

Can't say anything that hasn't already been said, at first I thought Lucas may have dived but after seeing a few replays you can clearly see Eboue gives Lucas a shove in the back.  Very daft of him to do that.
Zidane

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games