EXETER CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 24 august 2011, ko: 19:45

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:11 am

Kenny Kan wrote:
Since when is scoring a good goal in a pretty easy victory not good enough for a striker?

Scoring a good goal doesn't mean the lad had a good all round game, that's when.

Again his control and even passing let him down again.

Overall, the team made a professional job of it, it was a good game, "job done".

So did you think he "wasn't good enough" as well, then, Bam? ???

Personally, I think sticking the ball in the back of the net goes a long way to fulfilling the minimum requirements for the match if you're a striker.  Given that we controlled the entire match and really didn't require too much more of the big lad than to make himself available (which he did consistently) and put one away, I 'd again say it was job done--a few loose touches and errant passes don't change that fact, IMO.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Madmax » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:27 am

Atleast we are through to the next round for once!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:06 am

Madmax wrote:Atleast we are through to the next round for once!

Nope. We've just got to the round we normally start in.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shakey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:53 am

Last season an away game to Exeter would have worried me,but never in doubt  lastnite :grinning:
shakey

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:56 am

Job done - Bring on Bolton.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:48 am

Bad Bob wrote:
Kenny Kan wrote:
Since when is scoring a good goal in a pretty easy victory not good enough for a striker?

Scoring a good goal doesn't mean the lad had a good all round game, that's when.

Overall, the team made a professional job of it, it was a good game, "job done".

Personally, I think sticking the ball in the back of the net goes a long way to fulfilling the minimum requirements for the match if you're a striker.  Given that we controlled the entire match and really didn't require too much more of the big lad than to make himself available (which he did consistently) and put one away, I 'd again say it was job done--a few loose touches and errant passes don't change that fact, IMO.

That's your opinion Bobby and your are entitled to it - even of course if you're wrong.

I have the perfect candidate to counter your easily pleased opinion.

Luis Suarez.

I know, I know, I know - two different players right? Hang in their son.

Simply put: would Luis' game against Exeter changed people's opinions about his performance last night if he hadn't of scored?

My answer: NO

His all round game was 'top stuff', his attitude was 'first class', 'his work rate' (I know many love that  phrase when describing Kuyt) was exceptional. His movement, trickery, turn of pace, control and vision all added to the quality of his game during his 60 odd minutes on the pitch. We can't really say the same thing about big Andy. So while you are happy with his overall game, because he managed to net a goal; I'll continue to look at the 'bigger picture' concerning a player's game.  :;):
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Kenny Kan wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Kenny Kan wrote:

That's your opinion Bobby and your are entitled to it - even of course if you're wrong.

Luis Suarez.

Simply put: would Luis' game against Exeter changed people's opinions about his performance last night if he hadn't of scored?

His all round game was 'top stuff', his attitude was 'first class', 'his work rate' (I know many love that  phrase when describing Kuyt) was exceptional. His movement, trickery, turn of pace, control and vision all added to the quality of his game during his 60 odd minutes on the pitch. We can't really say the same thing about big Andy. So while you are happy with his overall game, because he managed to net a goal; I'll continue to look at the 'bigger picture' concerning a player's game.  :;):

Nonsense comparison.  Carroll simply does not have it in his locker to do what Suarez does on the pitch and judging him by that standard is ridiculous.  Suarez links midfield and attack in a way Carroll will never do and no one reasonable expects him to do.  Carroll is, as you've liked to point out in the past, a bit of a throw-back to the old battering ram centre forward.  His game requires service from others, something he again failed to get in sufficient doses last night.  He's never going to hare around the pitch beguiling everyone with his "trickery, turn of pace, control and vision"--he's going to need quality service from others in and around the box to thrive.  If you don't like what he offered last night (besides a well taken goal of course  :;): ) you might wish to look at the service he was getting from his teammates (which was, on the whole rather poor).
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:38 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Kenny Kan wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Kenny Kan wrote:

Luis Suarez.

Nonsense comparison.  Carroll simply does not have it in his locker to do what Suarez does on the pitch and judging him by that standard is ridiculous.  Suarez links midfield and attack in a way Carroll will never do and no one reasonable expects him to do.  Carroll is, as you've liked to point out in the past, a bit of a throw-back to the old battering ram centre forward.  His game requires service from others, something he again failed to get in sufficient doses last night.  He's never going to hare around the pitch beguiling everyone with his "trickery, turn of pace, control and vision"--he's going to need quality service from others in and around the box to thrive.  If you don't like what he offered last night (besides a well taken goal of course  :;): ) you might wish to look at the service he was getting from his teammates (which was, on the whole rather poor).

"nonsense comparison"  ???

ave a word with yourself! What, we can now excuse Andy from trapping a bag of cement, holding the ball up well and bringing others into play, or using his passing abilities and vision because Suarez does all this better than him?

Have a think about what you're saying lad.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Kenny Kan wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Kenny Kan wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Kenny Kan wrote:

Luis Suarez.

"nonsense comparison"  ???

WTF, so we can now excuse Andy from trapping a bag of cement, holding the ball up well and bringing others into play, or using his passing abilities and vision because Suarez does all this better than him?

Awww come on..be fair. Suarez is exceptional and probably the best player in the league. Probably in the top 5 in the world in fact!

Carroll did all of this for Newcastle. He was great for them. He got good service and he used it. Players don't become bad players or lose ability due to a £35m tranfer to a bigger club. Andy's problem is due to confidence and pyscology right now. His head is down a bit, probably due to everyone having a go at him after a handful of games. I say we get behind him and support the young lad...ya know, the Liverpool way!
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RedAnt » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:47 pm

P.S He even gets moaned at when he's scored. Can't really win can he unless he's banging in a hat-trick every game. How many strikers do that?
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Kenny Kan wrote:ave a word with yourself! What, we can now excuse Andy from trapping a bag of cement, holding the ball up well and bringing others into play, or using his passing abilities and vision because Suarez does all this better than him?

:laugh:

What I'm saying is pretty straightforward, "Bammy".  We bought Carroll to stick the ball in the net.  He did that last night.  Job done.

If you're expecting a lot more than that to be satisfied, you're going to have a frustrating season.  Good luck to you.  :)
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:13 pm

What you're saying is idiotic Bob.

:p

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games