ARSENAL VS LIVERPOOL - 20 august 2011, ko: 12:45

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:01 pm

INJURY NEWS/SUSPENSIONS
Arsenal - Jack Wilshere is doubtful. Gervinho is suspended while Fabregas and Nasri did not feature in the previous match at all.

Liverpool - Martin Skrtel, Fabio Aurelio and Steven Gerrard are injured. Not too sure about Glen Johnson.

PAST RESULTS
Arsenal 1 1 Liverpool 17 Apr 11
Liverpool 1 1 Arsenal 15th Aug 10
Arsenal 1 0 Liverpool 10th Feb 10
Liverpool 1 2 Arsenal 13th Dec 09
Liverpool 4 4 Arsenal 21st Apr 09
Arsenal 1 1 Liverpool 21st Dec 08
Arsenal 1 1 Liverpool 5th Apr 08

KEY PLAYERS
Arsenal - Arshavin and Walcott.

Liverpool - Suarez and Agger.

SQUADS
Arsenal - Szczesny, Fabianski, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Squillaci, Djourou, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Sagna, Song, Frimpong, Rosicky, Van Persie, Ramsey, Arshavin, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Miyaichi and Chamakh.

Liverpool - Reina, Doni, Kelly, Flanagan, Carragher, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Enrique, Robinson, Lucas, Spearing, Adam, Henderson, Meireles, Aquilani, Downing, Cole, Maxi, Suarez, Kuyt, Ngog and Carroll.

...on paper, we do have the stronger team and but recent matches against them have been mostly draws or won by a single goal. I reckon we will win this 2:0 this time. They are there for the taking especially without 3 of their top players.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Dundalk » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:11 pm

I wanted at least 4 points from the first 2 games. We can still do that but its now going to be a lot harder. This is the best time all season to play Arsenal in London. We must go there and set up to win, we have the players to do it and if we are to finish in the top 4 we need to attack in games like this.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:30 pm

If we play for 90mins like we did against Sunderland in the first half, against Arsenal I see no reason why we cannot beat them.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:32 pm

Yep. And Arsenal are already in a :censored: state of mind. Can see this one turning out a draw though.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:53 pm

Unfortunately I'm going to need to find a bar in Protaras that is showing this game :D . Anyway we can really make a statement with a victory here, Arsenal could be in trouble qualifying for the CL group stage by next week and if we take all 3 points they would be languishing near the bottom of the league. I say 3-0, Suarez hatrick.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Walcott more a key player than Van Persie?  ???
SupitsJonF

Postby aCe' » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 am

I think we'll need to be stronger in the middle to handle them.. They still have decent players and will always look to keep possession especially at home...
We cant afford to allow them too much possession especially given the situation with our back line.. Like DD said, its probably the best time to play them and with Gervinho, Wilshere, Diaby , and probably Song (FA expected to suspend him) all missing we should really be taking all points from them this time around..

Walcott, Arshavin and RVP are all threats upfront and unless we really control the game then I can see them scoring against us..

They play Udinese on Tuesday so hopefully one or more of their players are tired/unavailable after that fixture...

As for us, I think we should be starting a strong side for this one.. Assuming Aquilani is on his way out and wont feature, I'd go for this lineup:

Reina
Johnson     Carra         Agger        Enrique

Lucas         Meireles
                       Adam
Suarez                                      Downing
                      Carroll
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:20 am

Our right side should drastically improve with Glen back and I expect Enrique to show his attacking side a hell of a lot more than last match.  He obviously played within himself he admitted as much on his interview.  I expect us to win this honestly but it all depends on the midfield, imo Adam has to be ready to work very hard defensively and let the game come to him on the offensive side for me he's forcing and rushing too many things and it's getting us very unorganized.  Hopefully we'll be a bit fitter as well, our fitness levels aren't where they should be right now and we'll need to work hard to get a result there.  I still have a good feeling about the season and I don't see us losing the match really.

Arsenal is in bad shape imo and with the announced sale of Cesc players will be unsettled about the future imo.  They really haven't bought anyone and I am certain that a lot of players are getting tired of Wenger not spending enough.  Being a bit dramatic and all, but this match could signal the beginning of a bad season for Arsenal and the beginning of a good season for us.
Zidane

Postby Raoul » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:23 am

I'm with aCe, except if Johnson isn't right then I want Kuyt playing in front of Flanno/Kelly. We'd then drop Adam or Meireles.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:31 am

Kenny Kan wrote:If we play for 90mins like we did against Sunderland in the first half, against Arsenal I see no reason why we cannot beat them.

First game of the season is always a bit weird because of the fact that preseason games are never close to actual premier league games.  The pace and physicality is so much different, but I think our squad know what to expect.  I was actually quite impressed with Enrique considering he had signed 24 hours earlier, he actually looked extremely solid and composed.  We can probably expect him getting up the line a bit more now that he's that much more comfortable.  Hopefully Suarez will last the 90 after his rest, I think he'll be good to go.  I expect Kuyt in again as this is the type of game he excels at. 

Our club is ready now.  Both Arsenal and Liverpool always step up in these matches, so it's really hard to say where it's gonna go, but this is the best time to play Arsenal.  They have no replacements for Nasri and Fabregas, and Wilshire and Gervinho are out, so I imagine we are in good shape, especially if Johnson is back fit.

There's no reason we shouldn't play like we did in the first half now.  I expect us to play a more complete game and I know we're capable of taking this one.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:11 am

If there's ever a time to beat them it is now.

No Fabregas (Transfer), Nasri (left out last week), Wallcott (Injured), Gervinho (Suspended), Song (more than likely be suspended this week for his sneaky stamp in the Newcastle game)

Talk about depleted.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:15 am

aCe' wrote:I think we'll need to be stronger in the middle to handle them.. They still have decent players and will always look to keep possession especially at home...
We cant afford to allow them too much possession especially given the situation with our back line.. Like DD said, its probably the best time to play them and with Gervinho, Wilshere, Diaby , and probably Song (FA expected to suspend him) all missing we should really be taking all points from them this time around..

Walcott, Arshavin and RVP are all threats upfront and unless we really control the game then I can see them scoring against us..

They play Udinese on Tuesday so hopefully one or more of their players are tired/unavailable after that fixture...

As for us, I think we should be starting a strong side for this one.. Assuming Aquilani is on his way out and wont feature, I'd go for this lineup:

Reina
Johnson     Carra         Agger        Enrique

Lucas         Meireles
                       Adam
Suarez                                      Downing
                      Carroll

It's a good line up but the fact remains that Meireles has never played that role for us, I can't see that changing. Meireles will always be deployed as either an attacking option or a wide role in a narrow midfield. Never a holding role.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:18 am

As for our line up against Arsenal

Defence
Johnson for Flanagan. A mare for Flanagan on Saturday, we need experience.

Midfield
Kuyt for Henderson. I'll be interested to see if Dalglish persists with Henderson. Arsenal will be heavy on possession, Kuyt offers the work rate needed to break down that possession.

Attack
No changes. I think it is obvious that Suarez and Carroll need as many minutes as possible as a partnership. Dalglish wont even consider changing that.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:12 pm

If we set up to win we can beat these. Their squad is thin and having to play CL games between this so hopefully tiredness and resting players will be an issue for them. The still haven't addressed their defensive issues nor the imminent departure of Nasri (hopefully he won't play against us), Gervinho's suspended and I'm also hoping for some retrospective punishment on Song for the stamp :D

Morale should be low as well with Cesc finally being out of the picture

I agree with what SCS has said above, set up that way and don't give them a minutes peace, if we play with the passion and determination of last season, we'll get the win.

Can't wait!! COME ON!!

EDIT - Song will miss the game as well!  :buttrock
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:33 am

I just hope we dont sit back against them like last season. Carroll is really ineffective when hes isolated.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games