Arsenal v Liverpool Monday 24th August 2015. KO 8pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Dundreamin is back » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:40 am

This is going to be our acid test but it depends which Arsenal turns up on the night. If they play like their first 2 games we will beat them,but to be honest I would settle for a draw. 1-1 Benteke.
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby killerp » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:21 am

If we try to play fancy, Arsenal will have it over us. Basically same game plan as first two games, win or draw ugly and not a single supporter can complain.

Won't despair if we lose though, we are facing a quality team away with a largely new team without a strong core of veteran quality players. Almost half the first 11 is new, have to be realistic about expectations.
killerp

Postby ethanr » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:27 pm

killerp » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:21 pm wrote:If we try to play fancy, Arsenal will have it over us. Basically same game plan as first two games, win or draw ugly and not a single supporter can complain.

Won't despair if we lose though, we are facing a quality team away with a largely new team without a strong core of veteran quality players. Almost half the first 11 is new, have to be realistic about expectations.

Agree 100%. I'm sure a loss will result in this forum blowing up with why Rogers is the wrong man for the job, but we have to be realistic. Arsenal can beat anybody on a good day, especially at home. Any points here will be a great result for us.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:54 pm

Arsenal have always been a passing team and their passing V Palace was worse than dreadful

Saying that with players like Sanchez and Cazorla they can change a game within a second

Can has to start he is the only midfielder, Bar lucas, that I believe has the necesarry attributes to keep Sanchez quiet and give our midfield a bit of strength.

Is hendo missing i hope not as I would rather us replace Milner than Henderson. i'd also start Moreno,Firmino and Markovic in place of Gomez,Ibe and Lallana

Mig
Clyne        Skrtel              Lovren      Moreno

Can          Hendo/Milner

Markovic                                        Coutinho
                              Firmino

Benteke

Coutinho looks better playing from the left drifting in and Firmino seems a bit lazy to help protect the defence

Skrtel and Lovren will need to be careful at set pieces as the referee and linesman will be waiting for something to give against us after the bournemouth game

1-2 red men

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:07 pm

I must admit I'm not feeling confident about this game at all, our record down there is poor at the best of times.
One thing is for sure if we play like we did in our opening 2 games we will get hammered, keeping Stoke and Bournemouth out is one thing, trying to keep Arsenal out at the Etihad is an entirely different proposition altogether.
I'm just hoping we can pull a performance out of the bag from somewhere but we will need to find another few gears if we want to take anything from this game.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:24 pm

well if we play them at the Etihad we must feel like we have home advantage as they have further to come

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Defensively we have to be solid in this one and to be honest in games like this you need a solid DM to limit their play and make those crucial tackles.
Its going to be a tough one without doubt. Our next few away fixtures are tough as it is.

If we want to get something out of this game we need skillful  players to help out benteke. I would start fiminho in this one.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:45 pm

2-0 to Arsenal....BR would look for a draw and lose.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:42 am

We have to start with Can as a DM ,and we have to abandon the idea of using  Ibe or Lallana the latter for his obvious frailties ,and Ibe because his current game is ineffective against proficient FB's ...I think if we make this a combative game in midfield and play only when the counter attack is on ,we could well snatch something from the Emirates.

Other than that ,these are the games tailor made for Lucas ,on Monday night we may regret the clubs  haste in viewing him as surplus to requirements.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:55 am

LFC1990 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:24 pm wrote:well if we play them at the Etihad we must feel like we have home advantage as they have further to come

:p
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:30 pm

Dreading this but equally cannot wait for it. The thing is that you just never know what you will get from us but if we set up like we did against stoke and bournemouth then we can expect a similar performance.
I hope we change tactic and go for the 3 points.  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:03 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:42 pm wrote:We have to start with Can as a DM ,and we have to abandon the idea of using  Ibe or Lallana the latter for his obvious frailties ,and Ibe because his current game is ineffective against proficient FB's ...I think if we make this a combative game in midfield and play only when the counter attack is on ,we could well snatch something from the Emirates.

Other than that ,these are the games tailor made for Lucas ,on Monday night we may regret the clubs  haste in viewing him as surplus to requirements.

Agreed with Can and Lallana. But maybe we should still play Ibe. Arsenal has problems with direct running players...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:00 pm

I'd go with this:

Mig

Clyne           Skrtel              Lovren         Gomez     

Milner       Henderson       Lucas(Can)      Moreno

Coutinho

Benteke

Defend well. Have a bit of width, and play plenty of early crosses for Benteke. It's going to be a struggle. I'd take a 1-1.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:14 pm

I'd give Markovic a try out wide, Arsenal have always struggled to deal with him and he can't be any worse than Ibe
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:38 pm

Probably get tonked as per usual but saving grace is we will gain revenge at Anfield where Arsenal are equally poor.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games