LIVERPOOL VS ARSENAL - 21st april 2009. anfield 8pm k/o

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:03 pm

Yeh Pennant cross Crouch header. Pompy win 1-0 :laugh: if only that happened.
Kopite-Jud

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:03 pm

he still ahs a face that i'd happily punched all day long. ok he scored 4, I only want him to do that once more - thats against the mancs.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm

LegBarnes wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:I be more worried about ar.seshaven

Hate it when I am right grrrrr.  :angry:   :down:

Dont worry
Its not that often...
:;):

You wouldn't know you always got ya head others places.

:laugh:
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby mkingdom » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:18 pm

Bitterly dissapointing result, but a fabulous match.

On one hand you can't concede four goals at home and expect to win the league, and on the other, we seem to be able to score at will when we need to.  The start to the second half was awesome.  We just battered them into submission.

It is of course less likely we will win the league now, but I do not think Manure will win all their remaining games...they have to play Arsenal for a start.

I do expect a fairly routine home win tonight against a very average Pompey, but stranger things have happened...although not many!!   :Oo:

So after tonight I expect Manure to be 3 points clear with a game in hand, but it isn't over yet.
mkingdom

Postby LegBarnes » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:21 pm

mkingdom wrote:Bitterly dissapointing result, but a fabulous match.

On one hand you can't concede four goals at home and expect to win the league, and on the other, we seem to be able to score at will when we need to.  The start to the second half was awesome.  We just battered them into submission.

It is of course less likely we will win the league now, but I do not think Manure will win all their remaining games...they have to play Arsenal for a start.

I do expect a fairly routine home win tonight against a very average Pompey, but stranger things have happened...although not many!!   :Oo:

So after tonight I expect Manure to be 3 points clear with a game in hand, but it isn't over yet.

Wouldn't be to sure If I am not mistaken pompy are a bit of a slip up team for them.

"calls on his magic horn for a stat whore"

But Yeah on paper they will win.

Don't worrie I ain't gonna say it I never quote that gimp andy grey.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:09 pm

I've had a couple of Johnnie Walker reds (Elliot Smith line but I have) so this might not come out right. Good post by Bob earlier regarding the manager and his prowess but just to clarify here, I haven't softened my stance one percent of one iota. The mass rotation was wrong, the uber defensive tactics were wrong, Keanegate and all the surrounding issues were wrong, the proliferation of "options and possibilities" players were wrong.

I simply want and wanted Liverpool to win. Somebody suggested a couple of days ago that I'd stopped posting because I'd backed my self into a corner. I don't see it that way (unsurprisingly   :D ). I watched Rafa's interview on the BBC, they asked him about rotation and he said "we have changed the players less this season but they are still fresh". I said we would never win the league under Rafa (and to be fair we still may well not) and I'm absolutely convinced, 1000% (not a misprint) that if we styled like we did previously and played with a "we must not lose" mentality we never would. The fact is, we've changed our outlook so now we have a chance. Doesn't mean we'll wi it, but at least it means we've got a chance.

Ultimately, we are slightly outgunned in the transfer market so it is unrealistic to expect us to win it six times in ten hyears or something. Just so long as we give ourselves a chance though, that is all you can ask. We are doing that, so it's tickety. The biggest surprise to me, and the are ain which I was most wrong, is that Rafa has changed quite so much. I thought he would be much more stubborn than he has been, rotating to the last, defending even as the ship descended to the depths. Quite where this rotate less/attack like a madman approach has come from I'm not sure, but I like it very much.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:15 pm

In answer to your last question Mick - i think its because he is getting close to having the players he wants to play the way he wants . People say he is a defensive manager but at Valencia he was far from it whenever i watched - he wants lots of free flowing passing  football with a solid defensive base backing it up . We have managed both many times just not at the same time on enough occasions in the past - lately we have had the mix right but over last couple of games we have lost the defensive base due to pushing for results and individual errors , but it does bode well for the future
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:16 pm

bigmick wrote:I've had a couple of Johnnie Walker reds (Elliot Smith line but I have) so this might not come out right. Good post by Bob earlier regarding the manager and his prowess but just to clarify here, I haven't softened my stance one percent of one iota. The mass rotation was wrong, the uber defensive tactics were wrong, Keanegate and all the surrounding issues were wrong, the proliferation of "options and possibilities" players were wrong.

I simply want and wanted Liverpool to win. Somebody suggested a couple of days ago that I'd stopped posting because I'd backed my self into a corner. I don't see it that way (unsurprisingly   :D ). I watched Rafa's interview on the BBC, they asked him about rotation and he said "we have changed the players less this season but they are still fresh". I said we would never win the league under Rafa (and to be fair we still may well not) and I'm absolutely convinced, 1000% (not a misprint) that if we styled like we did previously and played with a "we must not lose" mentality we never would. The fact is, we've changed our outlook so now we have a chance. Doesn't mean we'll wi it, but at least it means we've got a chance.

Ultimately, we are slightly outgunned in the transfer market so it is unrealistic to expect us to win it six times in ten hyears or something. Just so long as we give ourselves a chance though, that is all you can ask. We are doing that, so it's tickety. The biggest surprise to me, and the are ain which I was most wrong, is that Rafa has changed quite so much. I thought he would be much more stubborn than he has been, rotating to the last, defending even as the ship descended to the depths. Quite where this rotate less/attack like a madman approach has come from I'm not sure, but I like it very much.

:nod

good to have ya back ...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:41 pm

Do we have an agreement with teams where we let them score before we go and get one, seems to be happening far too often this season, we don't react until we concede
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:13 pm

bigmick wrote:I've had a couple of Johnnie Walker reds (Elliot Smith line but I have) so this might not come out right. Good post by Bob earlier regarding the manager and his prowess but just to clarify here, I haven't softened my stance one percent of one iota.

Fair enough, mate.  You've been remarkably consistent about what you consider the formula for success should be and I think you are right to suggest that Rafa is changing tack in that direction of late.  It's a funny thing, you know.  For a while there, when we were struggling to string any kind of form together it seemed the most natural thing in the world to say that the team just wasn't good enough.  All of sudden, though, they all step it up a few gears at the same time and we see that they are in fact good enough to give the league a proper go.  I think the same holds true with the manager.  We've long known he's got a stubborn streak and a particular way of setting the team up and it can look, at times, like he'll never quite get to grips with what it takes to win the league.  But--and it's a big but--he's shown his adaptability these past few months and now has us looking like we're exactly where we belong...right in the thick of things.  All told, I think this augers quite well for the future and so, while I'm sure some people will look back in regret at what might have been this season if we do come up a little short, I'll prefer to look at the kind of football we've achieved in the last couple months and cast my mind forward in anticipation of another tilt at the title next season (not that I'm counting us out yet or anything). 

One thing's for sure, though.  I've enjoyed the ride of late whole-heartedly, even if I've had to pull my hair out a few times in frustration.  The lads have been placed inside the crucible of a frantic title run-in and are burning white hot at the moment.  As a result, I think they are being melded into something extraordinary right before our eyes.  :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:17 pm

I was just looking at fixtures for Chelsea and Man Utd against the North London teams, bearing in mind we've not beaten either of the North London teams this season but have done the double over Chelsea and Man Utd this season (makes being so close to but yet so far from the title so much more frustrating.

Anyway it looks as if none of the top three have beaten spudz or Arsenal in the league, so there is hope yet

Norf Lundan vs top 3 (as posted elsewhere)

TOT 2-1 LIV
ARS 1-1 LIV
LIV 4-4 ARS
ARS 2-1 MNU
TOT 0-0 MNU
CHE 1-2 ARS
CHE 1-1 TOT
TOT 1-0 CHE

MNU vs TOT
MNU vs ARS
ARS vs CHE
LIV vs TOT

P8 W0 D4 L4 F9 A13 PTS 4/24. In fact that makes our 4-4 the best result of Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool against the North Londoners in the Premiership this season - with three home games against them for the top two between them. Four draws, including a 4-4, so no fourgone conclusions
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Now that IS clutching at straws....but if it proves true mate, I'll be the first to send you an IOU for a pint ! (of Babycham  :laugh:  )
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Alright sh!tehawks. Bit of sobre posting i think .

Good post bigmick . (remember my pm mate , it's still on )

Biggest difference after January . BELIEF .

Rafa believes in his players , the players believe in each other ,sh!t i even think that the majority of the fans believe now (if not this year then certainly next ) .

I've said it from day one . This season has been feckin brilliant , the ups and downs the glorious wins ,the shItty draws ,everything . Being in a full blown title race is where it's at , none of this finishing 4th business.

If we don't win it this year (and i really do believe we will ) i will be gutted like we all will ,but think about next season and what a time we are going to have . Oooo i've got goosebumps just thinking about it .

Anyway i'm back now and will be posting more from now on (win ,lose or draw.) Unlucky for you lot .

Y.N.W.A.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:35 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Alright sh!tehawks. Bit of sobre posting i think .

Good post bigmick . (remember my pm mate , it's still on )

Biggest difference after January . BELIEF .

Rafa believes in his players , the players believe in each other ,sh!t i even think that the majority of the fans believe now (if not this year then certainly next ) .

I've said it from day one . This season has been feckin brilliant , the ups and downs the glorious wins ,the shItty draws ,everything . Being in a full blown title race is where it's at , none of this finishing 4th business.

If we don't win it this year (and i really do believe we will ) i will be gutted like we all will ,but think about next season and what a time we are going to have . Oooo i've got goosebumps just thinking about it .

Anyway i'm back now and will be posting more from now on (win ,lose or draw.) Unlucky for you lot .

Y.N.W.A.

Welcome back Lash  :cool:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby algymoon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:53 pm

???
It was not a good performance at all, full of bad mistakes all over the pitch, Rafa’s team selection was quite defensive, we ought to have started with two strikers, i.e. Torres and Ngog, or Babel, at the back Insur should be ahead of Aurelio (he is disappointing) Insur is a sound defender and more mobile.
We have given the game away, and I cannot see M.Utd will mess up this great position they are in now, we could end up empty handed this season, like the past three seasons, nothing to cheer about.
algymoon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion