ARSENAL V. LIVERPOOL - Wed. April 2nd - Champions League Quarter Finals

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby duk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:47 am

luck or not draw we did, result is what matters, we got a decent 1
duk

Postby bigmick » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:11 am

We got a couple of breaks, but I really can't see where those who seemingly expected us to go down there and play them off the park are coming from. It was a solid defensive display, and that was always about as good as you could hope for. Put it this way, after they absolutely gave us a lesson in the League at Anfield earlier in the season, if someone had told you then we were going to be playing them in the Champions League quarter finals and asked you if you fancied taking a draw in the away leg or not, my feeling is pretty much everyone would have grabbed that with open ams.

The time to be talking about who looked good, played well and strung passes together is after the game at anfield, the second leg. To be totally honest, even then if we haven't really got going I really could care less as long as we go through.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:37 am

bigmick wrote:We got a couple of breaks, but I really can't see where those who seemingly expected us to go down there and play them off the park are coming from. It was a solid defensive display, and that was always about as good as you could hope for. Put it this way, after they absolutely gave us a lesson in the League at Anfield earlier in the season, if someone had told you then we were going to be playing them in the Champions League quarter finals and asked you if you fancied taking a draw in the away leg or not, my feeling is pretty much everyone would have grabbed that with open ams.

The time to be talking about who looked good, played well and strung passes together is after the game at anfield, the second leg. To be totally honest, even then if we haven't really got going I really could care less as long as we go through.

Good post BigMick but I think we overdid it in the second half.  We kind of looked like Middlesbrough did when they went there and it was very dangerous.  We should have sat back but at the same time we should have at least tried more counter attacks to exploit the large amount of room that they left at the back.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby azhan00 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:39 am

yeah
we were too deep defending... of course their mids and wingers were running all over the field.. but if we stayed focus and ready for counter attacks... the could be something there...
i think sanderos is very vulnerable.. he is not fast enough to challenge even gerrard not to say torres..
just need to ensure that the clearance ball reach somebody and 3 - 4 others going forward to support...

we get what we need.. a draw and an away goal
let's put the good result being more meaningful by beating them next week :)
azhan00

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:41 am

stmichael wrote:
Sabre wrote:A question here.

Yesterday I could watch those stats that appear in TV in which you can read how much distance they have run during the game.

I agreed yesterday it was not the best day of Alonso with LFC2007, he said "too static" and I agreed, that's what I saw at first glance.

Just for my surprise, I've read in AS today that Alonso was the Liverpool player that ran more distance in yesterday's game, I wouldn't have expected that to be honest. I don't have the data online, it was in paper sorry, let's see if  I find it.

But the question is, does that specific stat say something relevant about a player's game? IMHO running much is good sometimes, but running much other times means you were not were you should be and you have to correct your position (when you are countered for instance). So, what do you think of this stat?

I thought he was poor again Sabre if I'm honest. I've been saying it for ages, but all he contributes to the team now is sideways and backwards passes. He's drifting. He doesn't create goals, doesn't score goals, and for all this "metres covered" doesn't protect the back four anywhere near as well as Macherano does.

Yep.

Like it or not he is becoming a passenger.
66-1112520797

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:42 am

NANNY RED wrote:
Sabre wrote:(For Nanny) I was thinking in Spanish there (we also use tackle).

:laugh:   Sabs your digging yourself deeper and deeper in to a hole :laugh:

Im off to Madrid on 2nd May Sabs i might have to use some of your classic  tacling talk out there :laugh:

:laugh:
Been one of alonso's biggiest critics this season but i thought he was good in the first half , made some good tackles and passes , also he covered alot of ground which was shocking TBH , i thoughtthat it would be kuyt , second half , he was average or maybe eveb below it , but so was most of the team except the defence and kuyt . Rafa got what he wanted a slice of luck and the away goal , now when we come back toa nfield we can put 11 defenders out and play for a 0-0 as we would still qualify , and its arsenal who need to attack more and once they dow e can hit them on the break .

Good result , advantage liverpool
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:45 am

KOPMATT wrote:Well sorry to just jump in ere but, eventhough it was a very good result for us the performance especially 2nd half was Just IMO Dire! No other word for it really, we were very lucky to come away with a draw.:(

In football , u need luck adn we got some of it which was long overdue , i don't give a sh!te if we were played off the park , domianted for ninety minutes and still won , a win is a win and especially against a top team that is a good result .

Arsenal will have felt more hard doenby us esp when they had 3 strikers on walcott , adebayor and bendter , to whom a big thank should be given  :D
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Kid Torres » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:49 am

Excellent result on Wednesday night for us, if a pretty average performance.

To be honest Arsenal could and probably of won the game 2 or 3 goals to as they had a couple of clear chances and a penalty shout (I thought it was a penalty myself but Hleb exaggerated the contact and only has himself to blame for not getting it) but a touch of world-class ability from Gerrard got us a priceless away goal and a score draw on the night.

I thought Carragher and Skrtel inparticular were very good at the back, Mascherano covered his usual amount of ground and Gerrard looked our only real attacking threat now and again as Torres had it extremely difficult against two superb centre-backs with no support because we were defending for the vast manjority of the game.

I was really dissapointed in Ryan Babel on the night, he looked lost by the pace of the game but I suppose it is all a learning process for him. Xabi Alonso still isn't anywhere near his best and I can see him departing in the summer, which will be a shame as I think he's a very good player when on his game and an even better person and professional.

Lucas annoyed me towards the end too. We broke out and he had it on the edge of there penalty area with 2 or 3 players up in or around the box for what was pretty much the first and only time in the second half and he divered on the ball and gave it away. I know he's young and still inexperienced at the top level but we can't forget that we are talking about a Brazilian international here and he should of done much better.

Fancy us to win 2-1 at Anfield next week and ultimately book our place against Chelsea or Fenerbahce in the semi's.
Last edited by The Kid Torres on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Kid Torres

Postby maguskwt » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:24 am

ok... i just went to an arsenal forum, just being curious... and this post from one of their moderators kinda surprised me... as much as people are praising about wenger and his style of football they do seem to think there's some problems with it

"The problem about going on about the "penalty" and Bendtners Clueseauesque attempt to get out of the way, is that they only distract us from the fact that once again while we had the lions share of possession, dominated the game, we produced few clear cut chances and took only one of them. This goes to the heart of the problem that we have had for two years with the Wenger style."

we keep on talking about "Rafa-styling" regarding rotation... they got their own "wenger style" also :D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:27 am

we keep on talking about "Rafa-styling" regarding rotation... they got their own "wenger style" also 

they dont no how lucky they are, whinging southern fairys :D
66-1112520797

Postby Reg » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:56 pm

Liverpool v Arsenal

Liverpool have hit the most long passes, 698.
Arsenal have been caught offside the most times, 33
The Reds have scored the most goals, 22
Of the eight team left Arsenal have attempted the fewest shots, 95.
Liverpool have won their last three Champions League home games, netting 14 goals in the process.
Arsenal have kept nine clean sheets in their last 13 away games in the Champions League.
But the Gunners have failed to score in four of their last seven Champions League games.
Arsenal won at Anfield in both English domestic cup competitions last season.
21 of Fernando Torres’ 28 goals this season have come at Anfield.
Dirk Kuyt has scored three goals in his last four cup games for Liverpool (Champions League & FA Cup).

Chelsea v Fenerbahce
In one game in Istanbul, Chelsea conceded as many goals as in the previous eight games in the competition.
Fenerbahce have only ever won two away games in the Champions League but one was in England, against Man Utd
The Turkish side have kept just three clean sheets in their 16 away games overall played in this competition.
Chelsea have lost only once in the CL at Stamford Bridge in the last 25 games.
Chelsea have attempted the most shots, 128.
Fenerbahce have attempted the most shots from outside the box, 56.
Chelsea have won only four of their last 10 Champions League games.
Fenerbahce have conceded at least two goals in 11 of their 16 previous Champions League away games.

Man Utd v Roma

Last season the Giallorossi’s run ended at the same stage against the same team. They won 2-1 at home and lost 1-7 at Old Trafford.
Roma have always conceded in the five games they’ve played against the Red Devils.
Man U have failed to score only once in the last 16 Champions League matches.
United have lost once in their last 34 Champions League home games, but this was against another Italian side, 0-1 v AC Milan.
United have won their last ten CL home games, including two versus Roma.
Roma have only won once in England in European competition, when they beat Liverpool 1-0 at
Anfield in the UEFA Cup fourth round in February 2001. Although Liverpool won the tie 2-1 on aggregate.
Roma have scored at least two goals in their last three Champions League away ties.     
United have scored 28 goals in their last 10 Champions League games at Old Trafford.

Barcelona v Schalke 04

Barcelona have lost only one of their last 18 CL games at the Nou Camp (1-2 v Liverpool).
Schalke have won only seven of their 21 all-time Champions League matches
Of the two away games Schalke have won in the Champions League, one was in Spain, 4-0 v Mallorca.
In the Champions League, Barcelona have never failed to score at home against German opponents, six wins and one defeat.
Barca have only failed to score once in a Champions League home game in the last 25 games.
The Catalans have kept seven clean sheets in their last ten CL home fixtures.
Barcelona have committed the fewest fouls – 115.
These are the only teams in the last eight not to have scored a headed goal.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:42 pm

Judge wrote:

i was furious at big niall for being a cack pub team defender :D[/quote]
There was too much rotation  :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:19 pm

Big Niall wrote:
Judge wrote:

i was furious at big niall for being a cack pub team defender :D

There was too much rotation  :D[/quote]
:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kobashi » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:34 pm

I think a major difference between us and arsenal is that even if arsenal would of won 1-0 they would still come to anfield and play exactly the same way trying to win the game.  While with us, 1-1 might change the way we play, instead of trying to win we might sit back and be cautious even though we are at home.
kobashi

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion