LIVERPOOL VS. ARSENAL - Tuesday, April 8th - 2nd leg of the quarterfinals

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:37 am

Aurelio for me isn't up to it. He's one of these who when we're playing well you don't notice, but when we're playing badly it's his fault kinda thing.

But hey we won last night with him at left back, so keep him there.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Scottbot » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:11 am

Bad Bob wrote:Right, bed now, I got a 12 hour flight to Canada to sleep through! Taxi gets here in 5 hours!!!!

YNWA

Where you off to, Scott?  Twelve hour flight sounds like you're heading pretty far west?  Have a great trip, mate.[/quote]
I'm in Whistler mate, think it must have been a 10 hour flight. Not too sure! My body doesn't have a clue what time it is! I've just finished eating a big meal but it must be gone 3am in the UK! We are in a fookin amazing chalet plus have got our own suite on the side of the building and we are the only buggers in it!!!! 2 others are coming at the weekend but only for 4 days so we've (me and our lass) have basically got the whole place to our self (it sleeps 10) plus it's catered. It'[s even got internet access!

Can this week get any better! Bring on the snow, i can't wait to get out there :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:14 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Aurelio for me isn't up to it. He's one of these who when we're playing well you don't notice, but when we're playing badly it's his fault kinda thing.

But hey we won last night with him at left back, so keep him there.

Did you watch the game last night mate? The guy had his best game for LFC by a country mile, he was excellent. It was particularly good to see him play with a bit of strength and aggression. He was one of our best players.

Didn't you also say that you didn't rate Hleb a little while back? How long have you been watching football?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:45 am

Is redforlife a member of this forum? If so, I'd like to make it clear that you are blind and a f*cking tit.

How anyone can say Babel was not fouled in the box is beyond me and needs a kicking. Stone wall pen for me. So what if they didn't get theirs. That's life. Over the two legs, we were the better side. End of.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:49 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:From what I saw tonight...United will absoloutely murder Barcelona.

You wanna make a bet on that?

Although, from what I seen and heard from the United game (never seen it all) Barca will punish them, or should. Roma missed a lot of chances, including a pen.

I fancy it to be a Liverpool/Barca final.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:22 am

Emerald Red wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:From what I saw tonight...United will absoloutely murder Barcelona.

You wanna make a bet on that?

Although, from what I seen and heard from the United game (never seen it all) Barca will punish them, or should. Roma missed a lot of chances, including a pen.

I fancy it to be a Liverpool/Barca final.

I'm hoping for the Liver-Barca final too.  I don't know if we'll be able to do Chelsea though, we're the favorites but their luck has to change sometime.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby bigmick » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:24 am

Emerald Red wrote:

Is redforlife a member of this forum? If so, I'd like to make it clear that you are blind and a f*cking tit.

How anyone can say Babel was not fouled in the box is beyond me and needs a kicking. Stone wall pen for me. So what if they didn't get theirs. That's life. Over the two legs, we were the better side. End of.

I guess I'll have to take the kicking then Emerald as I thought the penalty was soft. Mind you we're not talking Chelsea at Anfield in the league this season soft, nor one of the numerous Ronaldo dive softs, but it was a bit fortunate IMHO. Probably one of them which would be given once or twice out of ten and you'd never get away from home in a million years. Theirs in the first game was probably a six or seven out of tenner for me, not stonewall but one you're a bit lucky to get away with away from home.

I wouldn't though argue with you that we deserved it over the two legs. Nobody plays prettier football than them, but our sheer will to win got us over the line.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:20 am

I actually thought Aurelio had a good game, Kuyt too and Alonso.

If I was being harsh I'd say Alonso lost that bloke for the first goal, and Pepe 'according to GBJH the best goalkeeper in the world' Reina got his angles wrong for their first.

But I dont think I should be critising the team too much, it was a magnificiant team performance !
66-1112520797

Postby club_Levis » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:33 am

Kharhaz wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Yari7 wrote:An intresting fact is that we actually had more possesion then Arsenal in our worst spell of the game. We had 51% to Arsenals 49%.

It might be an intersting fact Yari, but I think you'll also find it is also utter b0ll0cks. "Posession" remains ours until they've actually got the ball off us again. In the first half an hour we were kicking it that far down the pitch it was taking them 30 seconds at a time to go fetch it back into our half again. If you add on all those thirty senonds's, we were chasing Hank Marvins mate.

In actual fact, we were probably chasing the shadows of the shadows which had just gone   :D

We were chasing BLUR's !  :D

Watching the penalty decision though and I must admit that was really harsh on arsenal. Not complaining mind, we have had a few dodgy ones against ourselves so sod em !

There was contact in the box Kharhaz and as a rule it has to be given. It is only that the one (on Hleb) in emirates was more blatant and should have been awarded.But anyway who cares  :D  :D
club_Levis

Postby tubby » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:08 am

You want to go back to page 37 thats where the fun starts haha
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:56 am

great game, only just got over the hangover... but the commentary had me raging... dont wanna get too down but WTF, absolute disgrace the way everything we did was lucky, everything they did was magnificent. absolutely made up... cheatski in the semis... not even looking at the final yet!!!

oh, by the way, we played arsenal off the park tuesday, by far deserved the result
Last edited by dawson99 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:02 pm

DaMo wrote:Brilliant game. So relieved we pulled through in the end, even if we did make it difficult for ourselves. :D As others have already vented, I can't say I was convinced by the sudden switch to 4-4-2, especially with Gerrard starting on the left. The depressing first 20 minutes or so made it blatantly obvious that it simply wasn't working for us, especially with Gerrard drifting towards the centre and Crouch coming deep to try and help the midfield on a few occasions. I find it difficult to criticise any of the players due to the manner in which we got back into it after coming from behind twice. Masch and Alonso may have been the weak links early on, but they got back into the game when it were essential that they did. Skrtel was very well composed, and while I for one were among those that were very worried after first seeing him in action against Havant & Waterlooville, it's good to see further confirmation that he is going to be very capable at this level.

Believe it or not, not all Arsenal fans are bitter. I sent a mate of mine who supports them a text after the game and he said he thought we deserved to go through. It almost made me feel bad about gloating...almost! :p

Bring on Chelski. Czech won't be anywhere near 100% if he does recover in time to start against us. If he doesn't, then due to Cudicini's injury as well, they may well end up having Hilario in goal for the home leg! :;):

Uefa have allowed chelsea to sign a goal keeper as both their first choice and second choice goalies are out and after the barnsley game where a rookie goalkeeper steele , ahd a blinder against us , i'm honestly fearing hilario and anyone else
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:06 pm

kolo toure- "liverpool fear us"

not as much as his own fans obviously :laugh:
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:08 pm

I've just watched the highlights again with a bit calmer head and a few things struck me. 

First, leading up to the first goal, Arsenal had us chasing shadows and you could see that goal coming for miles.  That said, I think Alonso switched off a bit ahead of their first goal and allowed Diaby to ghost into the box unmarked.  Coupled with Reina getting beaten at the near post and it's not the best goal to concede.

Second, Sami's goal was just a massive, massive strike and it, along with Flamini's injury, was the turning point.  It was our game after that--particularly during the first 15 minutes of the second half where Arsenal seemed to barely touch the ball.

The Torres strike was simply phenomenal and credit MUST go to Crouch for nodding it on and for occupying the attention of defenders.  Senderos, for some inexplicable reason, stood off Torres a bit but El Nino wouldn't have gotten anywhere near that much space had Crouch not been in the vicinity.  What a turn and hit, though.  Top, top drawer! :bowdown

For their equalizer I wish that either Alonso or Aurelio had just taken the booking and hacked Walcott down.  When that didn't happen, we were always going to be scrambling.  In that regard I think Sami could have done better by leaving Walcott to mash and peeling away, looking for runners into the box.  If you watch it again, Masch was lining up one of his last ditch sliding tackles only for Sami to get in his way.  A horror goal to concede and thankfully we didn't let our heads drop.  Also, WTF was Adebayor gesturing to their fans?  Was he actually telling them they could leave because that was game over? :laugh:

On to the big talking point and, for me, it's a penalty.  Forget how stonewall the Kuyt grab on Hleb was and how fortunate we were to get away with it--it's a different game and a different ref and this one made the right call, IMO.  Fabregas has a tug on Babel's arm outside the box, impeding his momentum.  Toure then clatters into him inside the box from the wrong side, taking him out.  I'd estimate that a penalty's going to be called in that situation at least 7 out of 10 times just because of how clumsy it all looks.

So, up steps Stevie and what a phenomenal take.  No easy route here--no side footer low or floater right down the middle.  Nope, Stevie goes for the drive into the top corner in the most high pressure situation you can imagine and buries it!  Massive! :nod

And finally, the Babel goal.  Some have credited Kuyt with a brilliant assist which might be a little charitable, seeing as he was just looking to hack the ball away.  No matter, it fell kindly for Babel who did the rest.  Great pace, great control and a superb finish to put the tie to bed.  Well made up for the lad who's had a real baptism by fire this season.

So, all in all, a superb match of football, if a little hard on the ticker.  Roll on Chelsea, again! :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:08 pm

neil wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
neil wrote:under no circumstance should we play riise at left back against arsenal, they targeted him at anfield in the cup last season and run rings around him.

He's better then aurelio . End of and thats why he should play , defensively he's better

wrong, FA is alot better mate, sorry but look at the cup game against arsenal last year, it was shocking, really embarrasing for JAR.

so we're gonna start comparing riise cos of 1 bad game against arsenal in the cup comepetition where our whole team was sh!te , well against barca last season he was having a good game , against chelsea where he ran almost the whole pitc another good games just on top of my head . Jar vs Fa , my pick goes to JAR , firstly fitness wise he's superior and defensive wise , he's also better
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion