Arsenal - liverpool. sat 5 april - Premier league, ko 12.45

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Boocity » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:23 pm

On SSN

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez insists that Peter Crouch has played himself into contention to start against Arsenal on Tuesday.

Crouch has started just once in their last six games as Fernando Torres, supported by Steven Gerrard, has become the preferred option for Benitez.

However, the England striker started against Arsenal at Emirates Stadium on Saturday in the Premier League and scored the opening goal in the 1-1 draw.

Now Benitez insists that although Torres and Gerrard have been in scintillating form, Crouch is now very much in the reckoning.

Good problem

"I have a good problem, because Crouch played well and Gerrard and Torres were playing really well before, so we have three very good options now," Benitez told Sky Sports News.

"We knew he was training well and against Arsenal he scored and played well and I need to decide, but it won't be easy."

Reports of Crouch considering his future have been emerging all weekend, but Benitez maintains his stance that the striker will remain at the club.

"He wants to play more games that is clear, but he knows Torres is on fire, I think he understands, but he wants to play and that is normal," he continued.

"I said before we offered him a contract and we have confidence he will stay with us."
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:04 pm

I hope Crouch plays tomorrow, he has been great against Arsenal and this time he really deserves a start.  However Rafa is really going to have to change our style to accommodate him and it could be risky.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Owzat » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:36 pm

It would be foolish to change the plan on the basis of one good performance, tempting I know but foolish nontheless. We're on a run of one defeat in 11 games and most without Crouch. And of course the crucial reason for resisting temptation is Crouch and Torres haven't started as a pairing since Sunderland on 2nd February, unless someone reckons Torres should make way for Crouch...................

And the theory they would work as a pair has little founding, they haven't started many games together and those they have had mixed results.

vs Reading (CC) - W4-2
vs Marseille (CL) - L0-1
vs Bolton (PREM) - W4-0
vs Reading (PREM) - L1-3
vs Luton (FAC) - W5-0
vs Sunderland (PREM) - W3-0

P6 W4 D0 L2 F14 A6

And most of those wins and goals were against relegation contenders (Reading/Bolton/Sunderland) and a struggler from league one in administration (Luton) Not the sternest tests, none of those teams in the Premiership are in the top 12, and not the best set of results taking account of the opposition. So would we really try and test this theory in the most important game of the season?!?!?!? Nicely taken goal by Crouch, I'm betting against him repeating the dose although Torres hasn't excelled against the big sides much this season either
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:59 am

From my point of view, we played a string of winnable league games

Every season we'll have a pile up of fixtures which are supposedly easy. Yet in the past we have dropped silly points to playing teams like this. The fixture thing cannot be used, because last season or the season before people on here were whinging that our earlier fixtures of the season were very tough. This got the blame when it came to challenging the title in May :laugh:  Not the fact that the gaffa rotated at every given opportunity, thats when the rotation thing started to merge.

I'm sorry but I just cannot put it down to coincendence each and everytime we think 'Rafa sees the light' and optes for a more settled team, that we have a decent run.

As for your last paragraph its an interesting one, and you may have a point. But again for me Rafa rotates for the sake of it, not because an average player can't put in high consistent performances, why would of stuck by Kuyt for the better part of two years when he was absoulutely shocking and couldnt hit a cows @rse with a banjo and leave Crouch out ?

But maybe you do have a point about wide players not being good enough, IF your theory is correct. If your theory is correct and is the "excuse" or pardon for rotating the question has to be asked. Rafa signed the likes of Benayoun, Babel, Kuyt, Aurelio, Pennant, and FFS Voronin aswell.

Its funny though LFC2007, you try to defend Rafa's rotation policy all the time, but you inadvertently bring up another doubt about the manager, not just rotation but his signings too. :D
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:03 am

Owzat wrote:It would be foolish to change the plan on the basis of one good performance, tempting I know but foolish nontheless. We're on a run of one defeat in 11 games and most without Crouch. And of course the crucial reason for resisting temptation is Crouch and Torres haven't started as a pairing since Sunderland on 2nd February, unless someone reckons Torres should make way for Crouch...................

And the theory they would work as a pair has little founding, they haven't started many games together and those they have had mixed results.

vs Reading (CC) - W4-2
vs Marseille (CL) - L0-1
vs Bolton (PREM) - W4-0
vs Reading (PREM) - L1-3
vs Luton (FAC) - W5-0
vs Sunderland (PREM) - W3-0

P6 W4 D0 L2 F14 A6

And most of those wins and goals were against relegation contenders (Reading/Bolton/Sunderland) and a struggler from league one in administration (Luton) Not the sternest tests, none of those teams in the Premiership are in the top 12, and not the best set of results taking account of the opposition. So would we really try and test this theory in the most important game of the season?!?!?!? Nicely taken goal by Crouch, I'm betting against him repeating the dose although Torres hasn't excelled against the big sides much this season either

Instead of watching the stats do you EVER watch the games ?

How about the stats in which Crouch has scored against Arsenal, didnt he net a hatrick.

If you love the stats so much check out his goalscoring record against Arsenal ............... Of course not you dont like him, so its easier to sift through some internet site and pick out the worse stats, or in your case the bendy ones.  :no
66-1112520797

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:42 am

Yari7 wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:The last time we played arsenal like this they knocked us out of 2 competitions the fA and the carling cup

Now we have the chance , we have already knocked them outta the title race and now we should knock them outta the champions league

I think you have spoken too soon. Thankfully, Arsenal are back int he title race after the Mancs drew 2-2 at Boro.

TBH , arsenal with a strong team could not beat us at the emirates and we were without 8 of our  players ,we were dominating the game . Arsenal are out of the title race and now its between chelsea and manure and i'm hoping that chelsea win it for the sake of our 18 title record .
Last edited by Toffeehater on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:40 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
Yari7 wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:The last time we played arsenal like this they knocked us out of 2 competitions the fA and the carling cup

Now we have the chance , we have already knocked them outta the title race and now we should knock them outta the champions league

I think you have spoken too soon. Thankfully, Arsenal are back int he title race after the Mancs drew 2-2 at Boro.

TBH , arsenal with a strong team could not beat us at the emirates and we were without 8 of our  players ,we were dominating the game . Arsenal are out of the title race and now its between chelsea and manure and i'm hoping that chelsea win it for the sake of our 18 title record .

i share the same sentiments as you toffeehater  :D
maypaxvobiscum

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion