LIVERPOOL VS ARSENAL - 21st april 2009. anfield 8pm k/o

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:28 am

Without scrolling through pages of disappointment, rafa bashing and xenphobic abuse, I can't tell if anyone else has pointed out what can happen when Bermenstein doesn't start a match thread. Congrats to Judge, you got what you wanted - or did you..........................?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:32 am

the fact is ok maybe this season we'll miss out on the title, maybe we wont, but fact is NEXT season we'll be a far better team.

come u reds - let the good times roll!
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:35 am

Lee J wrote:the fact is ok maybe this season we'll miss out on the title, maybe we wont, but fact is NEXT season we'll be a far better team.

come u reds - let the good times roll!

Yeah it's hard to look at this season as over when there is still a few weeks left to go. And with more possible twists and turns who can blame us for thinking we are still in with a chance.

But we will only be better next season if Rafa buys more quality players to improve the squad. We will not get better by not improving the squad. Our lack of strength in depth is what has cost us this season and this needs to be addressed if we are to move forward.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:00 am

Regardless any football analysis we make here, I want Bermenstein opens the remaining match threads.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:02 am

Just to give a bit of perspective
It was gutting to see that draw last night. But I for one would rather see a game like that with a result like that than any of the 0-0 draws we have had this season. I am not writing us off...yet. I did actually say in a previous post that it was all over and we will never win the league with Rafa. I am more than happy to apologise and say Im wrong. While we may not win it this year I now believe we have the foundations to win it next year and even the year after. The performances since the sunderland game have been magnificent and a joy to watch. The only bad game was the chelsea home CL game where I felt we let ourselves down. But what a response in the away leg!
Last night Arsenal did nothing and gained a point. Arshavin must be given credit for his finishing but he was gifted his goals by sloppy defending. Everything went right for him with his four efforts. Very rarely do things like that happen and I would bet my house that he will never score four goals like that again. We can blame Reina but I think hes class. Their goalie may have saved more shots but most of them were straight at him. The thing is we kept going.
I am so happy that we have started playing attacking, though sometimes careless football. We have shown that we can beat anybody and will not roll over without a fight. This heartens me greatly because I was fuming after christmas with the seemingly nonchalant, directionless and flawed way we were playing.
Of course I am bothered if the mancs equal our record. But I am content in the knowledge that they will have us to thank for our bad form rather than their invincibility. Ferguson has shown he is losing his grip, both on the media and reality. His rant about Allardyce was comedy gold. His team selection to play the bluenoses was even funnier. His signings are suspect and his team is falling apart. Berbatov is sh!te and Ronaldo is gone at the end of the season. That leaves him with shrek and quazzy as strikers. I rest my case.
We are on the rise and theres not a thing they can do about it...
:;):
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:07 am

Sir Roger wrote:Just to give a bit of perspective
It was gutting to see that draw last night. But I for one would rather see a game like that with a result like that than any of the 0-0 draws we have had this season. I am not writing us off...yet. I did actually say in a previous post that it was all over and we will never win the league with Rafa. I am more than happy to apologise and say Im wrong. While we may not win it this year I now believe we have the foundations to win it next year and even the year after. The performances since the sunderland game have been magnificent and a joy to watch. The only bad game was the chelsea home CL game where I felt we let ourselves down. But what a response in the away leg!
Last night Arsenal did nothing and gained a point. Arshavin must be given credit for his finishing but he was gifted his goals by sloppy defending. Everything went right for him with his four efforts. Very rarely do things like that happen and I would bet my house that he will never score four goals like that again. We can blame Reina but I think hes class. Their goalie may have saved more shots but most of them were straight at him. The thing is we kept going.
I am so happy that we have started playing attacking, though sometimes careless football. We have shown that we can beat anybody and will not roll over without a fight. This heartens me greatly because I was fuming after christmas with the seemingly nonchalant, directionless and flawed way we were playing.
Of course I am bothered if the mancs equal our record. But I am content in the knowledge that they will have us to thank for our bad form rather than their invincibility. Ferguson has shown he is losing his grip, both on the media and reality. His rant about Allardyce was comedy gold. His team selection to play the bluenoses was even funnier. His signings are suspect and his team is falling apart. Berbatov is sh!te and Ronaldo is gone at the end of the season. That leaves him with shrek and quazzy as strikers. I rest my case.

:buttrock
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby TheLad » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:31 am

Let's hope the Mancs lose tonight. It can happen.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby beng » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 am

Rate players' output in game versus Arsenal
link
beng

Postby Scottbot » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:46 am

Effes wrote:I think we can all categorically say Arshavin is a top quality player now.

horrible being proved right sometimes aint it Effes!?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:51 am

Scottbot wrote:
Effes wrote:I think we can all categorically say Arshavin is a top quality player now.

It's a fair shout Scott, I know there was practically a campaign to sign him on here and you two guys were the main instigators. It had been running for yonks before I'd even seen him play (I didn't see the UEFA Cup final) but although I may not quite have been in as much raptures as you lads, the was much to like about him in the Euros.

Peter Beardsley reincarnated for me, (I say reincarnated in a football sense obviously as Beardo is alive and kicking, no doubt still the best player at some masters tournament somewhere).
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:52 am

Effes wrote:
SundanceKid wrote:

I'll admit his finishing is class and he's got nerves of steel, but those goals were gifted to him. The goals were products of players in red shirts

The money we splashed on Keane should have been spent on him.

And Im not saying that with hindsight; a few of us said it.

I don't know how loud the stick he was getting from the Gooners was but I really wouldn't want a player like that at Liverpool.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:57 am

Sir Roger wrote:Just to give a bit of perspective

Good post.  I'm disappointed by our leaky defense of late but am heartened by the attacking verve we've displayed and the sheer will and determination the lads have shown to turn things around.  We've come up just a little short two games in a row now but the lads have scrapped and battled for every ball and have dug deep to find some truly wonderful goals at truly crucial moments...all without Gerrard on the pitch.

So, some observations.  When you get over the disappointment of dropping points at a time when we can ill afford to do so, you realize that our record against the other members of the top four this season is played 6, won 4, drawn 2, with 16 goals scored (16!!!) and a goal difference of +7.  That, ladies and gentlemen, is outstanding.  :nod  If we can carry some of this attacking swagger over to our encounters with the also rans next season we'll be right back in the title mix for a second season on the bounce.

I also think there have been some people that have proved the doubters wrong.  Rafa is at the top of that list, as many people felt we would never win the league under Benitez.  Sir Roger has changed his tune above, as has Big Mick in another thread.  Fair play to both of you and I think this kind of about face is telling--Rafa has what it takes to succeed in England and this season's proven it for me and many others.  Alonso's another who's form and commitment were doubted not so long ago and he's been one of our top players all season (check on the .tv MOTM accolades if you doubt me).  Kuyt has gotten dog's abuse from many but his contributions have been absolutely vital so many times this season that I've lost count.  Two great assists last night, a vital goal at the Bridge and the very epitome of defending from the front...well in, son.  I've also gotta say that little Yossi Benayoun is turning into a revelation.  Someone's lit a rocket under this lad over the past few months because he's been one of our most consistently strong performers going forward since February.  Two more vital, vital goals last night to go with his marker against Fulham and his winner at the Bernabeu.  He also seems to offer something sitting in behind Torres when Gerrard is out.  There are others I could perhaps mention but these are the men that leap to mind and give me confidence that we've got the nucleus of something special here.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby tonyeh » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:58 am

Scottbot wrote:

I wouldn't be shooting a load over Arshavin just yet boys.  :D 

Any striker worth his salt would have capitalised on the truly awful defensive mistakes Liverpool made last night.

His true tests are yet to come.

...and he still looks like a nob end.

:rasp
tonyeh

Postby heimdall » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:59 am

Ciggy wrote:
heimdall wrote:I will not ignore it just because it's an alcoholic hurling the abuse. I'm sure most of us on here have had a drink or two tonight but there is still no need to be xenophobic and abusive.

I am not an alcoholic yes I had a drink last night, but an alchie I am not, as for me apoligising to you  ???  Forget it pal.

I apologise about the alcoholic jibe but you do have a tendency to do this Ciggy and it is bang out of order. You are the very definition of an angry drunk and most angry drunks tend to be alcoholics but if you are not then I apologise.

It is however very interesting that even after the vile xenophobic and personal abuse you hurled at me you can't find it in you to apologise whilst I can.  That says everything there is to know about you, that you have absolutely no class or respect for other people.

Also very telling that none of your friends told you to back down and instead chose to attack me for defending myself.  :no
heimdall

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:05 pm

heimdall wrote:
Ciggy wrote:
heimdall wrote:I will not ignore it just because it's an alcoholic hurling the abuse. I'm sure most of us on here have had a drink or two tonight but there is still no need to be xenophobic and abusive.

I am not an alcoholic yes I had a drink last night, but an alchie I am not, as for me apoligising to you  ???  Forget it pal.

I apologise about the alcoholic jibe but you do have a tendency to do this Ciggy and it is bang out of order. You are the very definition of an angry drunk and most angry drunks tend to be alcoholics but if you are not then I apologise.

It is however very interesting that even after the vile xenophobic and personal abuse you hurled at me you can't find it in you to apologise whilst I can.  That says everything there is to know about you, that you have absolutely no class or respect for other people.

Also very telling that none of your friends told you to back down and instead chose to attack me for defending myself.  :no

How's the view up there on that high horse of yours? ???

If she doesn't want to apologize that's her business and trying to shame her into it isn't likely to work.  So, perhaps we could all just move on, hmmm?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion