LIVERPOOL V WBA - Sun 29/8/2010 ko 15:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Greavesie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:34 am

ruskiy playmaker wrote:
rocky29 wrote:no creativity whatsoever. Aquilani would of ripped west brom to shreds if he was still here.

Exactly, we really missed him today. :(

I've never seen Aquilani rip and defence to pieces in a red shirt

Berm - did that mean anything or did you just type a load of w@nk?  :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Fauxy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:40 am

The striker problem was again highlighted today IMO.

If Torres wasnt on that pitch, we wouldnt have won. N'gog wouldnt have scored that volley.

We are going to have more games like this soon except Torres is bound to be injured and we will struggle to score.

Hopefully Roy can get this Striker he's after!
Fauxy

Postby Bermenstein » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:42 am

Greavesie wrote:Berm - did that mean anything or did you just type a load of w@nk?  :D

Say it slowly to yourself, then gradually speed it up. You'll get the cryptic sound of it eventually.

I'll give you a clue. " Ahh for Fu.. sake"
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Haven't had the chance to see all of the game yet just bits and pieces. Didn't look pretty and we seemed to labour against a side I thought we'd beat more comfortably but as others have said "A win is a win"

Something that concerned me (on the little I saw) was how many times Gerrards balls to Torres where cut out by the opposition. Got me thinking, that when he's on the ball all teams are by now anticipating Gerrard to look for Torres, Stevie has got to be a bit more inventive with his options or we may as well just stick a big man up front and hoof the ball up to him and hope.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:14 pm

This is a game we would have drawn last season.

I disagree.  Our home form was quite good last season, particularily against the weaker sides.  We ripped the likes of Stoke and Portsmouth apart at Anfield.

it was just the away form that massively let us down.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Bermenstein » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:28 pm

jacdaniel wrote:

I disagree.  Our home form was quite good last season, particularily against the weaker sides.  We ripped the likes of Stoke and Portsmouth apart at Anfield.

Obviously not on Paper do we expect to draw this game. This is normally a banker win.

But the way the game was being played out had a draw all over it.

I am mistaken, I was refering to the 08-09 season.

Ok I am wrong then  :(
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:38 pm

Bermenstein wrote:
jacdaniel wrote:

Obviously not on Paper do we expect to draw this game. This is normally a banker win.

But the way the game was being played out had a draw all over it.

I am mistaken, I was refering to the 08-09 season.

Ok I am wrong then  :(

ah yeah.. we probably would of drawn that year  :(

So frustrating how we seem to improve in one area but then go downhill in another.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby OneHotRed » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:42 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Something that concerned me (on the little I saw) was how many times Gerrards balls to Torres where cut out by the opposition. Got me thinking, that when he's on the ball all teams are by now anticipating Gerrard to look for Torres, Stevie has got to be a bit more inventive with his options or we may as well just stick a big man up front and hoof the ball up to him and hope.

100% Agree, it did seem that 99% of the time when stevie had it he was looking for torres and vice versa, shows how much confidence they have in other players around them at this time, the same pattern followed when SG and Cole were playing, they both looked for each other a lot more than other team mates.
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matt_liverpool » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:03 pm

OneHotRed wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Something that concerned me (on the little I saw) was how many times Gerrards balls to Torres where cut out by the opposition. Got me thinking, that when he's on the ball all teams are by now anticipating Gerrard to look for Torres, Stevie has got to be a bit more inventive with his options or we may as well just stick a big man up front and hoof the ball up to him and hope.

100% Agree, it did seem that 99% of the time when stevie had it he was looking for torres and vice versa, shows how much confidence they have in other players around them at this time, the same pattern followed when SG and Cole were playing, they both looked for each other a lot more than other team mates.

Agreed but I think inclusion of Meireles would solve this problem. Gerrard, Cole, Meireles and Torres would be deadly imo.
matt_liverpool

Postby Reg » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Owzat wrote:Funny how Kuyt managed to cross chip come pull back without racing down the wing, you don't need to be quick and beat the man to be the other side of him - I'll leave the clueless to work that one out, or ask the audience or phone a friend.

Is that from  'Hold yer Plums' ??     :laugh:  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:53 pm

jacdaniel wrote:

remember the portsmouth game well ihmo. for all you aqua bashers out there. watch that game again. the way aqua controlled and zipped the ball around that game was unbelievable. best team performance of the year by an absolute mile.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby rocky29 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:56 pm

jacdaniel wrote:

remember the portsmouth game well ihmo. for all you aqua bashers out there. watch that game again. the way aqua controlled and zipped the ball around that game was unbelievable. best team performance of the year by an absolute mile.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:13 am

WBA dominated the game and deserved at least a point. Shocking really.

We sat (we sit) too deep and our passing and movement isn't nearly good enough. Lucas, Poulsen (axis MKII), Kuyt and Jovanovic (p!sspoor movement from both) held us back. Gerrard should have played in the middle with Poulsen and Pacheco in behind Torres, and the approach as a whole needed to be attacking instead of compact and standoffish - it's WBA at home, FFS, and they looked like the home side!

Brilliant finish from Torres but let it not paper over the cracks -we were sh!te and we must do better.
LFC2007

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games