ARSENAL VS LIVERPOOL - 10 feb 2010, ko: 19:45

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:05 pm

I agree Reg, but when you have poor strikers you can either accept that you are unlikely to score OR try to create enough chances that its more likely you will score.Try playing 2 up front ...... its not exactly a new idea and its worked in the past.
account deleted by request

Postby puroresu » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 pm

Scottbot wrote:
Reg wrote:Bottom line is we had sufficient opportunities in the first half to have slotted a couple and killed the game.

In the second half we were on the back foot and it was fairly inevitable they were going to score.

We didnt win because we didnt have a gifted forward to take advantages of the opportunities presented.

Would have been a different game with Torres up front or even a RVN, MO style of temporary solution forward brought in on the cheap.

Pretty much sums the game up Rich lad. There was nothing wrong with the way we set-up, taking into account our general form this season, if we'd opened up and gone after them they would have killed us 3 or 4 nil. Anyone who has posted comments about us coming out and attacking Arsenal on their own patch is completely naive. Chelsea won 2-0 the other day despite Arsenal bossing possession for virtually the whole game, the diffference being Drogba.

The result sucked but I was fairly encouraged by the performance yesterday. That's as hard as i've seen the lads work all season and they will need to continue in the same vein until Yossi and Torres get back.

I still can't understand what is going on with Riera though. Makes non sense to play Maxi ahead of him for 90 minutes.

instead of the route we took which was avoid defeat and surprise surprise we ended up losing anyway.

What exactly was the positives from the game? Infact when was the last game the side actually played well?  The wins recently have all been scrappy.  Its not good enough.  It could be arsenal or bolton. It doesnt matter.  The result may be different but the performances are the same.  Garbage!!

Players working hard is the minimum expected.  Players dont deserve plaudits for that.
puroresu

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:56 pm

out team simply dosn't have enough goals in it, with the starting 11's we put out each week we have virtually no chance of scoring 2 or more goals a game. The best we can hope for is to nick a 1-0. We have enough available players to pick a balanced team with plenty of workrate plus creativity but Rafa only picks the carthorses and its becoming incredibly frustrating.

A midfield which consists of Mascharano, Lucas and Kuyt will create next to nothing every time, especially when there backed up by defenders like Carragher, Skrtel and Kyriakos who have virtually no ability in possesion of a football. We dont have enough attacking talent on the pitch ever!
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:00 pm

puroresu wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
Reg wrote:Bottom line is we had sufficient opportunities in the first half to have slotted a couple and killed the game.

In the second half we were on the back foot and it was fairly inevitable they were going to score.

We didnt win because we didnt have a gifted forward to take advantages of the opportunities presented.

Would have been a different game with Torres up front or even a RVN, MO style of temporary solution forward brought in on the cheap.

Pretty much sums the game up Rich lad. There was nothing wrong with the way we set-up, taking into account our general form this season, if we'd opened up and gone after them they would have killed us 3 or 4 nil. Anyone who has posted comments about us coming out and attacking Arsenal on their own patch is completely naive. Chelsea won 2-0 the other day despite Arsenal bossing possession for virtually the whole game, the diffference being Drogba.

The result sucked but I was fairly encouraged by the performance yesterday. That's as hard as i've seen the lads work all season and they will need to continue in the same vein until Yossi and Torres get back.

I still can't understand what is going on with Riera though. Makes non sense to play Maxi ahead of him for 90 minutes.

instead of the route we took which was avoid defeat and surprise surprise we ended up losing anyway.

What exactly was the positives from the game? Infact when was the last game the side actually played well?  The wins recently have all been scrappy.  Its not good enough.  It could be arsenal or bolton. It doesnt matter.  The result may be different but the performances are the same.  Garbage!!

Players working hard is the minimum expected.  Players dont deserve plaudits for that.

my thougts exactly, workrate is the most overated thing in football, it should come as standard. You dont win anything if you dont have abilty and talent. It seems to me that Rafa always favours hard work over talent, which is just wrong.

Also agree about our performances lately, we have a lot of guts and determination and the team have worked there socks of which is encouraging, but where are the peformances, not once in this unbeaten run have we played anyone of the pitch, we were holding on for dear life against Spurs at home, its embarrasing, were supposed to be Liverpool for gods sake!

If want to qualify for the champions league and do well in the Uefa cup were gonna have to improve, and score some more goals, and hardwork and strong tackles dont put the ball in the back of the net.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:02 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:out team simply dosn't have enough goals in it, with the starting 11's we put out each week we have virtually no chance of scoring 2 or more goals a game. The best we can hope for is to nick a 1-0. We have enough available players to pick a balanced team with plenty of workrate plus creativity but Rafa only picks the carthorses and its becoming incredibly frustrating.

A midfield which consists of Mascharano, Lucas and Kuyt will create next to nothing every time, especially when there backed up by defenders like Carragher, Skrtel and Kyriakos who have virtually no ability in possesion of a football. We dont have enough attacking talent on the pitch ever!

Agreed,

You need a balanced midfield that can create something. Maxi Rodriguez is NOT a left sided player, he should be on the right, a position he is more effective in. Drop Ngog, play Kuyt upfront, use Riera and Rodriguez as wingers, drop Lucas, let Gerrard play in a deeper role and when Aquilani is fit let him push further forward (he did really well against Spurs in that position) supporting Kuyt until Torres comes back.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Gerrard should be moved to central midfield ASAP! as soon as he went back there against Arsenal we improved as an attacking threat, at least when he's there he can go and get the ball for himself rather than relying on Mascherano and Lucas to supply to him furter up the pitch, which is something neither of them can do
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:31 pm

puroresu wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

I'm not saying it's the way I want us to play, far from it BUT i'm pragmatic and realistic enough to see that our best hope of a result (remember we haven't won there since Camara's winner in 2000 - Playing in exactly the same way I may add, in the green kit I recall) was to deny them space in the final third, get in their faces and turn it into a scrappy game.

We don't have the personnel to go to the Emirates and pass them off the pitch. We should have, but we don't. The state of our squad is the manager's fault as far as I am concerned, at least in the most part but I don't have a problem with the tactics last night. A tleast not when I look at the players he had available.

4-4-2? I remember watching us play 4-4-2 at the Majeski, we were fookin dire, like we'd forgotten how to play with two up top. We just don't have the confidence or the players (especially without Torres and Benny) to go the Emirates and take the game to them.

Bet we would have shipped at least 2 goals playing 4-4-2.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby beng » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:26 pm

players' grades in the game with Liverpool

http://www.voteplayers.com/Matches....57.aspx
beng

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:58 pm

Scottbot wrote:I'm not saying it's the way I want us to play, far from it BUT i'm pragmatic and realistic enough to see that our best hope of a result (remember we haven't won there since Camara's winner in 2000 - Playing in exactly the same way I may add, in the green kit I recall) was to deny them space in the final third, get in their faces and turn it into a scrappy game.

We don't have the personnel to go to the Emirates and pass them off the pitch. We should have, but we don't. The state of our squad is the manager's fault as far as I am concerned, at least in the most part but I don't have a problem with the tactics last night. A tleast not when I look at the players he had available.

4-4-2? I remember watching us play 4-4-2 at the Majeski, we were fookin dire, like we'd forgotten how to play with two up top. We just don't have the confidence or the players (especially without Torres and Benny) to go the Emirates and take the game to them.

If we had "shipped 2 goals " would it have cost us any more points? The main thing we lost against Arsenal was any confidence that we had built up over the last few games. If we had "gone at them" and won a thriller 3-2 how much more confidence would we have rather than having the manager say to the players " you can't compete with Arsenal so play spoiling tactics and hope for a miracle on the break."

If Torres was fit maybe it would have been worth hoping for a tight 1-0, but when you have players who arn't adept at converting from the one or two chances we make, surely you are better trying to create a few more chances, and getting a few more in the box?

As parchpea said   " Benitez has dumbed the team down that both players and fans believe that this is as much as we can expect from our club " well I for one expect and believe we are capable of much more than defending/spoiling and hoping to hit on the counter.

My team for last night would have been

Maxi       Gerrard       Masch      Riera

Kuyt    N'Gog/Babel 

We may still not have won, but at least the players would know that the manager had faith in them rather than believing they can't compete with Arsenal, and the fans would have been able to ENJOY a bit of decent football for a change.

Postby Scottbot » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 am

s@int wrote:
Scottbot wrote:I'm not saying it's the way I want us to play, far from it BUT i'm pragmatic and realistic enough to see that our best hope of a result (remember we haven't won there since Camara's winner in 2000 - Playing in exactly the same way I may add, in the green kit I recall) was to deny them space in the final third, get in their faces and turn it into a scrappy game.

If we had "shipped 2 goals " would it have cost us any more points? The main thing we lost against Arsenal was any confidence that we had built up over the last few games. If we had "gone at them" and won a thriller 3-2 how much more confidence would we have rather than having the manager say to the players " you can't compete with Arsenal so play spoiling tactics and hope for a miracle on the break."

If Torres was fit maybe it would have been worth hoping for a tight 1-0, but when you have players who arn't adept at converting from the one or two chances we make, surely you are better trying to create a few more chances, and getting a few more in the box?

As parchpea said   " Benitez has dumbed the team down that both players and fans believe that this is as much as we can expect from our club " well I for one expect and believe we are capable of much more than defending/spoiling and hoping to hit on the counter.

My team for last night would have been

Maxi       Gerrard       Masch      Riera

Kuyt    N'Gog/Babel 

We may still not have won, but at least the players would know that the manager had faith in them rather than believing they can't compete with Arsenal, and the fans would have been able to ENJOY a bit of decent football for a change.

I see where you're coming from mate, especially the bit about the fans being 'dummed down', and believe me, i've lost faith in the manager's methods and his ability to take us any further than we've already been. BUT, there's a fine line between winning and losing, it may have taken as little as Carra staying on the pitch and Babel steering his shot a little wider to turn a 1-0 loss into a 1-0 win. If you asked me beofre the game, what was out best chance of winning at the Emirates, to abandon a formation and method that has proved successful the past 7 games (particularly against the backdrop of previous results) in favour for a more expansive approach I would say no everytime. The fact i'd prefer us to play that way is a sad indictment of where our season has gone, but every point is crucial in this race for 4th so I can fully  understand setting up the way we did. I also believe that confidence will not have been particularly dampened by the result/performance. Shipping two/three goals would have.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:50 am

so frustrating because arsenal were average at best. we lacked any real intent until babel came on. thought skrtel had his best game in ages but don't even get me started on degen.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:05 pm

Fair enough Scott I do appreciate your point of view (although I don't really agree mate :D ) I just think when you have poor strikers you can't really expect goals from the odd chance, you need to be creating a few opportunities before you get lucky.

I hope we show a much more adventurous approach against Citeh or we may live to regret it. Last season when we looked dead and buried in the league Rafa seemed to let the lads off the reins and we reaped the rewards, I would like to see something similar this time around, rather than just treading water till Torres comes back.

I think we have a pretty easy run in and we need to make the most of it, see who has a future with us and who should be moved on, which is difficult to judge with the present tactics where effort is worth more than ability.

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:10 pm

s@int wrote:I hope we show a much more adventurous approach against Citeh or we may live to regret it.

so do i because i'm going :D

this season i've been to leeds, sunderland, blackburn and villa. four of the worst games i've ever seen :down:

agree about the approach. i mean maxi looked poor the other night but it's hardly going to be easy for him playing out of position in a side with so little movement. i'd rather we had a go like we did second half down there last season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:21 pm

s@int wrote:Fair enough Scott I do appreciate your point of view (although I don't really agree mate :D ) I just think when you have poor strikers you can't really expect goals from the odd chance, you need to be creating a few opportunities before you get lucky.

I hope we show a much more adventurous approach against Citeh or we may live to regret it. Last season when we looked dead and buried in the league Rafa seemed to let the lads off the reins and we reaped the rewards, I would like to see something similar this time around, rather than just treading water till Torres comes back.

I think we have a pretty easy run in and we need to make the most of it, see who has a future with us and who should be moved on, which is difficult to judge with the present tactics where effort is worth more than ability.

Bet he doesn't though!!!! Rafa only let the lads off the leash once it was clear (apparently) that we'd blown the title, I got the sense the players felt it as well (they played tight when we were sitting top for so long). This time the pressure is back on and I seriously doubt we will see the type of performance we got down the stretch last season. I think it will be squeaky bum time for the rest of the season with 4th place going right down to the last game of the season. Fingers crossed, frayed nerves, hair pulling, screaming for the manager's head, the works! I can't wait.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:22 pm

stmichael wrote:
s@int wrote:I hope we show a much more adventurous approach against Citeh or we may live to regret it.

so do i because i'm going :D

this season i've been to leeds, sunderland, blackburn and villa. four of the worst games i've ever seen :down:

agree about the approach. i mean maxi looked poor the other night but it's hardly going to be easy for him playing out of position in a side with so little movement. i'd rather we had a go like we did second half down there last season.

Blackburn was the 2nd worst game i've ever been to dude! I've never been so bored!

So what your saying is your a bloody jonah! :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games