LIVERPOOL VS ARSENAL - 15 aug 2010, ko: 16:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Dundalk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:20 am

dawson99 wrote:u know what, f*ck the score, we've been awesome this game no matter what happens

Just reading back over the thread. I think Dawson just summed the whole thing up.

Roll on the next game we have a lot to look forward to
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:48 am

absolutley made up. 1-1 against Arsnal folks. Not bad for a 10 man team that finished 7th and without a striker on the pitch for most of it. And lets face it, they didn't even have a hand in the goal they scored.

nah, well done Roy, well done to the lads, well done to the fans.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Waldo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:34 am

First half was pretty ordinary from both sides. Arsenal had a lot of the ball and played some nice stuff without every really threatening as it was all played in front of our back 4. After going down to 10 men if you had said we'd get a draw I would've taken it; I think we all would have, but after putting in so much in the 2nd half and not allowing Arsenal any clear cut chances I felt robbed after the blunder from Pepe gifted Arsenal a point!

A valiant performace by the boys with some outstanding contributions from Carra, Agger and Mascherano. I don't think the contribution of Mascherano can be underestimated. He was awesome today.

I was also delighted to see the end of zonal marking. Our defence (especially Skrtel) look far more comfortable with man to man marking.
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby brentd4 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:08 pm

gutted, improvement on last year and a point is a point, but im stil gutted, really hope we get somethin outta city game
brentd4

Postby mkingdom » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:59 pm

I can't wait for the next game.  Very encouraged by yesterday, with every player looking a yard quicker than last year.

We looked at least a top four side, and the attitude and determination when down to 10 men was superb.

Ngog looked like a player for the first time, Jovanovic impressed, Kuyt was totally commited and full of energy, Gerrard looks back to something like his best and it was great to see Torres back on the pitch.

We were far from perfect but there was enough there to see we are going to have a much better season than last time.

Masch was a credit too.  I know he was probably playing to attract a move, but his attitude and commitment was superb yesterday.  If he stays, superb, if he goes, Roy gets to invest.

Bring on City!
mkingdom

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:24 pm

yeah! bring on City!  if we can take 4 points from arsnal and city I think we can consider that a cracking start to the season.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloMedina28 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Bermenstein wrote:
Owzat wrote:And Bermenstein, if you want to be next match thread starter I suggest you don't dally. These days noone waits around for you to do it, you can't disappear for months on end and expect to come back like you never left

Was living it up for a year in South America for the 09-10 season, and I could only pop in & out to lfcnewkit now and then, so I didnt really have time to browse the web, plus I was in a semi-state of conciousness for the said time, so I could only pop in & out of reality every now and then. So a big sorry from me to Rafa ( sorry I couldnt help out, which subsequently lead to his sacking) :D

Will start 1 0r 2 of the more important match threads and try to hone in on energy field I used in the past.
(In recovery)

I just hope I still have it!!

Is that what you look like, really?
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby PabloMedina28 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:23 pm

Waldo wrote:First half was pretty ordinary from both sides. Arsenal had a lot of the ball and played some nice stuff without every really threatening as it was all played in front of our back 4. After going down to 10 men if you had said we'd get a draw I would've taken it; I think we all would have, but after putting in so much in the 2nd half and not allowing Arsenal any clear cut chances I felt robbed after the blunder from Pepe gifted Arsenal a point!

A valiant performace by the boys with some outstanding contributions from Carra, Agger and Mascherano. I don't think the contribution of Mascherano can be underestimated. He was awesome today.

I was also delighted to see the end of zonal marking. Our defence (especially Skrtel) look far more comfortable with man to man marking.

Skrtel was the man, if hes finally shoke off his injury and gets back 2 his old self ill be happy.
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Well IMO it was a good game. I really was hoping on a draw before the match to be honest. I was just a little dissapointed becouse we had the lead and we were so close. We can't blame it on Reina ofcourse. It wasnt such a big mistake but even if it was we still wouldnt blame it on Reina, not after everything he cought. And I hope that I'll have to take my words back about N'Gog. There might actully become something from this kid. That goal was something, cosidering against who we played.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:43 pm

I thought we contained Arsenal really well and I didnt think they looked like scoring at all. Against ten men they were really lacking that intent and seemed a bit out of ideas for me

regarding the sending off. In hindsight I think if the foul was earlier in the game then he would never have got on the stretcher, I think he only got on it because it was the end of the half. Obviously I dont know how much pain he was in but it wasnt enough to stop him playing a second half of football, the soldier that he is
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Number 9 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:22 pm

Fans were amazing yesterday and the players all done us proud.We were pretty poor 1st half but the sending off fired the players up and although Arsenal had more of the ball they rarely troubled us.All our defenders were superb and anyone worrying about our left back situation need not worry anymore,Agger was great I thought and looked comfortable and solid!
Other stand out performances were Carra(who said he was done?) and Mascherano,such a shame Masch is gonna be leaving us.
Totally gutted in how we conceded and feel so sorry for Riena but sh'it happens at times and the guy has been world class for us since he signed...we know he wont make many howlers like that!

Have not really read the thread but I'm sure people have mentioned the man to man marking in set pieces,we looked a lot more confident and organized...I'm sure Roy will stick with it and zonal will be a thing of the past.Keep it simple,everyone on a man equals no confusion.

Just a shame we could not have taken all 3 points but its a point gained from last year when Arsenal beat us home and away..so alls good.I'm sure the players will take heart from how they played.

Just hope we thump City at the weekend,if they play how they did against Spurs we should walk it!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:24 pm

Number 9 wrote:if they play how they did against Spurs we should walk it!

methinks there are two hopes in hell of citeh playing like that again...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Scottbot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:40 am

The_Rock wrote:Anyway...am i the only one whom thinks gerrard is much better as a support striker than a conventional playmaking central midfielder ? Diaby, Euboe and Nasir were running rings around our midfield.

If mascherano goes....We need to get a playmaking midfielder..someone like a younger version of alonso. We are pretty stocked in attack now (Babel...Kuyt....Ngog.....Nemeth...etc) and unless we get someone in who is better than these players...i think a playmaking midfielder should be our 1st choice.

It's far more complex than that. Our struggles in the first half were nothing to do with Gerrard being inferior to Diaby/Wilshere in the role he was playing, and had Gerrard been playing further forward in Cole's position he would have been starved of possession in just the same way. For me, Gerrard ONLY works as a support striker WHEN he has a fully fit Fernando Torres playing ahead of him. We struggled because we sat very deep and allowed Arsenal too much time on the ball and consequently, when we won it back, they were in a position to press and our lads were all too far away from the front two.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:45 am

bunglemark2 wrote:
Number 9 wrote:if they play how they did against Spurs we should walk it!

methinks there are two hopes in hell of citeh playing like that again...

I really fancy us to nick a 1-0 at City on Monday. We looked VERY organised once we went down to ten men on Sunday. It reminded me of some of our winning performances against the mancs under Houllier. Will stand us in good stead against our rivals who look to attack, even more so with Torres in the side.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games