Man utd v liverpool - 21/03/2010 1.30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Dundalk » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:30 am

*******************Image****************

So back to Old Trafford we go just over a year after our famous 4-1 win there last season. Lets hope for more of the same this season. We go into this with a bit more confidence then if we had have played them last week, seven goals in our last two games and playing with a bit of fluidity for a change.

I fully expect Lucas and Kuyt to get the nod for this one with maybe Aqua on the bench in case we need something late on. No suspension for Gerrard so he will play alongside Torres upfront. I think Rafa will play a more attacking formation in this one because it has been shown that if you step up and have a go at Old Trafford you can come home with some points. We will have more or less a full squad to pick from (except Riera) and the players who have come back are starting to look fit again.

United have also scored seven in there last two game and have Wayne Rooney on fire at the moment, keep him quiet and we have half a chance as not only does he score most of their goals but most of their offensive play goes through him as well. Another to watch is Valencia. I thought at the start of the season that United had thrown away 15 million but since Christmas he has been on top form and the accuracy of his passing is phenomenal. Ferdinand and Vidic should both play but we all know what Torres did there last year.

We have already defeated United this term, with goals from Torres and Ngog securing a 2-0 success at Anfield in October.

Manchester United Stats

Last edited by Dundalk on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:48 am

I wanna shout and scream like I just did in the other thread and predict a good 3:1 stuffing of the bast@rds but my head says this is going to be a draw

We've hit a wee bit of form at the right time - might be the right time for Riera to prove his worth :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Fauxy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:09 am

I think we will win this 2-1, Torres scoring first and Gerrard scoring a pen from Vidic bringing down Torres in the box resulting in a red card :)
Fauxy

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:41 am

Hit them on the break with Torres and Gerrard is how I think we will tackle this one. A vital game not only for Liverpool's chances of 4th place, but for me too. I loved it last season when we won 4-1, a similar result this time will do me fine. I am a little worried that we may be a little tired after our recent game, but the players should all be up for this one.

3-1 to livepool
account deleted by request

Postby laza » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:47 am

When you consider our results  against them in the last three leagues encounters and our  current situation the old cliche its a funny old game comes to mind.

I like to go with a prediction of a win but considering the fatigue factor would be delighted with an away point
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:49 am

The referee for this match.....

wait for it...

Howard Webb :laugh:
Fauxy

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:03 am

Do we play Lucas or Aquilani? (or both?  :Oo: )
LFC2007

Postby babu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:29 am

Last year when we won 4-1, it was my wedding night. Me and a couple of the other lads kept sneaking off to watch the game. Easily the best night of my life.

I think we can do it again. I predict 4-1 to liverpool and a red card for Rooney.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:16 am

do the decent thing Mr Vidic  :;):
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby babu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:28 am

Greavesie wrote:do the decent thing Mr Vidic  :;):

if that happened, would it be three times in a row?

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:05 am

They might as well start with 10 men, though hopefully Masch wont be taking a early shower either if he plays
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:59 am

babu wrote:
Greavesie wrote:do the decent thing Mr Vidic  :;):

if that happened, would it be three times in a row?

I thought he was already on three in a row.........................

08/09 LIV 2-1 MNU - Vidic sent off 90
08/09 MNU 1-4 LIV - Vidic sent off 76
09/10 LIV 2-0 MNU - Vidic sent off 89

He does leave it late, maybe he'll get his shower in early this time!  :D I'd rather he didn't get sent off, the mancs happen to be on "three in a row" of their own and I am dead set against them making it four.

I would suggest playing the said same side that played last night, if nothing else the confidence factor and rewarding their efforts. Bring on Aquilani at half-time if things aren't going so well, but that was a pretty reasonable starting XI. Only other tempter to change is that Babel would start in place of Benayoun, but maybe we also need to choose our battles - not quite McCarthy style but no sense losing Aquilani and Benayoun to injury, both likely to get kicked and one returning from injury.

So play Lucas in the freer role he played last night, added advantage being if we need to defend more then we have the extra 'defender'. I'd expect us to have a lot less possession, this is the mancs on their turf not Lille on our's. That might make a case for Riera on the left, but obviously that ain't gonna happen! Really good timing on the Spaniard's part, just when we need a full squad to choose from he goes and opens his gob, could have waited until after Sunday. What did he expect from Rafa "nice honesty there, you're completely right about me, I'd best play you from now to the end of the season so you get into the Spain team"

I think it's best to think the unthinkable and write this off as a probable loss, any point or three from this would then be even the sweeter. No point trying to build up our chances and give the mancs even more to celebrate, so far this season we've played the 'big four' rivals four times and won once, losing the other three. We didn't win at Stamford Bridge, we didn't win at the Emirates, as if the sheethole is going to be any easier.
Last edited by Owzat on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shawnk » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:56 am

Game of the season for me. The lads have to win this for me (as much as getting fourth place) so the scums wouldn't get the 19th title and some bragging rights. It's like a "local derby" match at my work place.
shawnk

Postby akumaface » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:59 am

If you ask me at the beginning of the week if I'm confident that Liverpool will win on Sunday, i would be honest to say i was skeptical as we need to play 3 games this week. It was a test to see if we are tough enough to make the best of what was remaining of the season. We need to become spoiler and beating Man U is probably the most meaningful game left for us this season. So, if we beat them, it will make us fans a lot easier. We also need to stay in the race for fourth. Although it is a remote chance but I think our players know what is at stake here and having played well against Man u the last couple of season, we should have the upper hand mentally. THey must be scare the Shlt out of Torres haha. Anyone predict another Red card from Man U???
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:13 am

1 - 0 to Liverpool (Torres)
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games