LIVERPOOL VS ARSENAL - 15 aug 2010, ko: 16:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:53 pm

fivecups wrote:I know it wasn't you, given you live in Canada!!  :laugh:  :laugh:

I'm going to watch your look-a-like again in 10 minutes on MOTD.

Where do you live in Canada? Toronto? I've applied to go there for a year next year - I was sussing about the place and I see theres a Liverpool bar which opens early to show the matches.

Nah, I'm on the east coast, mate, although I grew up near Toronto.  Not heard about that bar but that doesn't surprise me.  Loads of Liverpool fans in TO, including one Mike Myers.  :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby fivecups » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:09 pm

Mike Myers is a Liverpool fan? Never knew that.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Right, maybe clutching at straws here or my eyesight is acting up....then again, I just got new glasses so it has to be the TV.
Did Chamakh not handle the ball in the run up to the OG ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:56 pm

I was also unaware of the fact that Mike Myers is a Liverpool fan. Who knows of such things.

Anyway, I was a bit disappointed with how we played in the first half. Considering we were at home and Arsenal were missing both Fabregas and Van Persie, I expected us to have more of the ball. As it was we continued with a deep back line, limiting our pressing mainly to our own half. It's a different - more conservative - way of playing, but that along with Arsenal's own hard-work to win the ball back and their narrow approach play, limited the opportunities either side needed to create goalscoring chances. So, for Arsenal, it was because they hadn't the space or the inclination to go wide, and for ourselves because our deep back line and midfield made it difficult to get support up higher up, quickly enough, ahead of a very pacey, hard-working Arsenal team. We nevertheless absorbed all they had to offer without much trouble at all. And that persisted even after we went down to ten men. In fact, for the first part of the second half, we were actually pressing a little higher up and from such an instance of pressing we scored the goal. Gerrard, Johnson, Kuyt, Ngog and Masch all situated near the edge of the Arsenal box. Without that pressure, we wouldn't have won the ball back, and Ngog wouldn't have had the chance to stick in the net. I have no real complaints about the way we played in the second half considering our predicament. Perhaps Torres when he came on might have done better to relieve some of the pressure, and perhaps Maxi mightn't have given away those two freekicks, but other than that, our 10 men could hardly have been expected to repel absolutely everything that Arsenal had to offer. In the end, it took a moment of sheer brilliance from Rosicky for Arsenal to actually get in behind us and seriously threaten the goal (and what a save it was by Pepe). The equaliser was a bad mistake and perhaps a tad unfortunate. Maybe they planned to hoist it up at that angle so the sun obscured his vision, who knows, but Pepe really should have punched it away like he meant it. That moment of hesitation allowed Chamakh to get at the ball and from there, I think it hit the post and the rest is history. All in all, delighted with our effort and organisation, but there weren't so many questions concerning our attacking play answered given the game scenario I suppose.
LFC2007

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:49 am

FAO  5 Cups and LFC2007 re: Mike Myers

From his IMDB bio:

"His parents, Eric and Alice, were British citizens, which is why Myers carries a British passport.

Supports Liverpool Football Club - his parents were from Liverpool, UK."

LINK
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby azriahmad » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:27 am

I haven't posted for sometime. For me, it is more enjoyable to stay up and watch Liverpool matches telecast live here in Malaysia even during odd hours (3am) as my 14-year-old son is a serious Liverpool fan, he'd root for any World Cup team with a Liverpool player, except for Holland in the final as he is a massive Torres fan, even got a pair of Torres' boots.

I was disappointed with the poor refereeing in yesterday's match and Reina's made it more gut wrenching as Reina is such a reliable 'keeper and a bit cruel on him. At least we did not lose despite playing an entire half with 10 men.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby In and Out » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:45 am

. Lets face it is was always on the cards that Arsenal against 10 would score

Not in that game it wasn't, it never looked on the cards.

Also, Cole's red was a f.uck up from the ref, never in a hundred years was that a straight red, yellow yes, red definitely not.

Typical Arsenal though, young, soft and spoil t.

We should have had 3 pts today, lads deserved it.

Anyway in Roy I trust  :buttrock
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:34 am

azriahmad wrote:I haven't posted for sometime. For me, it is more enjoyable to stay up and watch Liverpool matches telecast live here in Malaysia even during odd hours (3am) as my 14-year-old son is a serious Liverpool fan, he'd root for any World Cup team with a Liverpool player, except for Holland in the final as he is a massive Torres fan, even got a pair of Torres' boots.

I was disappointed with the poor refereeing in yesterday's match and Reina's made it more gut wrenching as Reina is such a reliable 'keeper and a bit cruel on him. At least we did not lose despite playing an entire half with 10 men.

Nice to see you back Arizh

Certainly was a cruel end but considering the circumstances many positives to be taken from that fighting performance.
Both a great psychological and morale boost for both team and fans.

For me well in to Dirk Kuyt who after his long world cup summer and ultimately futile campaign  was out there going like the clappers and taking one in the happy sack along the way
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:02 am

fivecups wrote:I know it wasn't you, given you live in Canada!!  :laugh:  :laugh:

I'm going to watch your look-a-like again in 10 minutes on MOTD.

Where do you live in Canada? Toronto? I've applied to go there for a year next year - I was sussing about the place and I see theres a Liverpool bar which opens early to show the matches.

Your going to tell me where that is as I am applying for my MBA for next year in Toronto :D

Back to the game, we still have some weaknesses that should be addressed, but given the circumstances our main goal was to stop Arsenal from passing the ball and it worked, unfortunately we were 10 men on the field.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matt_liverpool » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:08 am

Hats off to the lads.  :bowdown Brilliant performance with 10 men. In the first half, we were just nervous but in the second half we were brilliant. Sure we sat deep from the start, but you can't go all out against Arsenal. They have pace and good passers of the ball which can hurt you badly on the counter. Roy's tactics were spot on, not to give any space and let them pass it around aimlessly. They are no Barcelona, and unless you give them space, they can hardly create anything. For me they didn't have a single clear cut chance in the game. 

Lads are hungry, determined and now know what to do. I'm sure we will be lot more attacking in the games to come. This is going to be a hell of a season. YNWA boys !!!!!!!!!  :buttrock
Last edited by matt_liverpool on Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt_liverpool

Postby The_Rock » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:23 am

Good result.........considering how the ref tried to ruin the game for us...

Anyway...am i the only one whom thinks gerrard is much better as a support striker than a conventional playmaking central midfielder ? Diaby, Euboe and Nasir were running rings around our midfield.

If mascherano goes....We need to get a playmaking midfielder..someone like a younger version of alonso. We are pretty stocked in attack now (Babel...Kuyt....Ngog.....Nemeth...etc) and unless we get someone in who is better than these players...i think a playmaking midfielder should be our 1st choice.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:34 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEavGan013o

Is it a good result with 10 men, or two points dropped at home? I'd go with the latter as the goners didn't look that threatening. re the Cole red card, I've seen a few replays and some angles make it look worse than others. No matter how we argue it, the ref could give red for that.

Feel sorry for Pepe, it's one of those that you think he should just fall on but he shovels into his own net. Reminds me of PES, the computer finds ways for the ball to go in including the keeper shovelling the ball into the net. We now haven't beaten Arsenal in the league since Crouch scored a hat-trick back in 06/07

N'Gog took his goal well, four goals in three games this season, we probably need Nando to start the next one though and I think we need to (set out to) win it. It will be a big test for Woy, getting the side set up away to be hard to beat but also giving it every chance of winning.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:35 am

And Bermenstein, if you want to be next match thread starter I suggest you don't dally. These days noone waits around for you to do it, you can't disappear for months on end and expect to come back like you never left
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:52 am

1st half was dire.

2nd half we showed brilliant character to go ahead with 10 men and create more chances...they may have had the lion share of posession for most of the match, but we seemed to handle it pretty well for the most part. own goal again to bring them back in the tie (we have a knack for that against the gooners) but it might have been a bit of a blow to come so late on, bit doesnt take away from the fact that we showed alot of heart in that game. here's hoping we continue to do so. we wont be kickin ourselves as much as they will. atmosphere in Kop was great in the 2nd half also.

we would have lost that last season. well done redmen.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby Bermenstein » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:57 am

Owzat wrote:And Bermenstein, if you want to be next match thread starter I suggest you don't dally. These days noone waits around for you to do it, you can't disappear for months on end and expect to come back like you never left

Was living it up for a year in South America for the 09-10 season, and I could only pop in & out to lfcnewkit now and then, so I didnt really have time to browse the web, plus I was in a semi-state of conciousness for the said time, so I could only pop in & out of reality every now and then. So a big sorry from me to Rafa ( sorry I couldnt help out, which subsequently lead to his sacking) :D

Will start 1 0r 2 of the more important match threads and try to hone in on energy field I used in the past.
(In recovery)

I just hope I still have it!!
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games