Arsenal - liverpool. sat 5 april - Premier league, ko 12.45

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:37 am

redtrader74 wrote:Wow 8 changes and for the most part, especially the first half, we managed to look fluid and cohesive, i thought that was impossible? Just goes to show the myth that it can ONLY be achieved by playing lots of games together, and the training sessions all week amount to nothing is in fact bollox. Another reminder for the Oh so negative fickle brotherhood who actually believe Rafa doesn't care about the league games, he brought on SG and Torres when it was 1-1, and at a stage when we were not really under the cosh, no need to do that unless ofcourse he felt like winning the game.

Well done Crouch, play like that, give your all in each game and you might just get picked more often, Arbeloa did well, as did Finnan, either of them should fill in the right back position for Tuesday, allowing Carra back into CB, because his lack of pace will be exposed again if he stays at RB. Good debut for Plessis, was neat and tidy, nothing spectacular, but did his job. Decent result given the situation, could have sealed a win in the first half with a bit more conviction.

Agreed a very encouraging performance, isn't it funny how Wenger manages to avoid criticism for not selecting key players in Adebayor, Hleb and to a lesser extent Clichy in a game that has now quite possibly ended their title challenge. Where were Wenger's priorities eh? Did he 'give up' on the league by not selecting his strongest side? (often an accusation made against Rafa). Prior to kick off I noted that some of the usual suspects criticised Rafa for his team selection, saying he only cares about Europe etc. Why would Rafa bring on Torres and Gerrard when it was 1-1 with the game well and truly there for the taking, just for a laugh? Or perhaps he actually wanted to win the game in order to sustain our lead over Everton? Just a thought.
LFC2007

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:39 am

So......did we miss Masher??  ???
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:45 am

Where were Wenger's priotities eh?

Hes been working out but im sure they will be back ! :D
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:34 am

I've just watched the match this morning, and from my earlier grumblings in this thread about the team selection I find my self quite satisfied with that performance and result. I just hope that as a result of the good performance and the descent reslut it doesnt give Rafa the belief to rotate "his stylee".

Anyhow I thought we were the better team, even after 8 changes !!! During the course of the game. I think we had the better opportunities to win the game, with Voronin who probably had the best two chances to take three points.

Crouchs' goal was a cracker (where are ya Owzat?) He still offers us something and have become an admirer of him ever since he arrived at Anfield. I'd even go as far as to say, that the Arsenal CHs' found him harder to handle than Torres, and he may well be in Rafas' thoughts for Tuesdays game, he would mine.

Our midfield largely controlled that game and the two young defensive midfielders had good games. That Plessi didnt look overawed by the occassion and reminded me of Hamman the way he played it simple. The lad had a good game considering it was his first and his tackling was very good too. Even the one on Walcott when all those Arsenal fans got on their high and mighty, he won the ball for me it was  good challenge. Him and Lucas played really well.

The more experianced players ahead of them werent quite as good, Pennant tried but nothing materialised from him. Riise looked like a fish out of water that far up and at times looked laboured. Benayoun, the Israeli is frustrating me. I dont know if its because hes got one of those faces I'd love to punch :D  or the fact he hides too much during games, along with his lightweight strength he gets easily brushed off the ball for me and doesnt do enough with the ball when in possession. I did have high hopes for him in the summer, becasue he is an intelligent player, but as we've found out with Alonso you need more than intelligence if your to hold down a starting place week in week out.

Carra and Skertel, well infact the entire back four unit were solid today. Finnan came back in and impressed and made a blinding tackle in the first half when Eboure tried to feed the ball accross to Fabregas on the edge of the six yard box. Finnans tackle was sublime, and his game throughout the 90 I thought was good. Arbeloa too, I like him I think he is our best LB although hes right footed, a good defender who is well underated around here, he likes to get forward too and I wouldnt have any worries with him starting at LB on Tuesday against Arsenal, although I feel Benitez will revert back to Aurelio.

Carra was brilliant today, as usual no-nonsense defending is what you almost come to expect from him, a great kleader. Skertel is continuing to impress me, I think he looks a good player, still raw in some aspects but looked more than comfortable out their today another good disply from him.

Their goal was annoying, they never looked like scoring from open play and as of late our defending from set-pieces has been found wanting. Its not the zonal marking, its the players using it, thats the problem. I think it was Crouch who let that Bender bloke dart into a goal side position to bullit home the header. The defending was poor.
But I have to say Pepe Reina was equally as bad. You can tell from watching him his achilles heels is his coming for crosses. His decision making is poor for me, and thats becasue I feel he isnt confident in claiming them. I mean from six yards out you'd expect a apparenty "world class" keeper to come out for that. He was rooted to his line which says to me he isnt confident in himself about coming for these balls. A keeper IMO is suppose to command the 18 yard box, the 6 yard box should be his when balls are being tossed in, he has to take command over his defenders in that small area, because if he doesnt not only will he loose the confidence in his defence but goals will leak too.

all in all good performance decent result, hopefully we will have a mental edge over Arsenal come Tuesday, and for all this rotating a physical edge. Well doen Rafa it paid off this time, but FFS dont go back to it on a regular basis. :D
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:53 am

Agreed a very encouraging performance, isn't it funny how Wenger manages to avoid criticism for not selecting key players in Adebayor, Hleb and to a lesser extent Clichy in a game that has now quite possibly ended their title challenge. Where were Wenger's priorities eh? Did he 'give up' on the league by not selecting his strongest side?

We dont support Arsenal.
66-1112520797

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:55 am

Well spotted.
LFC2007

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:59 am

LFC2007 wrote:Well spotted.

Why make nonsical posts about Wenger then, as from where I'm sitting you seem more woried about Wenger, you dont support Arsenal do you ?
66-1112520797

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:11 am

Bamaga man wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Well spotted.

Why make nonsical posts about Wenger then, as from where I'm sitting you seem more woried about Wenger, you dont support Arsenal do you ?

I clearly don't support Arsenal, that would be a nonsensical question.

I'm making the point that those who arselick Wenger to high heaven regularly fail to criticise him or point out the obvious, that today he rested key players, and not a word is mentioned about him 'giving up on the league' - an accusation that those same Wenger-lickers regularly make against Rafa. Why is that relevant? Because criticism should be fair and balanced. I wasn't solely alluding to certain people on this forum by the way, I'm also alluding to the media, not a word about 'prioritising Europe ahead of league' or indeed 'giving up' on league, comments Rafa has often been subjected to.
LFC2007

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:12 am

those who arselick Wenger

who are they then?

'm making the point that those who arselick Wenger to high heaven regularly fail to criticise him or point out the obvious, that today he rested key players, and not a word is mentioned about him 'giving up on the league'

And why would any LFC fan want to point that out, as I said we dont support Arsenal.

I wasn't solely alluding to certain people on this forum by the way, I'm also alluding to the media,

Well thats the problem solved, I thougght you were alluding people on thuis forum, lucky you.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:15 am

I don't think I need to state who they are as that would invite a 'flame war', but it's pretty obvious I think.

And why would any LFC fan want to point that out, as I said we dont support Arsenal.

In that case, let's not praise (or even mention) Wenger or any other manager, or any other club for that matter when it comes to comparing them with us, or Rafa.

That's fine by me.
LFC2007

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:16 am

LFC2007 wrote:I don't think I need to state who they are as that would invite a 'flame war', but it's pretty obvious I think.

You mean me ?
66-1112520797

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:19 am

Pop an ice cube into your drinks fellas and the conversation becomes lighter.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:27 am

Kharhaz wrote:Pop an ice cube into your drinks fellas and the conversation becomes lighter.

:D

I'm drinking tea.
66-1112520797

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:35 am

ho nice would it be to have the quandry of still being in the title race
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:42 am

LFC2007 wrote:I don't think I need to state who they are as that would invite a 'flame war', but it's pretty obvious I think.

In that case, let's not praise (or even mention) Wenger or any other manager, or any other club for that matter when it comes to comparing them with us, or Rafa.

That's fine by me.

You brought Wenger up though ?
66-1112520797

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion