Arsenal - liverpool. sat 5 april - Premier league, ko 12.45

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ConnO'var » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:21 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:Good result.

Judging from the comments on here, it would appear that we played well.
Gooners' title hopes looks to be gone now.

Couldn't see the match... they're not televising here but judging from the videos hijawi put up, Voronin looks really rusty..... I wouldn't say sh!te as he DID manage to get himself into a good position, especially in the 2nd instance.... but touch and composure was not there.

All in all, happy with the result. :D

We could've won it the first half Conn when Arsenal weren't at the races but we didn't really have the pace to exploit our advantage. Crouchie played really well winning loads high balls , if Torres had been on (alongside Crouch) he would have had a field day.

Second half Arsenal remembered how good they can be and really gave us a game , 1-1 was probabably a fair reflection of the game with both sides missing some sitters, Arsenal somehow always looked a bit more manacing than us when going forward.

Lot of people having a pop at Voronin (who wasn't good) but the real "weakest link" today was Pennant , absolute sh'ite ! half the time he looked as though he thought he was playing in some local park 5 a side kick about , no focus or determination and f'uck all skill.

Thanks for the details woof...  much appreciated.

They don't show the game in the hotel here. Only the FA cup semi with Portsmouth v WBA ffs! :censored: off I couldn't watch it.

Torres and Crouch would have been good in a 4-4-2 I've always felt but not in the current formation. I never understood why Rafa is unwilling to try the combo.

The voronin thingy did surprise me as what little I did see of him in the videos hinted at rustiness and a lack of confidence more than anything.

Pennant.... enuff has been said by me about him really so I won't belabour the point except to say that it doesn't surprise me.

Still... all in all, a good day at the races.

Lets rip 'em a new 'un at Anfield!
ConnO'var

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:27 pm

who is damien plessis?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:29 pm

puroresu wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:good result with some very average players.

Crouch proving again that he should be in the side at all costs, zonal marking proving again it shouldn't be in the side.

Very impressed by the young Plessiss. Good neat passes, couple of crunching tackles which is always good to see, and even a shot from the edge of the box. All round good debut and wouldn't see him given more of a go in future.

and where do u play crouch in the current system if u also want to play torres?

Well in an ideal world it'd be 4-4-2. Crouch and Torres up front. If that means Alonso/Mascheranho/Kuyt misses out then so be it.

Yes the current system has worked and we've looked as good as we have all season with this new system, but Crouch needs to play because he's the best partner for Torres we have. When you play against Crouch, you need a defender or two to go and try and win the first and second ball leaving Torres alone. I don't know how many times they've played up front together, but one game they did play up front together, Torres scored a hattrick...away from home (reading carling cup)
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Yari7 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:54 pm

I called it before the First leg at the Emirates, but I think Crouch will be the key.

It was obvious Crouch was going to give Arsenal problems liek he always has. Toure and Gallas struggled with Drogba, and they stuggled with Anelka. Coruch gave them even mroe problems..

He has to be in the first team for Tuesday. We should go 4-4-2 to accomodate Crouch.

Crouch did a far better Job then Torres did. You feel that Gallas can handle Torres, but with Crouch, you don't have that feeling.
Yari7

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:04 pm

I'd love to see Crouch being given more of a chance to play up top with Torres, Crouch reminded us again today of what a handful he can be for defenders, constantly occupying the attentions of two sometimes three of the Arsenal players.

In todays after match interview Rafa says he wants to hang on to Crouch , when asked how the system would accommodate Crouch Rafa responded with "Sometimes we will play 442 "

I wonder if he'll surprise us on Tuesday ?

.                                       Reina
.    Arbeloa         Carragher              Skrtel         Aurellio

.   Babel ( ! )       Mascherano      Gerrard           Riise

.                                             Torres
.                                Crouch (!)

(!)  = surprise  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Avi Cohen » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Good result. Pessis played really well - reminded me of one Glenn Hysen, but in a good way.
Brave move from Rafa putting out a totally different team, and it showed that Crouch still has a lot to offer. I'd love to see him paired with Torres up front. What is it, by the way, with this 'everybody back' tactic for corners and free kicks? Surely if we clear it, it's only going to come straight back at us. Leave on up front, Rafa!

My line up for Tuesday would be...

Reina
Carragher          Skrtel                   Hyppia            Arbeloa

Masch

Gerrard            Alonso         Babel

Crouch           Torres

I think that team would put the skids on an Arsenal team looking for a win.
AND HERE COMES AVI COHEN!! OH I SAY - AT THE SAME END HE'S GOT ONE BACK!!!!!!!!!!
Avi Cohen

Postby Yari7 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:14 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I'd love to see Crouch being given more of a chance to play up top with Torres, Crouch reminded us again today of what a handful he can be for defenders, constantly occupying the attentions of two sometimes three of the Arsenal players.

In todays after match interview Rafa says he wants to hang on to Crouch , when asked how the system would accommodate Crouch Rafa responded with "Sometimes we will play 442 "

I wonder if he'll surprise us on Tuesday ?

.                                       Reina

.   Babel ( ! )       Mascherano      Gerrard           Riise

.                                             Torres
.                                Crouch (!)

(!)  = surprise  :D

I don't actually think it would  a surprise. Rafa is a tactician. I would make some slight changes to your formation. I would put Yossi on the right, and Babel on the left. However, I doubt goldben boy Kuyt will be dropped especially after we just rested him.

Reina

Mascherano 

.  Benayoun                    Gerrard                     Babel

.                       Crouch                    Torres

This way, you haev Crouch up front to win the balls, and tyou have Torres sniffing around with Gerrad coming in to support keeping the Torres/Gerrard  partnership, but have them playing off Crouch. Babel and Yossi can also come tin an support.

IMO, Rafa would be crazy to not have a think about starting Crouch.
Yari7

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Babel is so one footed Yari , I don't know why he is persistently played wide left, I rather see what he can do given a go down the right . Imo Benayoun is probably a better wide left option than Babel .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:25 pm

was a very exciting game in the 2nd half, alot of space and alot of attacking football. I thought we dominated the first half and crouch scored a really good goal, but then Arsenal pressured and equilized.

Deserved draw.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yari7 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:25 pm

You have a point woof, because we will need someone who can whip balls into the box for crouch but I think that can come from Yossi on the right.

But with Babel on the right, he won't be able to cut in on his left.

I guess with the inclusion of Crouch, it is more important for good balls to be whipped into the box, but I feel we can get joy from that on the right with Yossi, while keeping Babel on the left allowing him to cut in on his right.

This time, Babel won't be doubled up on like he was at the Emirates, as the doubling up will most likely be done on Crouch which Crocuh showed he can handle.
Yari7

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:36 pm

You know, it's saying something when you're really disappointed with a draw away to Arsenal, after fielding a side that had 8 changes from Wednesday night.  Well in, lads. :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:38 pm

why change the system when we've already tried 4-4-2 all season long and stuttered... crouch played very well today but I wouldn't change the system to accomodate crouch... if it was diego or van der vaart or david villa then yes... but not for crouch... not when with this system we've won 7 out of 8 games...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Avi Cohen » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:39 pm

maguskwt wrote:why change the system when we've already tried 4-4-2 all season long and stuttered... crouch played very well today but I wouldn't change the system to accomodate crouch... if it was diego or van der vaart or david villa then yes... but not for crouch... not when with this system we've won 7 out of 8 games...

That's fair enough, I suppose. Can't argue with that.
AND HERE COMES AVI COHEN!! OH I SAY - AT THE SAME END HE'S GOT ONE BACK!!!!!!!!!!
Avi Cohen

Postby Yari7 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:41 pm

maguskwt wrote:why change the system when we've already tried 4-4-2 all season long and stuttered... crouch played very well today but I wouldn't change the system to accomodate crouch... if it was diego or van der vaart or david villa then yes... but not for crouch... not when with this system we've won 7 out of 8 games...

Well, the system was poor agaisnt Arsenal and it's not a system we have had tested properly yet against top opposition (The Inter and Man Utd games were against 10 men) unless you count the Arsenal game on Wednesday.

We changed the system today, and with lesser quality, we fared much better against Arsenal.
Yari7

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:47 pm

The best bit of today's game was when Mascherano drove down to the Emirates, got out of his car, entered the stadium, went through the turnstiles, jumped over some seats in the stands, jumped over the video boards, climbed over the bench, ran onto the pitch, then jogged over to the other side of the pitch, just to tell the ref that Crouch should not have been booked.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion