LIVERPOOL V WIGAN ATHLETIC 24-3-2012

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby yellsub66 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Just watched the game and it has ruined my weekend. How can we play so badly at home after the diabolical last 20 minutes against QPR? You would of thought the players wanted to prove something and bounce back. We were so lethargic in the first half and got punished with Wigan's only real attack.

None of our players seem to have any fight? Downing after a couple of good games was once again shocking. Kuyt was inconspicuous? Even Captain Fantastic was below par today! Why the hell was Carra in the team? Henderson was also *****!!

You know, I have a recurring nightmare that Luis will suddenly think to himself..."I've had enough of this f*cking *****. I want to play in team with players who have desire, skill and confidence, players that are on my wavelength, players that CARE". If we lose Luis we a F U C K E D!!

Talking of players who care what the hell has happened to Bellamy?

We have lost two games on the spin to relegation fodder! We are becoming a laughing stock in the Premiership. Next week we have to go to Newcastle and we will probably get spanked! I all my 40 odd years of being a Liverpool fan I cannot remember a run in the league as shocking as this!

Should Kenny go? Who the hell knows...but ANY other manager for a 'top' club would have been sacked after a run like ours!!

If Kenny plays the youngsters and drops those who are not even trying then that would be a start!

Sad days!!
yellsub66

Postby Thinkpad » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:22 pm

The malaise has already set in. Not too sure Liverpool will ever be able to pull through and regain top four status. I guess from this season's performance alone will most certainly be a miracle. There is much wrong in the team setup. The whole team is actually afraid to attack. The team has no counter attacking capability. For some reason the whole coaching staff doesn't believe in it.

Players whom previously played pretty well and able to cross suddenly develop two left foot and not able to cross or take corners. They can't dribble, keep passing the ball the moment they receive it. It can't be all the players fault or bad luck. Something must be wrong at the root of the club.

When Enrique dribble pass players, why didn't he do it all the time or more often? Is it because the team were told not to take risk. Are midfielders told to stay behind and not support in attack?  As the end of EPL is drawing closer to the end, suddenly the midfield gets more involved. Maybe KK is getting desperate and decided to risk it. The more risk KK is willing to take the better performance will be... I think. But at the moment, too many things are wrong. If the coach is not KK, things could have turned very ugly if this continue.
Thinkpad

Postby mart » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:23 pm

red till i die!! » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:21 pm wrote:they arent ready for starting but its important they get plenty of experience from the rest of our games.they hardly could do any worse than what we have been witnessing of late.

They looked more ready than Henderson, adam, downing and carroll have done all season.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby tonyeh » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:29 pm

Bloody Hell.............

:sleepy:
tonyeh

Postby roberto green » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Has KK been away from the game too long, probably get slaughtered for saying it But i think he has lost it as a manager.
roberto green

Postby Santa » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:48 pm

I have been supporting LFC through thick and thin for nearly 40 years and I've never seen us any more pathetic as a top league (the old Div One or Premier League) team than we are now...out of reckoning for the league since way back in Oct, out of the top 4 by turn of the year now we are lucky to be in top 10 by August. I've not felt so embarrassed or in such dissapointment supporting the team, not during the Souness or Roy's era..oh well maybe Roy's was a bit more depressing.

Now team from the bottom of the table can come to Anfield and realistically expect a result (and I think they are not looking for a single point from the visit either), and we are playing more like a relegation team now.

I'm not going to call for Kenny's head but I think he should seriously consider his own position for the good of the club he clearly loved. He (and Camolli) have made mistakes after mistakes in recruiting new players so far (exception being Enrique) and prospect should cost 3~5mil and not 20 or 35mil. We have spent serious money yet we are clearly moving backwards (anyone here want to call winning the Milk Cup, or is it Carling Cup now as a step forward? heck we nearly lost that as well and only won that against a Championship side in a penalty shoot out) and if the manager's name is any other than Dalglish, he would have been gone by now.

Sorry for the rant guys...I'm just sooooo depressed right now!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Thinkpad » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:22 pm wrote:The malaise has already set in. Not too sure Liverpool will ever be able to pull through and regain top four status.

Been starting to think that myself mate. Getting top 4 is a lot harder now than it was when we were in the CL. Now there are 6 teams genuinely trying for 4 positions. Aside from us the weakest of those sides is probably Arsenal or Spurs and tbh both have vastly better squads than ours. We are miles of top 4, not as in now but generally in terms of the quality required at squad level. People think we spent a lot till not under FSG but much of that has been wasted. We essentially need to spend 100-150 mil across the entire team to not only build a decent 11 but also some depth. Without that we will never see CL football again. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. And tbh without a stadium that is raking in more than what we get now and FFP around the corner I can't see that sort of spending being sanctioned. I think getting back into the top 4 is going to have to be a 2/3 year project and even then im not confident.

One thing that gets me is there are always only 2 players who make things happen for us. Gerrard/Torres now Gerrard and Suarez and both of them have been absent for large parts of this season. We don't have any decent attacking players whatsoever so no wonder we look toothless up front. If things don't improve in the summer then I can't see Suarez sticking around too long. Hate to say that but the lad is world class and that should be a good thing for us, but too often we have let top players slip because of our inability to surround those players with players of similar talent. We get in 1 or 2 decent players and throw in 8 or 9 average players and expect that to be enough. On top of that we have a manager who is for all intents and purposes the greatest player in our clubs history but has been out of the game too long so there is no real substance there in terms of tactics both generally and when things go wrong. It's dull most of the time bar some occasional sparks of individual ability and pathetic at worst.

I'm glad that we have new owners and they do have some money to spend but they have a massive job on their hands imo if we are to wrestle back a CL spot in the near future.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:56 pm

tubby » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:51 pm wrote:
Thinkpad » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:22 pm wrote:The malaise has already set in. Not too sure Liverpool will ever be able to pull through and regain top four status.

Been starting to think that myself mate. Getting top 4 is a lot harder now than it was when we were in the CL. Now there are 6 teams genuinely trying for 4 positions. .

I've heard this argument before, but you can also say that the top4 teams in the league are the weakest we have seen in many years. None of them are really good atm.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby RedSi35 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:01 pm

@briankettle: Dalglish: "We had a lot of possession in the game but we gave away the ball quite a lot in vital positions...it's because of tiredness"

Sigh........oh no, we played on tuesday......now saturday....... With a couple of 2/3 hour training sessions in between. Sh*t comment, these are athletes in peak condition with the best facilities money can buy.

Tired is that some fans are getting up 6 days a week at 5am working a 12 hour shift on rubbish money to pay for their ticket each week and be subjected to drivel that we serve up.
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Kenny: Tiredness took its toll

Kenny Dalglish attributed our 2-1 defeat to Wigan to tiredness following three games in a week.

Goals from Shaun Maloney (pen) and Gary Caldwell meant Luis Suarez's 12th strike of the season was immaterial to the result.

Dalglish felt having to compete against Stoke last Sunday and QPR on Wednesday took its toll.

"I think we looked a wee bit tired," he said. "We had a lot of possession in the game but we gave away the ball quite a lot in vital positions. It's not because they can't play, it's because of tiredness.

"If you play Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday it's going to take its toll. A lot of the lads had played all three games, and for us that's a reason behind our performance.

"It's because of the demand on them with games, and we've not had enough players at our disposal to give them adequate rest.

"It's a problem we face and it's dictated to the clubs and the players by the television schedule. The fact we've done well in two cup competitions has obviously given us lots of extra fixtures.

"We'll accept our progress in the cups and we'll have to accept that we're going to be a little bit tired. If we're going to be successful we've got to be able to handle it."

Referee Lee Mason awarded a penalty for a high challenge from Martin Skrtel and disallowed another Suarez goal for handball.

Dalglish added: "It doesn't matter how well or badly you play, you still need a wee bit of luck sometimes and there is no reason why the second goal should be chalked off for me.

"But we can't control referees, we can control ourselves. We'll brush ourselves down and get ourselves going again. We've got a week's rest now until Newcastle next Sunday, and we'll make the best of that."

The game was also notable for the debut of 17-year-old Raheem Sterling, who became the club's third youngest ever player.

Jonjo Shelvey and Jon Flanagan were also involved.

"It's nice to see the kids get a game but it's also better for us to look after them," said the boss. "We're not going to throw kids in and destroy them, but it's nice to see them on the pitch.

"Jonjo came on and gave us a wee bit of a lift as well."
Eagle

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:04 pm

Nadal and Djokernole in the final a few months ago. Now either of them would have an argument to be tired. Footballers moaning about playing 2 games in a week? Give me a fu.cking break. But TBH what is Kenny going to say, that his team are dogshite and show no passion whatsoever? Of course not.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:21 pm

Eagle » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:03 pm wrote:"you still need a wee bit of luck sometimes"

:sleepy:
maypaxvobiscum

Postby metalhead » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:55 pm

I'm sure he vilified the players privately
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:05 pm

roberto green » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:44 pm wrote:Has KK been away from the game too long, probably get slaughtered for saying it But i think he has lost it as a manager.

It was always my fear when fan power and the new owners went after Kenny in an act of absolute desperation when he was enjoying life on a cruise! Let's face it he was under minimal pressure when he took over as manager. If he failed it was Roy's fault and if he succeeded he was a miracle man. Fourth place became a real possibility but poor results  to West Ham,WIgan and West Brom ended any chance of that happening.No criticism was aimed at Kenny which was understandable but only to a degree given some of his tactical decisions.  Kenny took over a team in problems with new inexperienced owners and his second half of the season results reads  WON 11 LOST 7 DRAWN 5 which isn't really anything special. We even went out of the EL to Braga.Was Kenny's second half of the season performance really that impressive or were we just happy to see the back of H & G and Hodgson?

Kenny has behaved like a man under very serious pressure and does not look very well.His media peformances at times have been somewhat off the wall! I know he regards his job as unfinished business but is it really doing his health any favours. He looks as if he has aged ten years in the last 15 months!

In the last 11 Premiership games we have WON 2 DRAWN 2 AND LOST 7. If it was anybody else other than Kenny.....
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Johnny Boy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Just got back, awful, awful afternoon. Kenny was interviewed on Radio City and suggested three games in six days was the main reason.
I just think tactically he has lost it completely, Kuyt on the left as an example?

I mean they are a poor, poor side Wigan - I like their attitude and the way they play but they are a weak outfit, the teams at the bottom
must all be hoping they are playing us before the end of the season.

Since the New Year our league record is appalling.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games