LIVERPOOL VS WIGAN ATHLETIC - Wednesday 16th december 2009

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Judge » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:51 pm

NANNY RED wrote:I HATE THIS CLUB SOMETIMES

i feel sure that this quote will be shown to you in the future months ahead nanny
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Ngog is getting better and is becoming a very good option up front. The Kuyt/Ngog partnership looks promising.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:21 pm

redhayesy wrote:why has it gone quiet on this thread- oh i know cause we won a game an all fecking raffa haters have nothing to say! FFS we won, it was a great occasion tonight with the shankly boys etc coming on to the pitch at half time, that in itself made the players proud to wear the famous red shirt tonight, an if any so called added pressure was felt by them, they lifted themselves up tonight to win a football game an fecking made up they did just that!

tonight was an occasion that always will an quite rightly payed tribute to 'shanks' an what he stood for, as far as this FC  will always stand for for me- sing,support the team an remember what made this FC an carried us through dis-appointment to victory an success an continued succes through good times an challenging times. 'shanks' made one thing clear through all of this- we as a FC,it's fans an everyone connected with LiverpooL fc face it together, cause that is what is FC,city an everyone that loves Liverpool deserve.

so tonight was brilliant for me, the mosaic on the 'kop' was a superb tribute to 'shanks' an the win was somthing we should all be proud of!

Is right lad  :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:24 pm

JoeTerp wrote:We were NOT lucky. Wigan were lucky they didn't lose by 3 or 4. 

The FLAG WAS ALREADY UP on the shot that hit the bar.

It was a good performance IMO, it wasn't perfect, but it was the right result and it could have been better.  I don't think you can say that they deserved anything from it, it was (almost) all us.

Posters either need to be results people or performance people Its not fair to be someone who cannot accept a good performance that has a bad result AND ALSO a person who cannot accept a poor performance that has a good result. Pick one, because you are just being a negative nit-picker if your allowed to attack manager for both.

We had some very sustained periods of dominance, which was nice to see. We created enough chances, and took a couple.  We did allow Wigan a few periods of sustained posesion, and the odd chance, which you don't want to see, but we have looked worse defensively this year and don't forget that we had Skrtel at CB and Carra at RB, plus we weren't playing with 2 holding mids, and one of our CMs didn't have one of his best games (although I thought Masch played quite well)

Good post Joe
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:50 pm

Well a win's a win I suppose, even though we looked poor in spells again last night. Positives were Benayoun and another goal for Ngog. On the negative side Gerrard was poor again and the defense continues to struggle.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:25 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
s@int wrote:My point though Benny, was that Gerrard even in the first half when he wasn't playing as well was still pushing the team forwards. The players were on the front foot and knew if they made the runs Gerrard would try to find them. Once Lucas came on the passing became negative, we didn't move the ball forward as fast or as aggressively and Wigan came back strongly. We may not lose possession as much with Lucas, but he doesn't create the same threat with his passing either, and he doesn't get the team moving forward. They are all stood flatfooted waiting rather than making runs or anticipating a forward ball.

I really thought it was emphasised tonight.

The other point was that Wigan were frightened of trying to press too much when Gerrard was in midfield because they knew he could kill them with one pass, when Lucas came on they were comfortable pressing because they knew Lucas couldn't.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree then mate - numerous times wigan looked threatening in the first half was becuase they were gifted the ball to them from gerrard and lucky for him that masher helped him out on a number of times . Improved massively in second half back to the gerrard we know thou .

Disagree with you there, I don't think Wigan posed any real threat in the first half.

I found it really refreshing to see us start the match playing a basic 4-4-2 , creating loads of chances and with  better finishing we could have been at least 3 up at half time.

I'd be more than happy if Rafa continued with a midfield pairing of Mascherano and Gerrard with Torres and another up front.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:32 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
s@int wrote:My point though Benny, was that Gerrard even in the first half when he wasn't playing as well was still pushing the team forwards. The players were on the front foot and knew if they made the runs Gerrard would try to find them. Once Lucas came on the passing became negative, we didn't move the ball forward as fast or as aggressively and Wigan came back strongly. We may not lose possession as much with Lucas, but he doesn't create the same threat with his passing either, and he doesn't get the team moving forward. They are all stood flatfooted waiting rather than making runs or anticipating a forward ball.

I really thought it was emphasised tonight.

The other point was that Wigan were frightened of trying to press too much when Gerrard was in midfield because they knew he could kill them with one pass, when Lucas came on they were comfortable pressing because they knew Lucas couldn't.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree then mate - numerous times wigan looked threatening in the first half was becuase they were gifted the ball to them from gerrard and lucky for him that masher helped him out on a number of times . Improved massively in second half back to the gerrard we know thou .

Disagree with you there, I don't think Wigan posed any real threat in the first half.

I found it really refreshing to see us start the match playing a basic 4-4-2 , creating loads of chances and with  better finishing we could have been at least 3 up at half time.

I'd be more than happy if Rafa continued with a midfield pairing of Mascherano and Gerrard with Torres and another up front.

Bar that glorious chance that sharner had when he had that open header in the box and headed straight at Pepe - a long ball which came about from a misplaced gerrard pass and any other threat was snuffed out by masher , but only because of some great tackles .

I think the 4-4-2 will be used throughout the season at some stages but with everyone fit think the 4-5-1 will be preffered but still with gerrard in the middle with Aquilani behind Torres or with gerrard and Aquilani swapping .

But with Ngog there on sidelines we do have a good option to go 4-4-2
Benny The Noon

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:49 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Bar that glorious chance that sharner had when he had that open header in the box and headed straight at Pepe - a long ball which came about from a misplaced gerrard pass and any other threat was snuffed out by masher , but only because of some great tackles .

It's football, sh'it happens, I wouldn't class the odd chance as Wigan "threatening us".

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:49 pm

Its sh.it happens that could of easily of left us in trouble bar poor finishing from them .
Benny The Noon

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:35 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Its sh.it happens that could of easily of left us in trouble bar poor finishing from them .

??? ,

Lets ignore the chances we missed and concentrate on how lucky we were that their finishing was so poor.

You're boring me now Benny .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:38 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Its sh.it happens that could of easily of left us in trouble bar poor finishing from them .

??? ,

Lets ignore the chances we missed and concentrate on how lucky we were that their finishing was so poor.

You're boring me now Benny .

Whoa hold on there no one is ignoring our missed chances and they have been mentioned but doesnt mean we can ignore the fact they had some glorious chances to be well in the game and could of snatched a draw once again if it wasnt for poor finishing from Wigan .
Benny The Noon

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:40 pm

You're boring me even more now Benny.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:44 pm

So dont post in here then if you dont like what is being debated - i had an opinion which differed from yours and gave my side - if you find it boring then dont reply .

Simples .

Or i could just say your boring me as well - is that more appropiate
Benny The Noon

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:51 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:So dont post in here then if you dont like what is being debated - i had an opinion which differed from yours and gave my side - if you find it boring then dont reply .

Simples .

Or i could just say your boring me as well - is that more appropiate

This isn't a debate.

You are boring the a'rse off me and many others with your oft repeated banalities.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:55 pm

the point is, is that we missed more chances than them on top of actually scoring more goals, so you can't say "if it wasn't for Wigan's poor finishing . . " without also recognizing that if it wasn't for our poor finishing we would have scored 6.  If you play a premier league team that finishes all of their chances, they are going to win, nothing you can do about it.
JoeTerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games