LIVERPOOL VS WIGAN ATHLETIC - Wednesday 16th december 2009

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby redhayesy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:11 am

why has it gone quiet on this thread- oh i know cause we won a game an all fecking raffa haters have nothing to say! FFS we won, it was a great occasion tonight with the shankly boys etc coming on to the pitch at half time, that in itself made the players proud to wear the famous red shirt tonight, an if any so called added pressure was felt by them, they lifted themselves up tonight to win a football game an fecking made up they did just that!

tonight was an occasion that always will an quite rightly payed tribute to 'shanks' an what he stood for, as far as this FC  will always stand for for me- sing,support the team an remember what made this FC an carried us through dis-appointment to victory an success an continued succes through good times an challenging times. 'shanks' made one thing clear through all of this- we as a FC,it's fans an everyone connected with LiverpooL fc face it together, cause that is what is FC,city an everyone that loves Liverpool deserve.

so tonight was brilliant for me, the mosaic on the 'kop' was a superb tribute to 'shanks' an the win was somthing we should all be proud of!
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby liverpoolusfan » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:18 am

Good win. Proud to see the team come out with a lot of vigor.

Late goal made it interesting. I have a bad feeling it's not going to be easy watching this team play the rest of this  season as they intend to make all fans chew off all their nails during the game with these close calls.
liverpoolusfan

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:49 am

Ill tell you what i feel disgusted , talking to one of our lads before who was at the game an he said when the old players came on at half time , loads of empty seats in the directors box, Show some fecking repect , It was these lads and there boss that made us great, yOU SHOULD OF BEEN IN YOUR SEATS CLAPPING THEM ON THE PITCH YOU SHOWER OF GOBSHI.TES , INSTEAD OF EATING YOUR NICE SMOKED SALMON AN PRAWN SARNIES, I HATE THIS CLUB SOMETIMES
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:34 am

Anyone else think the Wigan goal was one of the easiest goals scored against Liverpool this year? I can't believe I was actually thinking oh sh*t what if Wigan come back & draw this game  :Oo:

Anyway vital 3 points & seeing Aquilani playing with Gerrard & Torres was uplifting.
killerp

Postby abbiedukes » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:03 am

Excellent result tonight,good over all team effort and great to see Nando score, kuyt was fab .This will give the players,the manager and the millions of fans something to smile about bring on the weekend.Oh any chance we could sign Kranjcar from spurs...YNWA

If you missed the game you can watch the highlights here;
http://www.liverpoolfcgoals.webs.com
abbiedukes

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:58 am

We were NOT lucky. Wigan were lucky they didn't lose by 3 or 4. 

The FLAG WAS ALREADY UP on the shot that hit the bar.

It was a good performance IMO, it wasn't perfect, but it was the right result and it could have been better.  I don't think you can say that they deserved anything from it, it was (almost) all us.

Posters either need to be results people or performance people Its not fair to be someone who cannot accept a good performance that has a bad result AND ALSO a person who cannot accept a poor performance that has a good result. Pick one, because you are just being a negative nit-picker if your allowed to attack manager for both.

We had some very sustained periods of dominance, which was nice to see. We created enough chances, and took a couple.  We did allow Wigan a few periods of sustained posesion, and the odd chance, which you don't want to see, but we have looked worse defensively this year and don't forget that we had Skrtel at CB and Carra at RB, plus we weren't playing with 2 holding mids, and one of our CMs didn't have one of his best games (although I thought Masch played quite well)
JoeTerp

Postby Owzat » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:56 am

Decent performance, passable result. The good news is the only teams we have to play to have played everyone are Wolves (18th) and Pompey (20th) That said, two wins are not likely to push us up into fourth as we'd have 33 points and the teams there are already on 32.

10 Premiership apps for N'Gog this season, four goals. But his total time on the pitch this season in ALL competitions is less than 10 full lots of 90 mins, in fact he's played only 60+ mins in eight of his 15 apps all season - and scored in four of those eight appearances. Good to see Torres bundle home his 61st goal in his 100th appearance for us.

Drogba vs Torres

Torres - 61 goals in first 100 apps for Liverpool (0.610 goals/app)
Drogba - 43 goals in first 100 apps for Chelsea (0.430 goals/app)

Only 18 more goals from Torres, in a weaker/less expensive line-up, BUT Drogba did score a further 22 goals in his third season which Torres will do well to match - 33 in 06/07, 11 in the last 18 of the comparison whereas Torres has scored 12 in his last 18.

Nice to win for a change, only the fourth win in the last 16. While we may have two easy looking games to complete the half-season, if you double the possible 33 points then it is only 66 which is not great. Maybe we will improve second half of the season, but we face villa, citeh, the mancs, and Arsenal away, while Burnley, Brum, and Stoke may well prove tricky away ties - Burnley and Stoke have for a few of the 'big four'.

Oh, and that wasn't an earthquake last night, it was citeh coming back down to earth with a massive thump. Best investment they could make is in a decent manager who knows a good defender when he sees one and doesn't pay £38m combined for a couple of very ordinary ones (at times they are very poor, at times very good)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shawnk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:17 am

Great result and the performance was decent considering our recent performance in 90 mins. Looking at the bright side, result is what matters and I hope it stays this way for the rest of the season to get us to top 4.

And yesterday's goal from Torres was awesome. If you look at it closely, he was on the air when he pushed the ball towards goal.
shawnk

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:16 am

Well, THAT was an interesting game to watch.
First off, the only decent stream I could get was in Chinese, so every time the ball went up front, I thought the commentator was ordering an Egg Flied Lice, not talking about Eggnog....What a bizarre way to watch a Liverpool game :D

Anyway, on the game itself, I thought we again showed our inability to put the ball in the onion sack once we're in front of goal. And that's been the problem all season, just not clinical enough. Wigan were well and truly muck last night, and it's easy to see why a half decent team can put 3, 4 or even 9 past them. We struggled with TWO !
And yet again, once the clock hits 90 mins, we concede....Were it not for a bit of luck for Torres (let's face it, he was lucky the defender didn't take the ball out over the end line) we would be facig another two points dropped at home.
Another thing, that's two games in a row Masch has taken heavy knocks, so I'd expect to see him miss poss. the next one or two....Leaving who in the centre of the park ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Rockthekop » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:06 am

We did what we were expected to do, beat a pretty poor Wigan side. 

The performance was nothing to write home about but 3pts in the bag is all that matters. 

A tough game ahead coming up at the weekend.  Portsmouth are playing better under Grant and I don't expect an easy game for us, especially in our current form.

Same again will do nicely.
Rockthekop

Postby tonyeh » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Not bad. But, by no means great.

We should be beating teams like Wigan, as a matter of course. But, instead, we struggled to get a couple of goals pass them. Liverpool still look very flaky, but Wigan were at times terrible.

They STILL managed to get a goal in the Liverpool net though.
tonyeh

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:33 pm

s@int wrote:My point though Benny, was that Gerrard even in the first half when he wasn't playing as well was still pushing the team forwards. The players were on the front foot and knew if they made the runs Gerrard would try to find them. Once Lucas came on the passing became negative, we didn't move the ball forward as fast or as aggressively and Wigan came back strongly. We may not lose possession as much with Lucas, but he doesn't create the same threat with his passing either, and he doesn't get the team moving forward. They are all stood flatfooted waiting rather than making runs or anticipating a forward ball.

I really thought it was emphasised tonight.

The other point was that Wigan were frightened of trying to press too much when Gerrard was in midfield because they knew he could kill them with one pass, when Lucas came on they were comfortable pressing because they knew Lucas couldn't.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree then mate - numerous times wigan looked threatening in the first half was becuase they were gifted the ball to them from gerrard and lucky for him that masher helped him out on a number of times . Improved massively in second half back to the gerrard we know thou .
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:43 pm

Another point is Insua looked a lot lot lot better last night and maybe the rest has done hiim wonders
Benny The Noon

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:07 pm

anyone got link to the goals?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Lee J wrote:anyone got link to the goals?

Try Here
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games