LIVERPOOL VS WIGAN ATHLETIC - 12 february 2011, ko: 15:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ethanr » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:47 am

Those are fighting words Always :D
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby andy_g » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:50 am

of course its fine to have doubts and to try and look objectively at the situation. its just a draw at home against a side that always somehow seem to be able to upset the bigger teams while flirting with relegation. wigan in recent times have beaten chelsea and arsenal, and have held ourselves and the mancs to draws. its annoying and disappointing but it in no way represents some kind of sudden return to 'reality'. i'm not sure who well you've been watching but most people have noticed a significant improvement in our football, our possession play and our attacking intent since kenny took over. just because wigan had the better of the game for long stretched yesterday doesn't mean that that is the way we will always play. football is like that sometimes.

i don't know how you can say that in the four games before this one we played football that wasn't of a title winning standard. if winning all your games isn't a title winning standard of football then i really don't know what is.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:44 am

We have a long way to go under Dalglish yet and all we are doing is laying some foundations and taking the smallest of steps forward. Wait until Carroll starts playing with Suarez and we will see another step in the right direction and a glimpse into our future with new arrivals and departures in the summer. For the first time in a long time we have every reason to be excited about things and a draw against Wigan should not dampen that enthusiasm.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby brentd4 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:45 am

it was awful timing to slip up, with sunderland playin spurs, either sunderland go above us or spurs extend ther lead, so typical liverpool, play awesome for 4 games beat chelsea then draw with wigan,,,,, always happens
brentd4

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:15 pm

Disappointing result given that we could have had the game dead and buried by half time.  That's football, though.  Sometimes you can't get that second goal to kill the game and get bitten in the a.rse for it.  That was us yesterday.

There are tremendous signs of improvement under Kenny though.  We are playing on the deck for a start, which is such a breath of fresh air.  There were plenty of times yesterday where we won the ball back deep in our own half and, instead of giving it the big boot upfield to get out, we patiently played it on the deck and maneuvred out of trouble.  We're also very organized under Kenny.  The goal aside, which was sloppy, we had Wigan largely contained despite them having significant possession in the second half.  You could see the way the lads denied the passing angle to Rodallega and forced the midfielders to send it out wide, where we had a nice double team set up to close down the flanks.  Unfortunately we lost some of our shape and impetus when Mereiles came off and struggled thereafter.  I think if we had managed to score again soon after the Meireles strike (another beauty!) we would have won comfortably and people would be cooing about how good we looked again.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:36 pm

andy_g wrote:of course its fine to have doubts and to try and look objectively at the situation. its just a draw at home against a side that always somehow seem to be able to upset the bigger teams while flirting with relegation. wigan in recent times have beaten chelsea and arsenal, and have held ourselves and the mancs to draws. its annoying and disappointing but it in no way represents some kind of sudden return to 'reality'. i'm not sure who well you've been watching but most people have noticed a significant improvement in our football, our possession play and our attacking intent since kenny took over. just because wigan had the better of the game for long stretched yesterday doesn't mean that that is the way we will always play. football is like that sometimes.

i don't know how you can say that in the four games before this one we played football that wasn't of a title winning standard. if winning all your games isn't a title winning standard of football then i really don't know what is.

well said
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloMedina28 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Well Red wrote:
PabloMedina28 wrote:Aurielo was brilliant today MOTM for me.

Are you for real? I thought he was utterly dreadful. He looks like a player who we released and then had to begrudgingly bring back to the team simply because we couldn't find anyone better. Add to that Jovanovic and Ngog - they offered us absolutely nothing. Maxi should be a stop-gap for this season only and Poulson needs to go, additionally Spearing may as well follow this lot out the door if he can't get into the team aged 22 when the midfield is thread bare.  :veryangry

Your a idiot if you dont believe Aurielo had a good game.
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby PabloMedina28 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:30 pm

alwayslfc wrote:I don't know why many of you commented Lvp played well. We played lousy football. Wigan played well esp in 1st half when they had most of the possession and played lovely football. To be blunt they deserved a win and made Lvp looked like a relegating team. Without Gerard, Lvp seemed below par. After Meireles was gone, we were in trouble and I knew they would score eventually.

I don't know whether this is KK's intention or not but I still find Lvp too defensive and give every opponents  too much possession and too much space on the left and right flanks. This is not the way to manage a team that is going to challenge for the title.

If we're going to play this kind of football again next season, KK would better leave and don't spoil his legendary status but I thank him for getting us out of relegation battle. He is still a legend to me but maybe he's too old and doesn't have what it takes in today's modern game. Forget about qualifying for CL. I hope it is only that we're a team still recovering from lack of confidence and he will prove me wrong.

On a positive note, Meireles has been outstanding and Suarez showed some world class play. We should see a lot of goals from him in future.

You are a terrible "supporter"
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby PabloMedina28 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:37 pm

alwayslfc wrote:Since KK took over, I am happy with the scorelines but I am disappointed with our style of play. This reminds me of the Houllier's era where we were very defensive and just play to winl. This is very Un-Kenny Dalglish kind of football. Hope this will change soon.

Are you Rot Hodgson or any of his loved ones?

Are just a moron?
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby PabloMedina28 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:48 pm

alwayslfc wrote:All is not well at Liverpool yet as yesterday's game has shown us that reality is setting in. Yes many of our players were tired from international duties but so were Man U players and yet they could still beat City.

We've had so many false dawns under Houllier, Rafa and now like KK said, we must not get carried away with the 4 wins on the trot before the Wigam game.

I hope this risky way of playing football right now of giving too much possession and room to opponents will change next season with a few more star midfield and wing signings and if this kind of football is the best Kenny can do continues on, then I am sad to say he is not the long term solution to get back to the glory days.

Yes I know he has won the title 3 times before more than 2 decades ago but maybe today because of his age, he has past his prime as a football manager. Now, I love KK like a brother and he will always be a legend to me, but I think many fans could be clouded by his legendary status and his past achivements. The four scorelines before Wigan were good but we didn't play attractive football and this kind of football is not good enough to win the title. It's only good enough to consolidate your 6th or 7th place.

I have to say KK has done a great job from getting us out of relegation battle to aiming for CL spot before Wigan game and anytime he's 1000 times better than Hodgson. Though I love to see him continue on next season and revitalise Livepool to be like what we were during his first stint, I think he may not have what it takes to become EPL champions. Time will tell whether I'm right or utterly wrong.

If I were JHenry I will have to start looking for a list of quality managers as a possible replacement. It hurts me to type  this, but we have to agree with decisions that are best for Lvp and not be clouded and guided by past sentiments of KK's first stint as manager and continue on with this kind of risky football (not attacking enough).[B][B]

I'll probably get a lot stick and abuse from you lot but this is my personal opinion. I hope I'm wrong and that Livepool are just going through a difficult transition and still in the process of rebuilding and we've not reached KK's standards and expectations yet.

Serioulsy are you really a Liverpool supporter?
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:03 pm

PabloMedina28 wrote:
alwayslfc wrote:Since KK took over, I am happy with the scorelines but I am disappointed with our style of play. This reminds me of the Houllier's era where we were very defensive and just play to winl. This is very Un-Kenny Dalglish kind of football. Hope this will change soon.

Are you Rot Hodgson or any of his loved ones?

Are just a moron?

PM ...Didn't "Rot" Hodgson bring our brightest striker??? Meireles....And who the Fck died and made you this forum uber fuhrer? Let people speak their mind!

Yes Kenny is playing defensive football ,yes he is playing tactical football ,but it is working so there is nothing wrong with it. Kenny still has a limited squad of players and so far he is utilizing them in an effective manner. So Far our football is unimegenative and riskless but i guess this what we can achieve with those players.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:06 pm

I think the reaction of some to this game is OTT. You'd think we'd been on some sort of shocking run, we've been class the last few gams and looked like the Liverpool of old. Yes it was disappointing not to win and watching the highlights didn't help because we could have had the game to bed at half time. Shade of offside for their goal as well so all in all luck just wasn't on our side yesterday

Walk on Redmen :)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby metalhead » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:09 pm

Greavesie wrote:I think the reaction of some to this game is OTT. You'd think we'd been on some sort of shocking run, we've been class the last few gams and looked like the Liverpool of old. Yes it was disappointing not to win and watching the highlights didn't help because we could have had the game to bed at half time. Shade of offside for their goal as well so all in all luck just wasn't on our side yesterday

its called people going into knee jerk reaction made mate... unbelievable, we had an off day, as soon as we have Gerrard, Carroll and Agger back into the side we will be better!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:26 pm

metalhead wrote:
Greavesie wrote:I think the reaction of some to this game is OTT. You'd think we'd been on some sort of shocking run, we've been class the last few gams and looked like the Liverpool of old. Yes it was disappointing not to win and watching the highlights didn't help because we could have had the game to bed at half time. Shade of offside for their goal as well so all in all luck just wasn't on our side yesterday

its called people going into knee jerk reaction made mate... unbelievable, we had an off day, as soon as we have Gerrard, Carroll and Agger back into the side we will be better!

Id call some of the posts more than knee jerk , Full on body jerk there , we actualy played ok, no complaints from me , unbelievable some of the match comments  :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:14 pm

alwayslfc wrote:KK would better leave and don't spoil his legendary status

How about you leave?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games