Benitez 'nets £40m transfer fund' - Bbc report tuesday 3rd april

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:01 pm

Benitez 'nets £40m transfer fund' 

Benitez is set to join the Premiership's top spenders. Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez will be given £40m to spend in the  transfer market this summer, according to newspaper reports.
The club's new American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks will make the money available so Benitez can mount a challenge for the Premiership title.

Benitez met the club's owners over the weekend to discuss a strategy.

"We talked about ideas for the future and it was good. For me, the future of the club is brilliant," he said.

"They (Gillett and Hicks) said that we will go in the right direction."

However, Benitez, whose side face PSV Eindhoven in the first leg of the quarter-finals on Tuesday, would not confirm how much he will be given to spend on new players in a bid to compete with Premiership front-runners Manchester United and Chelsea.

He added: "We have a big Champions League game against PSV to concentrate on and now is not the time to talk about money."

The Liverpool manager has been linked with a whole host of players, including Sevilla winger Daniel Alves, Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o and Valencia forward David Villa.

Benitez is in his third season in charge at Anfield, while Gillett and Hicks have made serious investment during previous forays into ice hockey and baseball in the United States.

They have also concluded a deal for the Reds' new stadium following a meeting with Liverpool City Council.

Work on the new ground in Stanley Park will begin in May and will be completed by the end of 2010.
++

Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps please.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:26 pm

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez will be given £40m to spend in the  transfer market this summer

However, Benitez, whose side face PSV Eindhoven in the first leg of the quarter-finals on Tuesday, would not confirm how much he will be given to spend on new players in a bid to compete with Premiership front-runners Manchester United and Chelsea.

Bit of a contradiction isn't it?

I've heard reports on how much we'll get varying from £20m all the way to £120m. All Gillett & Hicks have said is that Rafa will get the money he needs, and that's good enough for me.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:35 pm

i feel 40mill isnt enough

we need to buy 3 or 4 top class players and they normally come at 15-30mill each
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby club_Levis » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:40 pm

EddieC wrote:
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez will be given £40m to spend in the  transfer market this summer

Bit of a contradiction isn't it?

I've heard reports on how much we'll get varying from £20m all the way to £120m. All Gillett & Hicks have said is that Rafa will get the money he needs, and that's good enough for me.

Hopefully at last Benitez would get the players he " really" wants not imitates he has been getting due to lack of funds. Villa, Alves and Quaresma are a must in the summer.Anything less would be disatrous.
club_Levis

Postby grayghost » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:17 pm

I think we are getting 40 mil and what ever money we earn from the champions legue.

pluss the money from sales which could make a extra 15-20mil.

I think we could have in the region off 70-80mil come the transfer window.

And then the title will be ours.  :D :D :D :D
grayghost

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:20 pm

There's no way that anyone from the club has leaked anything to do with a transfer fund - one of those cases where one news outlet has put it in quotes and all the rest have taken it from them.

One thing's for sure though, Rafa's going to be splashing the cash come summer. I can't wait.
ivor_the_injun

Postby grayghost » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:23 pm

If rafa ia happy then we have a title chanllge next season garrented come on you reds
grayghost

Postby peterc1992 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:38 pm

Hopeully benitez spends this well,and not on 15 2 million pound players.Make one or two huge 20 million signings such as villa and another winger(Joaquin) and play Gerrard in the centre and i think we can go for the title
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:09 pm

Dont you think 40mp is enough..? Our side is a very good side ...juz abit of clever signings will lift us..a world class forward and a winger plus we have some amazing kids in the youth system...i dun want us to go ala chelsea spending big big money it juz dun seem right...itz juz wat i think but i do think we will get more.... :p
Elchris

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:54 pm

Can you translate that into English mate? I left my English-Mongolian dicionary at home this morning....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:02 pm

Reg wrote:Can you translate that into English mate? I left my English-Mongolian dicionary at home this morning....

:D
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:09 pm

Good god. Welsh Wizzard will have a field day. :down:  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redmikey » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:18 pm

where did the figure come from? is just the press picking a number out of mid air like per fecking usual
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:22 pm

wouldn't it be just great though if he spent nothing this summer and still lifted the title next season.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:47 pm

redmikey wrote:where did the figure come from? is just the press picking a number out of mid air like per fecking usual

exactly my thougths, where did that figure come from?
Last edited by babu on Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion