Benitez 'nets £40m transfer fund' - Bbc report tuesday 3rd april

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu.Murph » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:30 am

welsh wizzard wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:
welsh wizzard wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:
Reg wrote:Before we judge how well Rafa has spent, what is the success rate for other teams? Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle, Villa etc..? They've all spent a sh!tload of cash with very few players turning out to be good buys.

Shevchenko, Ballack, SWP etc.. easily spring to mind and there's 60 million straght away!!

Am Sure the others have players they'd rather not be reminded of..... overall, Rafa's has a better hit rate than Ged did.

Rafa has a better rate than "Ged"?

I'm sorry but this is what really annoys me about supposed supporters of this club. Its enfuriating the way people talk about Gerard Houllier's reign. I'm telling you now, Houllier's best team was a damn site better than this side is now in terms of ability and personel and this side mostly includes players from Houllier's reign.

Houllier signed some bloody good players and built a good side that was very unfortunately to lose one of its best players at a crucial stage of the teams developement. He then lost his bottle and made some awful signings and the rests history. But if you really want to compare...

I put forward Houlliers best five... Henchoz, Hyypia, Babbel, McAllister, Hamann...
£14,250,000.

Benitez best 5. Alonso, Reina, Fowler, Luis Garcia and Crouch...

Houllier was released at the right time. Rafa's signings this summer for me will judge weather he's up for the job or not. This next season is the defining one. If we don't look like winning it next season at least, its time for a change.

What The Feck you on you muppet !!

Title winning Team next season !!

Reina
                Woodgate      Carra        Aggar

Alves              Alonso            Masch             Bale

Gerrard

Villa                Crouch

Yes a 3.5.2 or a 3.4.3

Woodgate  8m
  Alves        15m
  Bale          12m
  Villa           28m       

Only other i would like to see is Quaresmo may be!!

Thats what we need !! 

As for Rafa he is the man and he will lead us back to the glory days. He is a happy chappy cause he is getting the support from the owners and can take us back where we belong.  :bowdown

Muppet?

Comin from Charlotte Church there... :laugh:

All al say to you ya clueless (insert whatever word ya want) is Owen, Joaquin and Metzelder to sign tomorrow... we're all still waiting.

You then go on to call Quaresma Quaresmo, sounds like something off Seasme street.

Do us all a favour and do one. :no

Ha Ha Lok here you lovely boy !!

You do speak some good sense isn't it.

But Rafa is the boyo! We will be back to the best in the land, we are on the verge now you lovely boy!!

With some home made leek soup, and some lovely welsh cakes, and the three missing 4 world class players we are crying out for we will be back. By the way Crouch has been on the Pot Noodles u know.

So Stuart thats a lovely name you know but!! 

This summer is going to be a hot summer and my transfer wispers from U7ncle Albert will be even Hotter you know but!!      :D

Erm...

Yeah... ???
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:47 am

I just hope the new American bosses keep Uncle Albert doing every kind of works in the LFC facilities.

Uncle Albert has been the inspiration of great men like Drummerphil for glorious threads in this forum.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:49 pm

welsh wizzard wrote:This summer is going to be a hot summer and my transfer wispers from Uncle Albert will be even Hotter

let me guess. owen, metzelder and joaquin to arrive for £30m? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:37 pm

Damien Duff - Ok, he has struggled at late with form and injuries but not on the scale that Kewell has had. I would feel far more comfortable getting someone like him who knows what the prem is all about than signing someone who we have to let themselves 'bed in' for a season or so. He can get past his man, great touch, good crosser of the ball and can chip in with a fair few goals as well. I'm sure he would rather come to Liverpool than stay with the deluded barcodes.

I am not too concerned about getting a right winger next season as I feel Pennant will kick on next season as he is slowly beginning to show his quality in fits and starts. I have faith though. Perhaps we could do with a creative forward in the garcia mould but with more steel and pace. No names spring to mind at this moment in time. this would surely allow for a strong 4-2-3-1 formation. Thoughts on that one?

Berbatov - This man has shown he can cut it in the prem and would save us splashing out on a player like Eto'o or Villa who  might not make it.

------------------------reina---------------------------------------

Finnan          Carragher            Agger                   Riise

Alonso               Mascherano

Kewell                Gerrard                       Duff

Berbatov
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

A Newcastle mate of mine is adamant that Owen will be returning to us in the summer. It's the talk of the toon apparently.

Now I know Geordies are delusional at the best of times but this takes the biscuit. :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stu.Murph » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:15 pm

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:Damien Duff - Ok, he has struggled at late with form and injuries but not on the scale that Kewell has had. I would feel far more comfortable getting someone like him who knows what the prem is all about than signing someone who we have to let themselves 'bed in' for a season or so. He can get past his man, great touch, good crosser of the ball and can chip in with a fair few goals as well. I'm sure he would rather come to Liverpool than stay with the deluded barcodes.

I am not too concerned about getting a right winger next season as I feel Pennant will kick on next season as he is slowly beginning to show his quality in fits and starts. I have faith though. Perhaps we could do with a creative forward in the garcia mould but with more steel and pace. No names spring to mind at this moment in time. this would surely allow for a strong 4-2-3-1 formation. Thoughts on that one?

Berbatov - This man has shown he can cut it in the prem and would save us splashing out on a player like Eto'o or Villa who  might not make it.

Berbatov

Kewell can't be relied upon and isn't a right winger. Duff is just as injury prone as Kewell even though a good player. Gerrard is never a "in the whole" player in a million years and Berbatov would be a very expensive waste of money. I'd rather have Crouch in there than him. Berbatov isn't what he's made out to be by some of the "experts" on here and has also less or equal to goals than Kuyt in the premier league.

Bad post.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:27 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:
wrighty (not mark!) wrote:Damien Duff - Ok, he has struggled at late with form and injuries but not on the scale that Kewell has had. I would feel far more comfortable getting someone like him who knows what the prem is all about than signing someone who we have to let themselves 'bed in' for a season or so. He can get past his man, great touch, good crosser of the ball and can chip in with a fair few goals as well. I'm sure he would rather come to Liverpool than stay with the deluded barcodes.

Berbatov

Kewell can't be relied upon and isn't a right winger. Duff is just as injury prone as Kewell even though a good player. Gerrard is never a "in the whole" player in a million years and Berbatov would be a very expensive waste of money. I'd rather have Crouch in there than him. Berbatov isn't what he's made out to be by some of the "experts" on here and has also less or equal to goals than Kuyt in the premier league.

Bad post.

Gerrard isn't a right midfielder either but does a good job there. There's nothing to say that he cannot drop deep and dictate play from there as he drifts from the right to centre at the moment. I love Crouchy, I'm a big fan of his. He could do a good job there too. If you look I haven't put Kewell as a right winger. I've got him more as a forward who can cut inside and cause damage to the opposition while duff can go wide and put some crosses in or cut inside.

Plus, your comments came across a tad too arrogant. If you are going to be arrogant, counter the players I chose for who would play. Granted you mentioned Crouch instead of Berbatov. I heard no complaints regarding the formation though.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:35 pm

Berbatov

Duff..?? Berbatov ??  Riise at LB ??  :no 

It's not going to win us the league
Elchris

Postby Stu.Murph » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:44 pm

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:

Berbatov

Bad post.

Gerrard isn't a right midfielder either but does a good job there. There's nothing to say that he cannot drop deep and dictate play from there as he drifts from the right to centre at the moment. I love Crouchy, I'm a big fan of his. He could do a good job there too. If you look I haven't put Kewell as a right winger. I've got him more as a forward who can cut inside and cause damage to the opposition while duff can go wide and put some crosses in or cut inside.

Plus, your comments came across a tad too arrogant. If you are going to be arrogant, counter the players I chose for who would play. Granted you mentioned Crouch instead of Berbatov. I heard no complaints regarding the formation though.

At least as a right sided midfielder he's asked to do his defensive work and play box to box. Gerrard is a natural right and central midfielder. He also doesn't dictate play in the same way Alonso does and playing in that formation would mean he couldn't drop deep as the centre forward would simply not receive enough of support. Also I'd disagree he'd score more goals from there as Steven is far better at arriving onto a second ball or hold up play than running through or scoring a goal from naturally being the furthest forward.

Nearly all of his goals come from deeper positions where he can ceom from behind the ball and see whats going on infront of him.

Also I hate the Idea of players out of position. As I say Gerrard is a natural in two positions. Kewell isnt. Neither is Duff. They are both left sided wingers.

Liverpool also don't have the players to play that formation neither do I believe its the way forward. An option it should be yes, but "the way" definately not.

If I was going to play that way Steven would be wide right, Kewell and Garcia through the middle with Fowler the lone striker. But I personally don't believe Kewell to be fit or reliable enough to warrent a mention and I don't believe Luis Garcia to be consistently good enough to play that role every week. As an option, definately, as a main formation, never!
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:54 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:
wrighty (not mark!) wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:

Berbatov

Bad post.

At least as a right sided midfielder he's asked to do his defensive work and play box to box. Gerrard is a natural right and central midfielder. He also doesn't dictate play in the same way Alonso does and playing in that formation would mean he couldn't drop deep as the centre forward would simply not receive enough of support. Also I'd disagree he'd score more goals from there as Steven is far better at arriving onto a second ball or hold up play than running through or scoring a goal from naturally being the furthest forward.

Nearly all of his goals come from deeper positions where he can ceom from behind the ball and see whats going on infront of him.

Also I hate the Idea of players out of position. As I say Gerrard is a natural in two positions. Kewell isnt. Neither is Duff. They are both left sided wingers.

Liverpool also don't have the players to play that formation neither do I believe its the way forward. An option it should be yes, but "the way" definately not.

If I was going to play that way Steven would be wide right, Kewell and Garcia through the middle with Fowler the lone striker. But I personally don't believe Kewell to be fit or reliable enough to warrent a mention and I don't believe Luis Garcia to be consistently good enough to play that role every week. As an option, definately, as a main formation, never!

Good post, I would agree with most of that. Apart from Gerrard being a natural right midfielder. He's that good he can play in most positions as you said to get the best out of him is playing from deep. However. A big however is that I would like to have Alonso and Mascherano breaking up and setting up attacks.

Gerrard is fantastic at bombing forward and also causing the 'second balls' that you rightly mentioned as the amount of goals we scored off second balls would be quite high i should imagine.

Kewell?Mmmm, worth a rethink. Duff? Worth a punt. He's more ready made than Gonzalez is which should give the young chilean time to adapt.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:58 pm

Gonzalez never will "adapt". He's rubbish unfortunately and you can't make diamonds out of :censored:.

Duff isn't worth a gamble imo as he's not an improvement on Kewell and won't offer us anything Kewell doesn't. Plus he plays a similar number of games which isn't acceptable.

We need someone better and more reliable.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:00 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:Gonzalez never will "adapt". He's rubbish unfortunately and you can't make diamonds out of :censored:.

Duff isn't worth a gamble imo as he's not an improvement on Kewell and won't offer us anything Kewell doesn't. Plus he plays a similar number of games which isn't acceptable.

We need someone better and more reliable.

Vicente maybe? very good left winger, but injury prone i guess.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:05 pm

Right then, let's do a poll on who would be best for us on the left. Would be interesting.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:13 pm

There seems to be a derth of quailty left sided players at the moment , so we would either have to stick with what we have ie kewell (when fit) gonzales , aurelio (when fit) or riise defo not zenden. Or we'll have to pay big bucks for the likes of Robben ,Ribery or the like. Unless there's some hidden gem we've not heard of , they are the options.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:34 pm

i think we have a pretty good team as is... not many improvements needed... def. not as many as some suggest ! mascherano was a huge addition to the squad ! momo isnt half the player some make him out to be... great at what he does but is a liability when he has the ball ! not first choice in my books but a great player to have in the squad nonetheless !

i dont see rafa changing the formation next season either..
aurelio is a good player...had a bad start... still has alot to prove but i expect him to start more games next season... terrible injury at a bad timing... thought he would start every game till the end of the season if he hadnt been injured! dont see riise leaving either...good squad player maybe not as reliable defensively as ud expect him to be but dont expect him to leave unless rafa splashes out on a high profile leftback !

our midfield is brilliant... left side is still our main priority in the summer... duff, kewell, gonzales...etc wont improve our side imo... we need a fast natural left winger who can go at player...dribble past them and put decent crosses in... robben, mancini, robinho(not a left winger but has impressed playing in the left flank for madrid) ...etc

our forwards are probably the weakest link in the team atm... crouch is a good player and id love to see him in a liverpool shirt for years to come... dont see him as a first team starter but is a good option to have in the squad and wouldnt sell him unless silly money is offered (15mill or so) but again...who would pay 15mill for crouchie ?! kuyt ...simply dont like the guy... hes a striker who cant score and doesnt even tryo to get himself in scoring positions.. rafas tactics or not... he just doesnt cut it for me ! bellamy is a decent player who wont start in any title winning team..simple as! one of kuyt and bellamy i expect will be sold with bellamy the one most likely ! id love to see a big name come in and partner any of our current strikers... a player who can score loads of goals... a high profile striker with a proven record in a major league!
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion