PSV EINDHOVEN VS LIVERPOOL - Tuesday 9/12/08  19:45 ko

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SupitsJonF » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:26 am

I know everyone will want Bermenstein to start this, but I think he needs rest and should be on the bench.  Arsenal is 2 weeks away, and I think we need him at his best to work his magic again.

This game means a lot more to PSV than to us because PSV and Marseille are still fighting for that 3rd spot.  Although we qualified for the last 16 it doesn't mean this game is useless, because we are still 2nd because we are one behind of Atletico Madrid on goal difference. 

Atletico Madrid: 9 GF  4 GA
Liverpool:         8 GF  4 GA

Marseille are a much stronger team than PSV, so with the right lineup I can see us grabbing the first spot.  I don't want to see an extremely strong line up, but due to injuries and interesting champions league registered squad it's a bit tricky to pick.

Reina
Arbeloa   Carra    Agger    Dossena

Pennant   Lucas    Alonso  Riera 

Babel      Keane

Strange team but; Gerrard, Kuyt and mascherano will get some rest, Keane will get some playtime, and Babel Pennant and Lucas will have another chance to prove their worth.  I also want to see Benayoun come in at some point.

I also think there is not a chance in hell Rafa will select this team.

If we can get off to a good start and start the scoring early, I see this being another 1-3 or a 0-2.
SupitsJonF

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:15 am

SupitsJonF wrote:I know everyone will want Bermenstein to start this, but I think he needs rest and should be on the bench.  Arsenal is 2 weeks away, and I think we need him at his best to work his magic again.

This game means a lot more to PSV than to us because PSV and Marseille are still fighting for that 3rd spot.  Although we qualified for the last 16 it doesn't mean this game is useless, because we are still 2nd because we are one behind of Atletico Madrid on goal difference. 

Marseille are a much stronger team than PSV, so with the right lineup I can see us grabbing the first spot.  I don't want to see an extremely strong line up, but due to injuries and interesting champions league registered squad it's a bit tricky to pick.

Reina

Babel      Keane

Strange team but; Gerrard, Kuyt and mascherano will get some rest, Keane will get some playtime, and Babel Pennant and Lucas will have another chance to prove their worth.  I also want to see Benayoun come in at some point.

If we can get off to a good start and start the scoring early, I see this being another 1-3 or a 0-2.

good team but i can't see rafa playing 4-4-2 and defo can't seeing him playing babel up front what ever reason he don't think he is striker.

Personaly this is game rafa needs to take a punt and play him as striker but who knows.  ???

Result isn't that important but i think we win 3-1.  :)
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:29 am

I´d like to see Pennant playing this but....you know...Rafa doesn´t consider him a good professional.
Last edited by Alex G. on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:45 am

SupitsJonF wrote:I know everyone will want Bermenstein to start this, but I think he needs rest and should be on the bench.  Arsenal is 2 weeks away, and I think we need him at his best to work his magic again.

i dislike rotation!  :laugh:
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Bermenstein » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:24 am

:D
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:41 am

Alex G. wrote:I´d like to see Pennant playing this but....you know...Rafa doesn´t consider him a good professional.

Who does?  ???

Doesn't really matter if we don't win, but that said I assume we would not be able to play English clubs in the last sixteen due to restrictions so it would narrow down our likely opponents.

Potential Group Winners*

A ROMA/Chelsea/Bordeaux
B INTER/Panathanaikos/A Famagusta
C Barcelona
D n/a
E MAN UTD/Villareal
F LYON/B Munich
G ARSENAL/Porto
H JUVENTUS/Real Madrid/Zenit SP

*CAPS = current leaders, red = won the group already. Group D is n/a because it is our group

Potential Group Runners-Up*

A Roma/CHELSEA/Bordeaux
B Inter/PANATHANAIKOS/A Famagusta
C Sporting Lisbon (beat S Donetsk 1-0 both legs)
D n/a
E Man Utd/VILLAREAL
F Lyon/B MUNICH
G Arsenal/Porto
H Juventus/REAL MADRID/Zenit SP

*CAPS = current runners-up, red = confirmed runners-up *touch wood*

If we finish runners-up, and I believe we need to outscore Atletico if they win as well, then we could face Barca (confirmed winners), Juventus (four points clear I think with two to play) or Inter, Lyon or possibly Roma or Porto. None are terribly daunting bar Barcelona - and Inter will be no picnic, out for revenge and sour grapes in charge. I'd rather pick from the sides finishing second, should be easier and English clubs are quite likely to top their group so we'd be facing maybe three or four of the tougher sides outside of England. Certainly the likely runners-up are easier pickings than the likely group winners.

I'd play something like :

GK Reina
RB Arbeloa
LB Insua (assuming he's registered)
CB Carragher
CB Agger
RM Benayoun (practice)
LM Babel (practice)
CM Alonso
CM Mascherano
CF Kuyt
CF Keane

Give Alonso a bit more freedom to go forward, defend if needed depending on how the game unfolds. Try Kuyt and Keane as a pair up front, not for the first time, but it is an option at the moment. Play the whingers out wide, let their games make a case for a starting place regularly, and give Insua a chance at LB (if he's registered) see if he can keep up the good work - not that it means a lot but he was in Crooks' team of the week, along with most players who scored like Alonso, Vidic, Deco, Anelka, Owen (guy has no imagination)
Last edited by Owzat on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:21 am

i faniced Marseille to take something off Athletico but Niang is injured and out for 2 months and they're pretty toothless up front without him. So lets go out and batter PSV into submission, settle for nothing less than biggest win of the season, its pivotal to finish to top of this group because we really, really dont wanna draw Barca. (no-one does)
burjennio

Postby aCe' » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:28 am

Reina

Babel      Keane

I like that lineup.... like it very much actually but i'd put in Mascherano for Lucas and have Alonso pushing more forward like he does sometimes... surely he has it in him and imo its all Benitez instructions that are leading to him playing deeper and not having much of an impact in the final third...
Mascherano hasnt played as many games as you'd think he would so no problems with him starting here today... Babel an Keane upfront is worth a shot, especially Babel upfront...could work from what i'v seen of him and his dribbling and shots from the edge of the box wuggest to me that he should be a striker and nothing else.... useless down the flank imo...

Kuyt needs a rest.... Gerrard can be brought on if we'r not winning at half time, no need to pile up the fixtures on him not with all the work he does when playing that role behind 1 forward...

Pennant down the right.... cant see it happening but would be great to see him prove everyone wrong...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:13 am

this is still a very important game. we really need to top the group. finish second and we'll end up playing barcelona, inter, juventus, lyon or bayern in the last 16.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:35 pm

Seems like there are going to be a LOT of changes:
                     Cavalieri
Darby      Kelly          Agger     Dossena
            Lucas         Mascherano
Yossi            Gerrard               Babel
                     Keane

would expect Spearing on for Gerrard as well.  Probably N'Gog on at some point.
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:38 pm

SupitsJonF wrote:                Reina

Babel      Keane

Doesn't seem like Pennant traveled:

There were a few absences from the travelling squad, however. Dirk Kuyt stayed at home to recover from a slight hamstring strain he picked up towards the end of Saturday's 3-1 win over Blackburn Rovers, while Fernando Torres, Martin Skrtel, Fabio Aurelio and Philip Degen are all out with hamstring, knee, calf and foot injuries respectively.

Reserve team starlets Martin Kelly, Stephen Darby and Jay Spearing were also included in the trip to Eindhoven, where the current temperature is a chilly three degrees Celsius.

The Liverpool squad in full: Reina, Cavalieri, Dossena, Agger, Carragher, Arbeloa, Darby, Kelly, Spearing, Gerrard, Alonso, Lucas, Mascherano, Benayoun, Riera, Keane, Babel, Ngog.

Quotes from Rafa:

"It is difficult to say now who will play in Eindhoven, but it is clear that we will be making several changes," he said.

"But we will probably take most of the senior players because of the prospect of injuries.

"The players are involved in more matches these days. Kuyt, Carragher and Arbeloa have all played a lot of games this season.

"But Lucas will be involved. People have criticised him recently but he has been working so hard, he is the kind of player with a great character who will become very important for us."
JoeTerp

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:41 pm

and from the bbc...

Robbie Keane is expected to be handed the task of leading Liverpool's attack in their final Champions League group D match away to PSV Eindhoven on Tuesday.

Off-form Keane was left on the bench for Saturday's 3-1 win at Blackburn, but is in the party of 18 to face PSV.

Fernando Torres (hamstring) and Fabio Aurelio (calf) are out, while Dutchman Dirk Kuyt is rested and did not travel.

PSV have a doubt over Danny Koevermans (hamstring), who has scored all of four of their Champions League goals.

Midfielder Ibrahim Afellay is battling an ankle injury, while defender Carlos Salcido and striker Danko Lazovic have both hit out at coach Huub Stevens recently.

Liverpool's Emiliano Insua, Nabil El Zhar and Sami Hyypia all miss out as they are not registered with Uefa for group matches.

Manager Rafael Benitez has added reserve keeper Martin Kelly, plus local products Stephen Darby and Jay Spearing, to the squad.

Keane scored his first goal since his £20m move from Tottenham in the reverse fixture at Anfield in October.

Liverpool are through from group D to the Champions League knockout stages, alongside Atletico Madrid.

Fourth-placed PSV have already been eliminated from the Champions League but victory over Liverpool could still see them qualify for the Uefa Cup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool from: Reina, Cavalieri, Kelly, Dossena, Agger, Riera, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Benayoun, Keane, Arbeloa, Babel, Lucas, Carragher, Ngog, Spearing, Darby.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:56 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Seems like there are going to be a LOT of changes:
                     Cavalieri
Darby      Kelly          Agger     Dossena
            Lucas         Mascherano
Yossi            Gerrard               Babel
                     Keane

would expect Spearing on for Gerrard as well.  Probably N'Gog on at some point.

why r u playing a GK in defence?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:03 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
SupitsJonF wrote:                Reina

Babel      Keane

Doesn't seem like Pennant traveled:

There were a few absences from the travelling squad, however. Dirk Kuyt stayed at home to recover from a slight hamstring strain he picked up towards the end of Saturday's 3-1 win over Blackburn Rovers, while Fernando Torres, Martin Skrtel, Fabio Aurelio and Philip Degen are all out with hamstring, knee, calf and foot injuries respectively.

Reserve team starlets Martin Kelly, Stephen Darby and Jay Spearing were also included in the trip to Eindhoven, where the current temperature is a chilly three degrees Celsius.

The Liverpool squad in full: Reina, Cavalieri, Dossena, Agger, Carragher, Arbeloa, Darby, Kelly, Spearing, Gerrard, Alonso, Lucas, Mascherano, Benayoun, Riera, Keane, Babel, Ngog.

Quotes from Rafa:

"It is difficult to say now who will play in Eindhoven, but it is clear that we will be making several changes," he said.

"But we will probably take most of the senior players because of the prospect of injuries.

"The players are involved in more matches these days. Kuyt, Carragher and Arbeloa have all played a lot of games this season.

"But Lucas will be involved. People have criticised him recently but he has been working so hard, he is the kind of player with a great character who will become very important for us."

And people wonder why I want him to resign! :veryangry

GET THE :censored: OUT OF MY CLUB NOW YOU :censored: WASTER!
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:19 pm

These are the players that Rafa has registered to play in the Champions League:

Goalkeepers
Pepe Reina
Diego Cavalieri
Martin Hansen
Hakan Duyan

Defenders
Jamie Carragher
Daniel Agger