PSV EINDHOVEN VS LIVERPOOL - Tuesday 9/12/08  19:45 ko

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thewaykokid » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:57 am

I'm from AUstralia WTF is a "Scouser" are they mexicans in disguise or something? ???
If you can't amaze people with your intelligence, try confusing them with your :censored: :)
Thewaykokid

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:59 am

Bad Bob wrote:
john craig wrote:Before I go on to comment on our performance I'll start by saying that PSV are by some distance the worst team we have played this season.  We will have tougher games in the FA Cup this season against lower league opposition.

We can only beat what's in front of us though and it was a good team performance.  The defence played well as a unit.  Dossena had his best game yet in a Liverpool shirt.  Agger, Carra and Arbeloa had decent games too.

In midfield Riera was the best player on the pitch in the first half, but as usual he faded badly second half, with literally his only contribution of the half being his superb goal.  Babel threatened but as usual largely failed to deliver.  I do think he looked better on the right though than he does on the left.  His goal was decent but the goalkeeper flapped it has to be said.  I also thought Lucas played his best game for us that I've seen.  Got his foot in and his distribution was good too.  Mascherano didn't have his best game.

Up front both Ngog and Keane got better as the game went on.  Neither were great first half, but second half Ngog held the ball up better and Keane's movement was good.  Keane did everything but score and his vision to set up Ngog for the goal and shortly after Lucas was top class.

Overall very satisfying and of the lads who came on I think Darby acquitted himself best.  Didn't look out of place.

Agree with everything you've said except for the Dossena bit, John.  He looked back to his usual tricks tonight after an encouraging performance against Blackburn.  Completely out of position on several occasions and offered very little going forward apart from one good cross.

But, I'd rather focus on the positives.  A nice team performance from the "reserves" after a flat opening half hour.  Lucas had a strong game by his recent standards.  Babel finally scored, which largely makes up for his c.ack decision making for most of the rest of the game.  Keane had a mare of first half but helped boss the show in the second.  Riera showed that he has the shot to trouble keepers from distance and that could be an important weapon for us moving forward.  And, of course, it was fantastic to see the three young lads get a run out in Europe and play well.  All in all, a good night at the office and a nice result to boost a few of the lads' confidence.

Dossena defended pretty well for me in the 2nd half.

Keane was bipolar, but thats not all bad as long as the good moments result in goals, but he was getting very frustrated out there in an almost unprofessional way

One of the best if not the best 90 minute performances for Lucas

N'Gog started poorly and slowly improved to below average before eventually scoring and showing what he is good for. Maybe if Torres fitness improves and we buy another striker in January he can go on a half season loan to a championship or league one side.
JoeTerp

Postby Rush Job » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:13 am

Thewaykokid wrote:I'm from AUstralia WTF is a "Scouser" are they mexicans in disguise or something? ???

What have mexicans got to do with anything concerning LFC?
People from Liverpool are scouse, you must be lost mate. :D
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thewaykokid » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:49 am

Rush Job wrote:
Thewaykokid wrote:I'm from AUstralia WTF is a "Scouser" are they mexicans in disguise or something? ???

What have mexicans got to do with anything concerning LFC?
People from Liverpool are scouse, you must be lost mate. :D

woopz....................sorry  :D
If you can't amaze people with your intelligence, try confusing them with your :censored: :)
Thewaykokid

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:37 am

i think JonF should be given another run to create a match thread. maybe it'll improve his confidence and we need Bermenstein's powers for the arsenal game anyway. :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Aussie Style » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:06 am

Can I ask, how did Keano go? Didn't have the chance to watch the game, but saw Keane played the full 90. How'd he go?
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:12 am

Aussie Style wrote:Can I ask, how did Keano go? Didn't have the chance to watch the game, but saw Keane played the full 90. How'd he go?

no u cant ask! why didnt you watch the game!  :angry:

:D

kidding mate. Keane, set up a goal for Ngog with a great pass that showed loads of vision and good decision making. had a chance to shoot when he got clear in the penalty box but opted to pass the ball instead.

he was throwing his hands around alot and moaning because Babel in particular wasnt setting him up and was going for glory all the time. he reminds of abit of how Kuyt played when he was getting slagged for not scoring enough.

i really thought he deserved a goal for his perfomance in the end. he may have been trying too hard and was growing impatient by the minute.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Owzat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:35 am

Dundalk wrote:Not that its important but we got more points (14) then any other team that qualified first in their group

The most points we've qualified with from the L32 groups with, under Rafa and overall.

Liverpool in the CL L32 Group Stages

08/09 P6 W4 D2 L0 PTS 14
07/08 P6 W3 D1 L2 PTS 10 (Semi-Finalist)
06/07 P6 W4 D1 L1 PTS 13 (Runners-Up)
05/06 P6 W3 D3 L0 PTS 12 (Last Sixteen)
04/05 P6 W3 D1 L2 PTS 10 (WINNERS)

02/03 P6 W2 D2 L2 PTS 8 >>> Went into UEFA Cup
01/02 P6 W3 D3 L0 PTS 12 (Quarter-Finalist)

01/02 P6 W1 D4 L1 PTS 7 (Last Sixteen Group Results)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:00 am

john craig wrote:Before I go on to comment on our performance I'll start by saying that PSV are by some distance the worst team we have played this season.  We will have tougher games in the FA Cup this season against lower league opposition.

Good place to start quoting re the match. I agree, PSV were poor. They allowed our players way too much space and time on the ball. That they opened the scoring was a shock, the only way we were going to concede was from a mistake. I's running out of time to post the style I intended, so I'll summarise and do a player by player

Overall we controlled the game, a few too many bits of sloppy play at times including Mascherano giving it away and that led to Dossena getting himself booked. Mascherano also didn't clear and that cost us the goal, Dossena should have stuck to his task of marking the scorer but switched off thinking Mascherano would clear. Keane sat too deep, Babel was too selfish but the goals were all good. Keane only needed to steer N'Gog in for his goal, there was enough space to drive a couple of tanks through but he didn't force N'Gog wide - the control and finish were both good. Riera hit a belter from range, thought their keeper flapped a bit at it but probably wouldn't have saved it anyway. Lucas' late free-kick was perhaps moment of the match just on half-time, put in accurately and well headed in by Babel. 0-1 at half time might have seen a different PSV second half, we went in with momentum, confidence and level. Don't underestimate how much scoring when we did helped.

And well done the kid subs, all did themselves proud. None had a brilliant moment or contribution, but all played to a very high level in the time they were on.

Diego - unconvincing at times, distribution needs work but thankfully didn't have too much to do

Arbeloa - disappointing game, didn't look comfortable defensively with some poor clearances and a near own goal header from a tight angle perhaps summed up his night - got taken off perhaps more summed it up

Dossena - reasonably solid performance, but was he really tested? I give him some blame for the goal conceded, he was (supposed to be) marking the scorer but assumed Mascherano would clear (don't see any reason to stop marking someone who still poses a threat)

Carragher - solid and reliable as usual

Agger - a few less than convincing moments, but did what needed to be done.

Babel - scored with a good header, had the beating of the full-back but rarely was that followed through. Once he scored he employed a shoot on sight policy, beat his man then shot when he could have played others in. Needs to work on his choices, when to shoot, dribble, pass etc. Credit for taking up defensive duties btw

Riera - drifted in and out of the game a bit, scored a screamer and linked up play well.

Lucas - my MOTM, barely put a foot wrong and put in the cross for our equaliser just when we needed it. Can't recall a misplaced pass or him losing possession, he tackled back for the ball and the only thing perhaps Gerrard would have added to that performance was a goal - then we'd be singing Gerrard's name all night and for weeks.

Mascherano - poor clearing from the corner-that-should-never-have-been, gave away possession for Dossena's yellow and had a mixed night. At times I was thinking his passing has improved, at other times I was cringing as he gave the ball away. He was pretty solid defensively as usual and you can never fault him for effort, I thought his game was a little below par overall. Perhaps with Lucas alongside he felt he had to take control more, Lucas played well enough that he should have just given it to him all the time.

Keane - sat too deep, didn't get in the box enough and his shots were disappointing. Played N'Gog in well, but was rather too keen to show his frustration when Babel didn't play him in - petulant a la Ronaldo. Spoiled what was overall a pretty good performance, if you consider it a link up midfielder role he was playing.

N'Gog - grew as the game went on. I did think he'd be taken off, not that there was anything much on the bench in striker terms to bring on. Took his goal well, but had a quiet but effective game up until then. Didn't do much wrong.

Subs - all did their jobs well enough, don't know how much to take into account PSV being pretty ordinary or the fact that they were accepting being out of Europe by the time the kids came on.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:28 am

Enjoyable match, once the dodgy first half hour got out of the way. PSV were a bit off their game though, but that doesn't take from Liverpool's 3 well taken goals.

I thought Babel had a good game (trying to impress Ajax...heh heh), but played some ill-thought out selfish moves. I really would like to see him have a spell at the front though, with a partner. He was ok on the right flank, but he was allowed a lot of room.

Keane wasn't too bad for the 2nd half. He ran into the clear at times (but didn't get the pass) and played several good balls for his team mates. I personally thought he should have had a go at goal instead of laying it on for N'gog the first time however. His second play for the N'Gog goal though was very good and the young fella took his shot well, especially considering the pressure he must have been under too!

The back four were good, but again the full backs were a worry at times, especially Dossena. We rely on Carragher too much, but he's up to the job.

Lucas too didn't have a bad game either. Would have been nice if he'd got that goal though and monster Masch did well too, apart from a very poor attempt at a headed clearance.

The moment of the game was Riera's goal. Bloody great.

All in all, I can't complain........no wait, I can........ah no, i can't.
tonyeh

Postby benjy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:31 am

yeah i agree lucas was man of the match. i dun rate the fella, but he played well last night. tackled, fought for possession, and played nice balls to the wings.

did anyone see who took over the captain's arm band when carragher went off?
i cldn't see
was it masch or perhaps keane?
benjy

Postby Thewaykokid » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:33 am

I think it was Masch
Thewaykokid

Postby stmichael » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:44 pm

Thought we were excellent in the second half and fully deserved the result, especially considering we probably had the worst set of officials in the history of the CL.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:58 pm

Would love to get Real Madrid in the next round. I was only 5 years old the last time we played em and they are the only big club we have yet to play in recent years for me.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yessicajax » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:26 pm

Omg.. i was at work with this match.. and we had it on at the background. when i heard babel scored..i was so happy.
Ex Ajacied... scored against psv.. LOVELY!!!
Thats must been HURT!!! :D
Image Image Image
A.F.C.A ..... As Finishing touch...God created the Dutch!
Yessicajax

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion