LIVERPOOL VS. ARSENAL - Tuesday, April 8th - 2nd leg of the quarterfinals

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:33 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Hyypia - what a bullet header just to prove man marking is no better than zonal laugh: his defensive duties were spot on as well.

pmsl  :laugh:
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:38 pm

highlights with itv commentary:

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=3GGGGUB3
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JamCar05 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:42 pm

Simply a magnificent game and win. Nothing more to say really atm :D
JamCar05

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Hyypia - what a bullet header just to prove man marking is no better than zonal laugh:

:laugh:

marking sucks full stop. from now on just put ten players on the goal line. nobody would ever score from set pieces then. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JohnBull » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:07 pm

Just watched the TV version of last night and I don't think I can remember a game that was so different live than transmitted.
It was a great, great night to be at Anfield but reading some of these posts I can only think that they were written by armchair'ers.

The midfield were never in it for most of the game - Crouch won at least 90% of the balls to him but for some reason we kept trying to play through a great team rather than bye-passing the middle of the park. Kuyt ran his socks off and got himself into some great positions but lost the ball within seconds of receiving it. There were plenty of bad moves last night but at the end of the day it was another for the memories.
The weirdest chant last night was something about Adebyour his dad's an elephant and his mother a whore. Sounded good but I never understood it.

Has anyone mentioned the Arsenal supporters applauding the Scousers after the match ? A good couple of thousand of them stood there clapping us and giving the thumbs up and a good few thousand of us clapped back - nice moment.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:14 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

says it all really.

Carra - man of the match of for me. up and down that line reminded me of Phil Neal. Great play.

Hyypia - what a bullet header just to prove man marking is no better than zonal laugh: his defensive duties were spot on as well.

:laugh:  :laugh:

How other fans must watch the emotions of our games and be green with envy . Thats what football is all about, heart racing, Gut wrenching, pumping adrenalin, and then feeling done in at the end and were only watching. But theyll never get to experiance it ,  :laugh:

Im still taking up bowls next season though me heart cant take no more of this,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jedwards » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:27 pm

:D
Very good result, credit goes to all the players, and I hop the can keep it that way until the end of the season, and give us something to simle and be proud about.  Good Luck .
jedwards

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:28 pm

JohnBull wrote:Just watched the TV version of last night and I don't think I can remember a game that was so different live than transmitted.
It was a great, great night to be at Anfield but reading some of these posts I can only think that they were written by armchair'ers.

The midfield were never in it for most of the game - Crouch won at least 90% of the balls to him but for some reason we kept trying to play through a great team rather than bye-passing the middle of the park. Kuyt ran his socks off and got himself into some great positions but lost the ball within seconds of receiving it. There were plenty of bad moves last night but at the end of the day it was another for the memories.

i agree with you.

in terms of genuine quality, torres' goal apart we were poor. we didn't pass the ball well and the formation was all over the place. however what you can never doubt is the attitude and desire of the team to haul themselves back into the game, especially as arsenal ran rings around us for the first half an hour.

if we had arsenal's technical ability and they had our nous you'd have one hell of a team.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Yari7 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:34 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Was anyone else screaming at Mascherano to play the early ball to Torres when we had them 3 on 2 on the counterattack prior to Adebayor's equalizer?  A nice early ball into space for Torres to run on to and a simple square ball to Gerrard in the box and it's 3-1 and we're home and dry!  That one did my head in...thankfully I love the lad and thought he put in another awesome shift last night! :D

Yeah, I couldn't beleive he delayed the pass for so long.
But Toress didn't need to run offside as he has the pace.
Yari7

Postby Yari7 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:35 pm

stmichael wrote:
JohnBull wrote:Just watched the TV version of last night and I don't think I can remember a game that was so different live than transmitted.

i agree with you.

in terms of genuine quality, torres' goal apart we were poor. we didn't pass the ball well and the formation was all over the place. however what you can never doubt is the attitude and desire of the team to haul themselves back into the game, especially as arsenal ran rings around us for the first half an hour.

if we had arsenal's technical ability and they had our nous you'd have one hell of a team.

We were only all over the place in the first 25 mins.

An intresting fact is that we actually had more possesion then Arsenal in our worst spell of the game. We had 51% to Arsenals 49%.
Yari7

Postby Big Niall » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:46 pm

What a match!

I think we deserved it - more heart.

I think SG on the left was a disaster though and shouldn't be done again.

Rafa did well to keep us attacking at 2-1 (even though they did equalise) and again at 3-2. putting them under pressure is the best way to keep a lead. We could have scored a few more on the break in the last 20 mins but players didn't get their heads up - probably knackered.

The whole team worked their socks off last night and deserve it :buttrock
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:47 pm

What a match!

I think we deserved it - more heart.

I think SG on the left was a disaster though and shouldn't be done again.

Rafa did well to keep us attacking at 2-1 (even though they did equalise) and again at 3-2. putting them under pressure is the best way to keep a lead. We could have scored a few more on the break in the last 20 mins but players didn't get their heads up - probably knackered.

The whole team worked their socks off last night and deserve it :buttrock
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:57 pm

We don't do it the easy way do we :D  Olympiacos, AC Milan, West Ham  (FA Cup), and now Arsenal. All games where we should have been dead and buried and yet somehow we managed to go on and win.

Great, great result last night. After 25 minutes there was only one team in it, Arsenal were playing dream football and we were struggling to catch shadows. Once Sami's goal went in I thought we more than matched them and deserved to win.

Hard to pick out a player that didn't play his part last night, but for me the highlight of the night was Torres goal. I must have said "what a fkn goal" about 20 times. Its just a pity he doesn't score in important matches :D

I am still baffled as to why Rafa played that formation last night, but it certainly made it an "interesting" game. I think a lot of teams would have buckled under the Arsenal football last night, great credit to the team that they not only withstood the pressure but went on to more than match them.
account deleted by request

Postby cornetto1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:59 pm

was lucky enough to be over from Northern Ireland at the game last night, and what a night it was. Set out at 5 yesterday morning on the bus and arrived back home at 8 this morning and straight to work! but was worth every second of it. The atmosphere was just electric. Was unbearable to watch at times, only able to really relax when Babel stuck in the fourth, roll on Chelsea, and they'll be just dying for revenge, lets hope we dump them out for the third time and go to Moscow!!
cornetto1

Postby KotThat2008 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:04 pm

Liverpool Highlights vs Arsenal 4-2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_tQ62WLVCc
KotThat2008

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion