ASTON VILLA VS LIVERPOOL - 31-08-08

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:42 pm

Ciggy wrote:Id love to meet this James fella bitter smalltime kunts.

http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum....osts=63

Wow they are really pathetic
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby Reg » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:50 pm

GOAT_2.0 wrote:
Ciggy wrote:Id love to meet this James fella bitter smalltime kunts.

http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum....osts=63

Wow they are really pathetic

Childish cr@p.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby samurai3000 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:04 am

hope liverpool put in a performance. With mascherano back we should play better. Will be a little different without gerrard. I feel we will scrape 1-0 win. Also by the way delighted with manchester united losing today.. ha ha ha ha he he he he hoh oh ho ho finally the fools lose something.. Shyte on United.. 2-1 2-1 2-1
Last edited by samurai3000 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
samurai3000

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:24 am

This is match is "make or break" for Rafa .... We did win but we played badly for the last 3 match. It's all down to Rafa how to see on this match , if we go in this match as "We will win this match" then we will play postive football (attacking ) but if we go in as "We will NOT lose" then we will play neg. football (defending or "park" a bus in front of the goalpost )
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Espionage » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:51 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:This is match is "make or break" for Rafa .... We did win but we played badly for the last 3 match. It's all down to Rafa how to see on this match , if we go in this match as "We will win this match" then we will play postive football (attacking ) but if we go in as "We will NOT lose" then we will play neg. football (defending or "park" a bus in front of the goalpost )

Make or break for Rafa? PMSL

Its one game of many and to honest its the people who are playing that need to worry, we have good youngsters knocking on the door and 2 people (at least) in all positions. 

It really isnt make or break for anyone...
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:16 am

Some intersting opinions. Someone mentioned the possibility that Masherano will be detailed to pick up Ashley Young. He won't, Masherano is a central midfielder and Ashley Young a midfielder who predominantly plays wide left. Another one that came up is the central defensive pairing, with various posters thinking we should pick Sami for his aerial prowess. I've no particular problem with this idea, but I tell you this now for free, you cannot build a solid and coherant defence with constantly rotated centre backs. It might work on Championship manager, but changing the central defensive pairing from game to game won't work in real life. Now I know my predessor on this thread gets a bit hot under the collar about all threads becoming "R" ones so I'll leave that one there.

My other point would be about the revisit of the 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1 as I know some prefer) which we employed last season. I'd resist the temptation to do that myself, for two reasons. Firstly, we need to win the game. Put simply, when Man Utd and Chelsea go there later in the season and the heat is on, they will win at Villa Park. Obviously a draw isn't "make or break for Rafa" (indeed neither is a defeat) but we could really do with the win and I think we'd be best suited setting out to go for it from the outset.
The second reason is that we've just shelled out 20 million quid on a front player who hasn't settled at all yet and it's time to show a bit of patience. They will get it right him and Torres, (indeed I'm picking them to click properly on Saturday now Gerrards out of the way) and we've just got to stick with it. It's not the time to play El Zhar IMHO, away in the Premiership isn't the place to give the lad his first start (despite the fact he's done well when he's come on) and I'd stick with Deadly Dirk, particularly now he's "on a run" so to speak.
Perhaps the most interesting situation, apart frrom the obvious midfielder comparison and whether or not Keane and Torres can click, will be the performance of Dossena. He may be asked if he plays to be solid defensively in this game, as I think they'll put us under plenty of pressure. I have severe misgivings about him but hopefully he can take a huge step towards ramming my words down my throat by being ultra solid against Villa. In front of him Babel must surely play infront of the hapless Benayoun, with perhaps the new bloke coming for a cameo in the last 20 mins.

Although we could really do with winning the game, I'll not be investing any sheckles on Betfair this time around. We may win it, but then again we may not as well. Usually under those circumstances it's a 1-1 draw and if you put a gun to my b0ll0cks, that's what I'd predict (whilst all the while thinking it was a strange place to point a gun no doubt).
Last edited by bigmick on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:33 am

woof woof ! wrote:
maguskwt wrote:this is what i will field for this game...

Cavalieri (cause he's No.1)

Degen    Arbeloa      Aurelio      Insua

Darby       Kelly

Flynn                                  Plessis

Eccleston     Ngog

why? cuse villa's a feckin mid table team and we will win nonetheless....

To all members

In future if you're wondering why posts are deleted without comment use the above post as a template

:laugh:  :laugh:
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:30 am

woof woof ! wrote:

Darby       Kelly

Eccleston     Ngog

To all members

In future if you're wondering why posts are deleted without comment use the above post as a template

:D ...

ok guys I think apologies are in hand... I was a bit drunk last night and I posted 2 moronic posts was just abit sick and tired of the criticisms that our team is facing... I didn't even remember I posted this one... ther other one was in the dirk kuyt forum...  :D

now seriously I'd go for this

Reina

Arbeloa   Carragher    Agger     Dossena/aurelio

Masch      Alonso

Kuyt                 Keane           Babel
              Torres

I think someone posted something similar already... I just think that part of the reason Keane's not playing well at the moment is that he doesn't know what role to play yet so far... when gerrard plays, gerrard likes to go up and keane also likes to drop down, as a result they're overlapping with each other too much and often their roles become too similar... now that gerrard's not playing keane should be able to play in the hole behind torres...

oh btw why didn't agger play in the last two games for us? did he get injured or did rafa drop him for playing badly against sunderland?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:36 am

maguskwt wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:

Darby       Kelly

Eccleston     Ngog

To all members

:D ...

ok guys I think apologies are in hand... I was a bit drunk last night and I posted 2 moronic posts was just abit sick and tired of the criticisms that our team is facing... I didn't even remember I posted this one... ther other one was in the dirk kuyt forum...  :D

now seriously I'd go for this

Reina

Arbeloa   Carragher    Agger     Dossena/aurelio

Masch      Alonso

Kuyt                 Keane           Babel
              Torres

I think someone posted something similar already... I just think that part of the reason Keane's not playing well at the moment is that he doesn't know what role to play yet so far... when gerrard plays, gerrard likes to go up and keane also likes to drop down, as a result they're overlapping with each other too much and often their roles become too similar... now that gerrard's not playing keane should be able to play in the hole behind torres...

oh btw why didn't agger play in the last two games for us? did he get injured or did rafa drop him for playing badly against sunderland?

i dont know why but i most certainly am not buying into that whole Gerrard, Keane and Torres cant play together in a 4-4-2 with gerrard in th middle !
If that was the case with every team having similar players with a similar formation ( and lets be clear about this most teams do) then we wouldnt have ever seen that 4-4-2 !

I havent really seen Keane getting in Gerrards way in the past 3 or 4 games. He got in Torres' way once but that was about it.. Besides that he was trying to get to different spaces like all forwards do but the difference is that he was pretty sht when he got the ball OR just wasnt in the right place to be recieving a ball.

I think we enjoyed a good spell end of last season with the tactics rafa chose towards the end of last season. With every single player in the side given seemingly VERY specific instructions except Gerrard who was allowed to roam around pretty deep behind Torres. We had a very specific, well defined shape about us but were far less predictable than we are now !

The main problem we seem to be facing now isnt the forwards scoring goals like it once was few years back.. We simply dont seem to be able to dictate play or even take the ball from our half of the pitch to dangerous opposition territory without hoofing it up hoping for a rebound or a flick on.

Our positioning on the pitch is awful to be honest (even more so imo is our movements off the ball but little can be said about that in brief) and i hope rafa shows some videos and gives some more instructions as to where certain players should be on the pitch (wide men in particular) when we have the ball because if we continue to play the way we are atm we'll struggle to break even the weaker sides and back to all the draws and lost points and another year with no title challenge !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:41 am

mark lawrenson reckons we'll lose 2-1... hmmm

lets get 'em! any team who spends 10 million on james miler doesn't deserve any points!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:41 am

Villa's a tough place to go, and I can see Rafa being cautious here.
I wouldn't be surprised to see this formation:

Reina

Arbeloa       Carra         Skrtl          Aurelio

Mascherano      Alonso

Kuyt         Bennayoun       Babel

Torres   

I wouldn't have a problem with that formation. If we play 4-4-2, I think without Gerrard, Alonso and Masch will sit too deep and the front two will be starved of service.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:06 pm

Balague on the match:

LIVERPOOL are still trying to gel together and without Steven Gerrard they could struggle at Aston Villa tomorrow.

It is a work in progress at Anfield and for the time being Rafael Benitez can rely on just two players – Gerrard and Fernando Torres.With Gerrard injured, I rate Villa slight favourites and the Gareth Barry transfer saga may fire them up even more tomorrow.

However, long-term I don't foresee problems for the red half of Merseyside and I am puzzled by the negative analysis after two league wins and progress to the group stages of the Champions League.

Torres came back late after Spain's success at Euro 2008 and we are still waiting for the partnership with Robbie Keane to work because at the moment they are making the same runs.

Keane just needs to work harder in training and he will improve and Rafa will give the duo until at least Christmas to make the system work.

The plan at the start of the campaign was to have two full-backs playing as wing-backs, but that has not worked out with Andrea Dossena failing to deliver what was required of him, so that is why Albert Riera will be signed from Espanyol rather than Barry to give the team more width.

On his day, Riera is the best left-winger in Europe – he has so many qualities – although he struggles for consistency and I also wonder how he will react to Rafa's rotation system.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting to hear his views on Riera
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:14 pm

Effes wrote:On his day, Riera is the best left-winger in Europe

I don't recall seeing Riera play, so I've relied on other peoples views - which have largely been negative. It's good to hear something positive at last. Hopefully Rafa can get the best out of him.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:03 pm

NiftyNeil wrote:
Effes wrote:On his day, Riera is the best left-winger in Europe

I don't recall seeing Riera play, so I've relied on other peoples views - which have largely been negative. It's good to hear something positive at last. Hopefully Rafa can get the best out of him.

if you check out youtube there are a few vids of him on there, its not the best way to form an opinion of a player because you need to see them play a full 90 mins but from what ive seen he looks promising.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:13 pm

LiverpoolMadman wrote:This is match is "make or break" for Rafa .... We did win but we played badly for the last 3 match. It's all down to Rafa how to see on this match , if we go in this match as "We will win this match" then we will play postive football (attacking ) but if we go in as "We will NOT lose" then we will play neg. football (defending or "park" a bus in front of the goalpost )

In your own little world it is yes, are you going to sack rafa?
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion