ASTON VILLA VS LIVERPOOL - 31-08-08

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby burjennio » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:25 am

Looking forward to Sunday, after another win and clean sheet  :) but without our captain for the next 2 weeks and a series of indifferent performances it almost feels inevitable that we're up against the club we've had the Summers longest running transfer saga with. There will be intensity and emotion in both camps regarding the Gareth Barry affair, who was responsible for the deal not going through and how it effects certain players on the day may well be instrumental in the result.

For me I think we need to take a side willing to compete physically to Villa Park as all know Martian O'Neill sides arn't afraid to use GBH as an actual tactic, and will rough up anything that doesn't bite back. I could see us employing Carra at right back for the 1st time this season and bringing Sammi Hypia in to centre half to deal with the aerial presence of John Carew.

This is generally a terrible bore of a game and last years 2-1 last gasp Gerrard free kick winner was the exception rather than the rule. Fortunately Villa seem to be struggling at the back since losing Mellberg to Juve so hopefully Torres and Keane can step up to the plate and bang in a couple and the results will continue up to the international break

my starting line up:

Reina

Arbeloa Hypia Skrtel Carragher

Masherano Alonso

Kuyt        Keane            Babel

Torres

result: Villa are very beatable and though we got dragged through extra time they played a day later so Im gonna poach a 1-0, Keano off the mark
burjennio

Postby Fo Dne » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:45 am

For this game I'd change it round a little bit to try and freshen it up and get some sort of performance.

Torres         Kuyt
Aurelio  Mashcerano  Alonso   Pennant
Dossena  Hyypia     Carragher  Finnan
                   Reina

Try something different. We need a left sided player desperately and Keane hasn't settled yet.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:07 am

I think I would start with El Zhar, he put on some decent performances coming off as a sub.

I agree with stu, Keane needs to relax and settle down, so I think I won't play him against Villa

I would go for

Reina
Finnan     Skrtel            Carragher      Dossenna

El Zhar        Alonso           Masch         Rieira*

Torres          Kuyt

*If we do sign Rieira tommorow, he should be able to start on sunday
Last edited by metalhead on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:30 am

It should be an interesting midfield battle...Alonso v. Barry, both with something extra to prove!  (Is that how Sky would hype it? :D )
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Rush Job » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:56 am

metalhead wrote:I think I would start with El Zhar, he put on some decent performances coming off as a sub.

I agree with stu, Keane needs to relax and settle down, so I think I won't play him against Villa

I would go for

Reina
Dossena     Skrtel            Carragher      Finnan

Riera*        Alonso           Masch          El Zhar

Torres          Kuyt

*If we do sign Rieira tommorow, he should be able to start on sunday

Your wide players are on the wrong sides, surely a mistake yes?
Drop Keane for Kuyt eh, brave man. :D
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:03 am

This one the tension will def. be there, and I have a feeling it ca be frustrating, but I say 1-0 to us and Rafa to fight MON.  Almost how he faught the SL coach
:D
SupitsJonF

Postby Rush Job » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:13 am

burjennio wrote:Looking forward to Sunday, after another win and clean sheet  :) but without our captain for the next 2 weeks and a series of indifferent performances it almost feels inevitable that we're up against the club we've had the Summers longest running transfer saga with. There will be intensity and emotion in both camps regarding the Gareth Barry affair, who was responsible for the deal not going through and how it effects certain players on the day may well be instrumental in the result.

For me I think we need to take a side willing to compete physically to Villa Park as all know Martian O'Neill sides arn't afraid to use GBH as an actual tactic, and will rough up anything that doesn't bite back. I could see us employing Carra at right back for the 1st time this season and bringing Sammi Hypia in to centre half to deal with the aerial presence of John Carew.

This is generally a terrible bore of a game and last years 2-1 last gasp Gerrard free kick winner was the exception rather than the rule. Fortunately Villa seem to be struggling at the back since losing Mellberg to Juve so hopefully Torres and Keane can step up to the plate and bang in a couple and the results will continue up to the international break

my starting line up:

Reina

Arbeloa Hypia Skrtel Carragher

Masherano Alonso

Kuyt        Keane            Babel

Torres

result: Villa are very beatable and though we got dragged through extra time they played a day later so Im gonna poach a 1-0, Keano off the mark

Thats the team and system i`d go for too mate, we dont (yet) have the players to play a straight 442 and torres plays better on his own with someone in behind, something we`re yet to see this season, IMO we must revert back to that system with Keane in BEHIND, leave Torres to find the space between the CB`s he does so well, lets get him thinking about goals not leaving enough space in the box for Keane who IMO would be much better off arriving late once Torres has made his move instead of being within 5 yards of him when we havent even got the ball.
I thought we bought Keane to play in behind, since Torres`s game is all about having the freedom to roam across the CB`s and back four looking and finding space, not having to leave and create space for another.
WE MUST START PLAYING TO OUR STRENGHTS.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:57 am

Villa have pace as well a big threat in the air from Carew. Agbonlahor (sp) and Young are both quick and will need some watching.

The way we are playing I think its vital that we don't conceed, while up front I would give Keane a rest and try to get at least one of our strikers (Torres) playing his natural game. I don't particularly like the lone striker role, but with Keane misfiring so far, maybe its time to return to basics.

I think El Zhar deserves a start, particularly as we haven't scored a goal this season unless he has been on the pitch. On the left its a case of the lesser of two evils , Benayoun and Babel..... I have gone for Babel for no other reason than away from home he might just get the room to race clear and knock one in.

In midfield I would have prefered to give Alonso a rest but with Gerrard out, I think Masch and Lucas need a little height in midfield.

Reina

Arbeloa    Carra     Skrtel     Aurelio

Alonso     Masch

Lucas
El Zhar                               Babel

Torres

I think it will be a case of grinding out a result rather than flowing football but as long as we win .......who cares!
account deleted by request

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:58 am

Luck will run out if we don’t improve – Dirk Kuyt

Aug 29 2008 by Nick Smith, Liverpool Daily Post
Dirk Kuyt

Dirk Kuyt _320

DIRK KUYT has warned that Liverpool’s luck will run out if they continue to under-perform – resulting in an early Champions League exit.

Yesterday’s draw for the group stages paired Fernando Torres with his former club, Atletico Madrid, who finished fourth in La Liga last season.

Dutch champions PSV Eindhoven are also in Group D as well as Marseille, who shocked Liverpool 1-0 in the group stages at Anfield last season.

In fact, it was only a victory in France in the final group game that saw Liverpool through to the knockout stages.

And Kuyt is fearing a similar struggle this time after it took his late extra-time goal to break the deadlock against Standard Liege in the third qualifying round this week, following another underwhelming Liverpool display.

“One day your luck will run out and then we will have to perform really well to win,” said Kuyt.

“Of course if we play like that in the group stages we will be in danger of not progressing.

“We all know what happened last year in the group stages and we just want to improve as quickly as possible.

“We know it was not the quality we want to show. Off the pitch we are speaking with each other about this because we want to improve.

“We are going to improve, but it has to be quickly because one time our luck will run out.”

The game with Atletico will also see a reunion for Luis Garcia with his former club, as he moved to Madrid shortly after Torres made the switch in the other direction in the summer of 2007.

Ex-Liverpool forward Florent Sinama-Pongolle is also in their squad as well as established internationals Maniche, Diego Forlan, captain Maxi Rodriguez, Tomas Ujfalusi and Simao.

Atletico haven’t played in the Champions League since they reached the quarter-finals in 1997 but showed their pedigree with a 4-0 win over Schalke 04 on Wednesday

to secure their place in the group stages with a 4-1 aggregate victory.

The group as whole should hold little fear, however. Liverpool brushed aside PSV in both the groups and the last 16 on their way to the 2007 final and Marseille were easily beaten 4-0 on their own turf once Liverpool had regained their foothold in the group.

But with Standard occasionally threatening to pull off another Anfield surprise on Wednesday, Kuyt is only too aware that Liverpool need to up their game once again.

However, he feels the character and belief they showed to ensure their progress can act as a platform for improvement – which is much-needed with a trip to Aston Villa in the Premier League looming on Sunday

“It was a very difficult match for us, but we showed belief in ourselves and kept working hard,” said Kuyt. “We got our goal and we’re in the Champions League.

“We all want to play really well as a team. We haven’t given our best performance so far, but we are working very hard in training every day to progress.

“We know we have to progress. Maybe we have had a lot of luck so far, but we know we are going to improve, but to do that we have to change things and quickly.

“We know that we have to get much better and we will. We know we have the quality. I think the good thing is that even when we are not playing well, we fight for each other.

“We just want to improve as quickly as possible, starting with Aston Villa on Sunday.”

Meanwhile, captain Steven Gerrard will undergo surgery on his groin injury today.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:33 am

i recall some poster, if im not wrong either BigMick or BadBob saying how Dossena seems to struggle to race back to catch his opponent after they get pass him and if he does he looks like he has a hard time doing so. if thats the case then i wouldnt play him as agbonlahor and young would probably kill him.

as much as i dislike kuyt's inability to find the net more regularly, i would play him in place of keane as the latter hasnt seemed to settle down and needs to cool it. pennant should get a look in too along with finnan on the right side.

perhaps skertel and hyypia in central def as both are strong and needs to watch strong players like carew. mash and alonso the obvious pairing in the centre. im unsure about lucas. sometimes he shows skills sometimes he looks lost.

im sure we can win this even if we dont have gerrard. its time some players came out of the closer instead of relying on stevie all the time. and i have a feeling its gonna be alonso. :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby johnslp » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:23 am

Haha, s@int love that GIF in your signiture.
Will be an interesting game no doubt, 2-0 to Liverpool
johnslp

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:42 am

Well Lawrenson reckons we will lose

Aston Villa v Liverpool
(Kick-off 1600 BST)
Graphic

Liverpool have not played and they have won three games, it's amazing. It's a good sign, but it can't go on forever and somebody is going to turn them over. Steven Gerrard is also out.

Villa have started pretty well, despite that defeat to Stoke last week, where they should have won. Without Gerrard in the Liverpool team it changes the complexion of things.

Match preview

Verdict: 2-1

We really do need to up our performances soon
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:44 am

I've got a sneaky feeling without gerrard , the team will be more than determined to prove everyone wrong , play a good game  and show them that they can play without stevie . Alonso needs to step up and i think he will
Last edited by Toffeehater on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:45 am

--------------Pepe----------------

Arbeloa-----Carra---Skittles----Aurelio/Dossena

-------Masher-------Xabi------------

Kuyt--------Keane--------Babel--

---------torres--------------
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 am

GOAT_2.0 wrote:Well Lawrenson reckons we will lose

Aston Villa v Liverpool
(Kick-off 1600 BST)
Graphic

Liverpool have not played and they have won three games, it's amazing. It's a good sign, but it can't go on forever and somebody is going to turn them over. Steven Gerrard is also out.

Villa have started pretty well, despite that defeat to Stoke last week, where they should have won. Without Gerrard in the Liverpool team it changes the complexion of things.

Match preview

Verdict: 2-1

We really do need to up our performances soon

Lawrenson talks b@lls and always will!

I do think though that Martin O'Neill will have Villa well pumped up for this one and it will be a tough game!
He rested 6or7 players in their UEFA cup game last night because they were already through practically,and im sure he had one eye on Sunday as well!
This is a game he will want to win bigtime,theres no doubt he has a grudge against us.

I reckon they will come out all guns blazing and be well up for it but if we can keep them under control for the first 20 mins we can take control of the game!
With or without Gerrard I really dont think we will be as poor as our last 4 games.Our passing has been absolutely terrible and our forwards have been fed scraps.Sooner or later its gonna click into place.Very important that Mascherano is back IMO,I think he has become so important to the team now that he is missed as much as anyone if not available.If he would have been available against Liege on Wednesday night I think it would have been a different game altogether.

I think we will win,and by playing better as well.Its gonna be a hairy reception from the home fans hopefully this will inspire our boys to show them we are the better side!
Looking forward to this game,can't wait!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion