ASTON VILLA VS LIVERPOOL - All build up here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 76-1174245250 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:20 am

Sabre wrote:Just realised that your nickname reversed is "Get a clue, lad" and can't stop laughing :D

Credit must go to Mikz for the suggestion.

An I have to say Sabre, am impressed with you spotting that. :laugh:
76-1174245250

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:23 am

An I have to say Sabre, am impressed with you spotting that.

:D I get more of what you lot say than I admit, sometimes it's better to seem you don't get things :laugh:
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1174245250 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:35 am

Forever_Red wrote:Agger's young and in time he'll only get better, it's pointless knockin the lad....look at what people used to say about carra and look at him now. I have to say that Kuyt and Bellamy are hard workers but if i had to choose it would easily be kuyt over bellamy, he just more of a complete player imo, with a good poacher he would it would be great (thats where david villa comes in). But to be honest i expected a lot more out of out strikeforce this season. 

When i look at the squad i cant see many places where we're very weak (except the wings) scoring goals is clearly the problem so theres no need to go diggin into the budget for defenders. No way id want woodgate, although the class player he is he'd probobly slip down the stairs and break his leg the second we sing him so i wouldnt bother. Like john said free or loan and id deffo snap him up and i also have to agree that sissoko is worth his place in the team mate.

I cant say much regarding alves cos i havent seen the lad play

Ladeulcateg, got anything supportive to say mate? :D

Only idiots who didn't understand the game slated Carragher and said the stupid drivel that was coming out of peoples mouths about him. I got bored of talking to idiots about Carragher and I'm very bored of the idiots now saying he's the best in the world. Basically he was :censored: now he's world class... :laugh: Two completely wrong statements. End of.

Quite funny how my opinion of Carragher is exactly the same now as it was when he scored on his debeut against Villa while everyone else has changed from him being :censored: to world class...

As for the Agger arguement... don't give me the he's young and still learning :censored:. Class players show there class at there young age. I'm sick of hearing it how someone will become something they aren't. It never happens. If Baros learns to look up he'll be class... he never has. If Steven Gerrard learns to dicate a game like Keane and Vieira he'll be immense, he never has, if Djimi Traore just learns to position himself better he'll be class.... he never did. If Sissoko just learns to pass he'll be world class... he's the new Vieira you know...

You say when you look at the squad you don't see weak area's. Well, that is what makes you a typical newkit poster then mate and typical of the "fans" who can't see the faults and lack of quality we have and can't understand why we've been so :censored: this season.

I see alot of good players but a serious lack of class players. Beyond Gerrard and Alonso we don't have a real top class player. I'm even starting to question Alonso after this season as its looking to me he's having alot of his natural game coached out of him in order to make him play alot deeper than he would like and him not having the balls to go and do what the game needs instead of what shape the manager wants the team to have.
76-1174245250

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:52 am

Ladeulcateg wrote:Class players show there class at there young age. I'm sick of hearing it how someone will become something they aren't. It never happens. If Baros learns to look up he'll be class... he never has. If Steven Gerrard learns to dicate a game like Keane and Vieira he'll be immense, he never has, if Djimi Traore just learns to position himself better he'll be class.... he never did. If Sissoko just learns to pass he'll be world class... he's the new Vieira you know...

Some of what you say there is valid, but the point you're making is wrong.

World class players don't normally start out that great. In fact, it's the legendary players that started out as class and started to fade out when their career's and talent were meant to peak - Maradona, Best, Romario, Ronaldo etc etc. Depends on the possition and who's playing around them, really.

Zidane started out good, with potential, as did Henry and Ronaldinho. But they gradually became better and better as years went on. Look at Zidane in that last world cup for evidence of this. Roy Keane and Viera weren't even regarded as world class players until their mid-twenties.

It's simple: if a player wants to learn and improve, he will. He just needs to be in the right environment to grow.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:55 am

I've seen the first whole 15 minutes of the game and I want to make a couple of comments.

The first one about the line up. The absence of Alonso I can understand it in a context of rotation or rest, but as for the rest of the line up, I think it's spot on.

I don't know if Villa plays like that at home always, but I guess that they do and the line up and tactics at this 15 minutes are suited for that. Villa has their line of defence very advanced, recklessly if I may add. 15 minutes and already a header that Kuy should have finished better and a very dangerous long ball in which Bellamy was about to score but their goalie kicked away with some luck.

Gerrard on the right makes more sense than Pennant against this kind of defence, Pennant is a classic winger, makes more danger near the bottom line than far from it.

At the beginning of the game we started to use the obvious resource of the long ball and we made their advanced line retreat quite well. It's ok to use that resource but in this 15 minutes we already started to abuse of it, even if you have instructions from Rafa to do that, you have to think a lil bit on the pitch, and  a couple of balls of Fabio Aurelio were pointless. More comments tomorrow once I've finished the game, but I think that this game could have been won if we played intelligently, by just watching 15 minutes of it. :(
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1174245250 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:24 am

Sabre wrote:
An I have to say Sabre, am impressed with you spotting that.

:D I get more of what you lot say than I admit, sometimes it's better to seem you don't get things :laugh:

Haha, quality. I agree. :cool:
76-1174245250

Postby 76-1174245250 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:38 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Ladeulcateg wrote:Class players show there class at there young age. I'm sick of hearing it how someone will become something they aren't. It never happens. If Baros learns to look up he'll be class... he never has. If Steven Gerrard learns to dicate a game like Keane and Vieira he'll be immense, he never has, if Djimi Traore just learns to position himself better he'll be class.... he never did. If Sissoko just learns to pass he'll be world class... he's the new Vieira you know...

Some of what you say there is valid, but the point you're making is wrong.

World class players don't normally start out that great. In fact, it's the legendary players that started out as class and started to fade out when their career's and talent were meant to peak - Maradona, Best, Romario, Ronaldo etc etc. Depends on the possition and who's playing around them, really.

Zidane started out good, with potential, as did Henry and Ronaldinho. But they gradually became better and better as years went on. Look at Zidane in that last world cup for evidence of this. Roy Keane and Viera weren't even regarded as world class players until their mid-twenties.

It's simple: if a player wants to learn and improve, he will. He just needs to be in the right environment to grow.

Right. Am sorry but again you're prattling.

Players have attributes. They don't gain them. Or all of a sudden become good at something they weren't.

I remember having this debate a while ago. Someone saying to me Gerrard couldn't strike a ball a when he first came through because he scored something like 3 in his first 40 or something. I remember watching him for the ressies scoring 30 yard piledrivers and smashing shots like he did against United a few years back nearly every week, passing diagnol balls an diving into tackles.

Players have the attributes, the only thing is they learn how to use them properly, and consistently over the 90 minutes. They generally stop improving the quality of there attributes around 18-21 (very rare they still improve after 21 if at all) and usually they are very very good to start off with. Mental attributes can increase with age as happened with Carragher and Keane, but both were already very good in this department. With Carragher and Keane it pushed them upto the next level. For Carragher a quality player and Keane a world class one.

I remember seeing Zidane for Bordeaux when he was about 22. You could see it a mile off, he wasn't consistent throughout the 90 minutes but you could still see his class.

You mention Vieira? Come off it lad... he was :censored: immense when he broke through for Arsenal. His passing, movement, tackling, aggression, it was all there from day one. Ask the Arsenal fans, from the moment they saw him they knew they had a player. Just as we did with Robbie, Michael, Steven in the people who have a clue's case Jamie.
76-1174245250

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:45 am

Ladeulcateg wrote:
Sabre wrote:Just realised that your nickname reversed is "Get a clue, lad" and can't stop laughing :D

spoted sit vstraight away and also realised that you are banned, so now you are banned again mate.

a ban is a ban as far as i am concerned, if i am wrong then it can be reversed later
112-1077774096

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:06 am

Again today, I saw two problems.

1- Failure to close people down. We give them far too much space to cross. Backing away constantly. We might get away with it against Villa, but not against superior opposition.

2- "Floating" crosses. They are total shyt. Crosses have to be whipped into the box and diverted by sometimes the merest touch into the goal. We'll get nowhere with floating crosses into packed penalty areas.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lucky » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:25 am

Now only the second day after the game, I already can hardly remember anything about it, except how boring and disappointing it was! I didn't know what our players were doing on the pitch for most of the time. Guess they themselves probably didn't know, either.
Probably now they focus much more on the Champion League than on PL. Maybe the 3rd or 4th place for PL doesn't really make a big difference. And 1 point shouldn't be that bad for an away game (even if it is against Villa?). All sound like good explanation for their performance yesterday. But not what we should expect from the LFC we love so much!
Already read so many critical comments here, don't want to make any more by myself.
All I hoped is that yesterday's match could be just one single poor performance of them for whatever reasons and be the only poor one. Looking forward to a mighty LFC on Mar. 31 against Arsenal and in the subsequent CL field!
"We've got a great team spirit - It doesn't matter how many goals we go down, we'll keep fighting till the end." - Steven Gerrard
Lucky

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:58 am

Ladeulcateg wrote:

This must be Stu, he can't even spell getacluelad properly.

Dyslexic numbuts
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:09 am

Jon Woodgate is available this summer and will go for around £6m. I firmly believe he's the one.

:laugh:  Your the idiot who was saying how great Pennant was all last summer. :laugh:  Kin hell do me a favour.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby puroresu » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:10 am

I like Woodgate.  His a quality defender and Real Madrid could really do with him now!!!  His had injury problems but his played a lot more games this year.  I think Woodgate at the right price would be well worth it.
puroresu

Postby 66-1120597113 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:11 am

No point dressing yesterdays performance up in any way!

It was as poor as we've played all season.Villa were there for the taking as well,they were out for a stalemate draw from the whistle!With Bolton loosing it was a great chance to make a bigger gap but the lads did'nt seem bothered,it looks as if they are all resigned to fourth place.........this annoys me!What happened to giving 100% to the last game?

Then after our game the Bitters get an injury time win against Arsenal,you really could'nt make it up....The blue sh.te doing us a huge favour and we let ourselves down!

I cant remember a time this season when i've seen our team play so negative...What was all the passing in m/f all about for lond spells,only for the ball to be hit back to Reina and amount to nothing??It was hard to watch!

In fairness to Raffa he did try to change things with Alonso and Pennat,unfortunately they looked as if they wanted to be somewhere else too!
Villa did make it kind of hard defending high up the pitch,but we still should be winning games like this 1-0 if we want to be taken seriously in next seasons title race!
Maybe our players were a bit stale after not playing in a while..its still no excuse!
Another thing i thought Kuyt had a terrible game yesterday everytime he got the ball he lost it...thats ok it happens but the manager needs to be spotting this early on.I would have had him off in the first half and give Fowler a run out...surely he could not have been any worse than our other strikers yesterday.I cant help feeling if Raffa had have been a bit more ruthless and done that we would have a different result today!

Really dissapointed,was a bad game to watch and cost me £300 as well!!
:(
66-1120597113

Postby redmikey » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:31 pm

that game made the pub no fun that was how bad it was,  no link to the front players it looked like they have had a week off and not switched on for a mediocre team
redmikey
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion