ASTON VILLA VS LIVERPOOL - Big test

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:53 pm

So we're now into November (a month in which we normally do notoriously badly) and things are suddenly looking a bit more positive after two convincing displays against West Ham and Anderlecht. Unbelievably, last week after the Palace game comments included the manager should go, Garcia should be dropped, Morientes is useless, and Kewell should never pull on a Liverpool shirt again. Well what a difference a week makes eh? Rafa seems to have stumbled across his best team for now almost through chance, although we on here have been calling for Gerrard to play on the right short term for some time and have also advocating playing two upfront the majority of the time. So we should go to Villa on Saturday full of confidence. And for God's sake Rafa, play the same team that stated against West Ham. There is an International break coming up so there's no need to rotate anybody.

Reina

Finnan       Carra       Hyypia        Riise

Gerrard      Alonso     Sissoko       Garcia

Morientes      Cisse

I'm sorry, but there can be no excuses for that team not going to Villa and winning. I watched Villa the other day against Man City and they were categorically garbage. Their defence is completely useless against anything with pace so Cisse should have a field day if he plays. We have our best two fullbacks back in their rightful positions. Garcia and Gerrard are thriving because they are given licence to roam with two deep lying midfielders behind them in Alonso and Sissoko. Morientes looks to be coming into some form aswell and should start. Considering the abuse Crouch has been getting, starting him against one of his former clubs where he'll get even more stick is not advisable.

This is a big test believe me. All of our victories this season have come at home and we've got to start getting points on the road. Villa are struggling at the moment and this game is there for the taking. A defeat would just put us back to square one again after two decent displays.

I'll go for a 2-0 win, with Morientes and Gerrard to get the goals. Here's hoping anyway.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Garymac » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:07 pm

Totally agree Mick, that team the way it is playing, should have no excuses on Saturday, they should be more than capable of picking 3 points up and i certainly hope Rafa doesnt tinker to much, keep two upfront and keep the same team which won against West Ham.

And as its me 1st away game im going to, i hope to bring the boys some luck on the road, ive been there once and got a 100% winnin record, we beat them 4-2 Fowler got a hat trick, Stan got sent off (for them) and James saved a pen....It wasnt a bad day to say the least!!!!!
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby 2520years » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:14 pm

I agree with most of what you say too Mick, though, personally, I doubt Rafa will keep the same team.  I think it might be a poor game Garymac, but I hope I'm wrong.  I hope we give them a right good thrashing!
:)
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Garymac » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:17 pm

2520years wrote:I agree with most of what you say too Mick, though, personally, I doubt Rafa will keep the same team.  I think it might be a poor game Garymac, but I hope I'm wrong.  I hope we give them a right good thrashing!
:)

Thanks Mate, its bad enough going the HSBC, sorry the midlands (bad joke i know) without it being a boring game!!!!
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:20 pm

I'm still a bit worried about the Jekyll & Hyde nature of this team. Anderlecht were way better than Fulham, and we are talking different dimensions when we compare them to Palace.

Our biggest failing (IMO) is the inability to convert chances. I think we've created more chances than any team we've played (including the Chav's) but we simply aren't clinical enough. When we become more clinical this will transmit itself into increased confidence and we'll become a better team.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:22 pm

i'd settle for a small margin win for us, such as 10 nil :p
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:30 pm

To be honest - I'd settle for a 0-1 win
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BringBackTiti » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:34 pm

Gary Mac have you got the vodka ready for the rain!!!
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BringBackTiti » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:35 pm

that'll be train and not rain by the way
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:47 pm

hawkmoon269 wrote:To be honest - I'd settle for a 0-1 win

:angry:

:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:53 pm

3 points is still 3 points!!! :D
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:57 pm

you know why :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:08 pm

why!
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:54 pm

I Also watched the Villa- Man C game and agree they were awful and looked totally clueless!!In fairness though Man C were bang on form and played some fantastic football!!
It is a huge test for us but i think if Raffa goes with the same team we should have few problems from a team low on confidence and riddled with injuries!!
Im sure i heard the commentator say that O'Leary only had 16 players available for selection on Monday night!!
Villa will still fancy their chances though knowing our away form!
3-1 LFC i reckon(if Raffa does'nt tinker too much)
66-1120597113

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:07 pm

Got to agree about the line-up St Mike, especially about Cisse.
Playing away from home his pace could be a real weapon, he is scoring goals regulaly and last time he played against Villa at the end of last season at Anfield he scored 2.
I hope the players go at Villa and approach the game like the have the last two, if they do a comfortable win is on the cards imo.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion