ASTON VILLA VS LIVERPOOL - The countdown begins

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:43 pm

Can't believe how fast the close season has flown by. We kick off the new season in just 12 days time. :oh:

There's still a bit of paper talk that we're still after one or two more signings, but I think it's fair to say that we know who the crux of the side will be for the new season.

Unless there's a new right back, the defence pretty much picks itself at the moment, particularly while Aurelio continues his recovery.

The left wing is going to be interesting - will Rafa kick off with Kewell and try and keep Babel hungry, or does he start with his new investment and bank on Harry staying fit enough to contribute? My money is on him starting with Kewell, and bring Babel through gradually with subs appearances.

Pennant's going into the new season pretty much unchallenged on the right wing, and probably with a bit more confidence that Gerrard's a back-up option out there as opposed to a preference.

It's actually quite refreshing to start the season being 99% sure where Gerrard will be playing. It's him alongside Alonso or Mascherano all the way for me for the opening game. Good to see Sissoko in form in pre-season though - injuries will hit us in the middle of the park, and it'd be great to have seamless substitutions instead of the real drop off in quality that he and Zenden at times provided.

Up front is going to be seriously interesting. Against pretty much everyone's gut instinct, Voronin has emerged in the few games we've seen him as a genuine option for the first 11, and to be honest that's nothing but brilliant news for the club to know that we are genuinely competitive in the squad up there. Realistically though, it's Torres partnering either Kuyt or Crouch all the way. I'd personally go with Crouch, but seeing as though Robbie started against Sheffield Utd at the beginning of last season, it'd be foolish to assume that whoever starts will have a divine right to the spot for the following fixture.

My XI then:

Reina

Finnan      Carra    Agger      Riise

Pennant   Gerrard  Alonso    Kewell

Torres
                         Crouch

In other news, Sorenson's a serious doubt in goal for Villa, while Luke Moore is looking likely to start for them after a hat-trick in a friendly in Toronto last week.

Bring it the f*ck on.  :buttrock
ivor_the_injun

Postby hello_red » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:54 pm

Cant fracking wait for this! I agree with your line up there although I would play Kuyt ahead of Crouch due to Kuyt being lethal in the box on his day.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:54 pm

What day's that then? :p
ivor_the_injun

Postby The Grudge » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:11 pm

Must win game to get the season off to a good start..remember our second game is Chelsea!

Villa probably had more draws last season than any other team..they seem to play for the draw against the bigger teams especially.
Its not ideal to play your first game away to any team but after our last seasons start only win a will do.Id hate to be in the position of drawing with Villa and loosing to Chelsea,5 points dropped from 6 two games in would be a disaster and does not bare thinking about.

Im sure the the lads will be up for it and will know from last year how crucial a good start is.Personally i feel if we win our first 2 games we can go on a roll and get ourselves in a great position to challenge for the title..We all know how important the start of the season is now and how insignificant a great run late in the season can be if you have lost the title in the first 2 months...please not again.
Oh and if there are any betting men online...you can get LFC (with an 8 goal handicap advantage in our favour) to win the EPL at 15/1...has to be worth a few quid! :D
The Grudge

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:20 pm

lets hope its a more entertaining affair than last seasons.

and we get the 3 points too of course! :D

my prediction is a boring 1-0 win (Which i'd be happy with)
Gerrard to score.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:22 pm

Well fecking excited. It will be fantastic to get off to a winning start. My starting eleven will be.

Reina

Finnan
Carragher
Agger
Riise

Pennant
Mascerano
Gerrard
Kewell

Kuyt
Torres

Bring it on 2-0 Gerrard and Torres

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Wilhelmsson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:44 pm

My XI -

Reina

Finnan   Carragher   Agger   Riise

Mash
Pennant                            Kewell

Gerrard

Crouch       Torres

I'm hoping we can get off to a good start, a handful of goals would do nicely.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:09 pm

We have to win, can't be playing catch up after the opening weekend.

My 11 would be
Reina

Finnan
Carra
Agger
Riise

Pennant
Gerrard
Alonso
Babel

Crouch
Torres

I've got a feeling we'll win, but I actually think we'll hammer them. 4-0. Crouch with a goal against his former club. Gerrard. Torres penalty and a 40 yard screaming goal from Danny Agger.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:44 pm

Villa away was the game when I was actually in England, couldn't get a ticket though and since it was St. Patty's the night before I didn't wake up until halftime. Heard it was boring as feck though. Can't pick my side until I read about watch highlights from the 2 friendlies we have left. Mascherano hasn't played with any of the first teamers this summer. Was in great form at the Copa however (scoring two goals!). I REALLLLLLLLLY want Rafa to experiment with a 4-3-3 in one of the 2 games and then would like to see what he thinks is the best XI in the other.
JoeTerp

Postby destro » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:34 pm

I would start with Torres and Voronin upfront, other than that same line up as the first post
destro

Postby chrisrafman » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:54 pm

i cant wait for the new season. an opening day will see a cool 3-1 win for us. heinze will be a (scouse) red and the word is that mancini from roma is on his way now simao has f*cked off to atletico. my line up

Reina
Finnan
Carra
Agger
Heinze?/Riise
Mancini?/Benayoun
Alonso
Gerro
Babel
Torres
Kuyt

Lets bag a Premiership this year come on!!
The devil on the badge represents the equality of manchester united with satan and his many demoish minions downstairs. just like the many twisted devil worshipers accross the world it means you have to posess the same sick minded mentality to follow that pathetic excuse for a football team.
chrisrafman

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:29 pm

Manhattan predicts Aston Villa 0 Liverpool 1
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:00 am

I agree with Manhatton, 0-1 scrappy victory. Mancini? doubt it hasnt he or his club already said no to us already? anyway we shall play a scrappy attacking game most likely. Looking forward to it with excited unease!
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Sarge » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:50 am

scrappy win 1-0 if torres & kuyt/crouch upfront

3-0 win if voronin & kuyt/crouch with babel as LW

5-0 win if villa suck really bad
http://www.pbh2.com/humor/soccer-dive-gifs/attachment/soccer-dive-gifs-2/
Sarge

Postby babu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:22 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:Manhattan predicts Aston Villa 0 Liverpool 1

aww feck, it'll 0-0 then.  :D

babu