LIVERPOOL VS ASTON VILLA - Sun 22/3/09 4.p.m.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:10 pm

heimdall wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
Owzat wrote:Anyone on here now/still unhappy we didn't get Heskey? Ironic that so many praise villa for having so many English players and they get outclassed so easily be a team with only two English players...

Well and truly guilty on that front   :lookaround

But I still maintain we could use (and will probably need) a big man up-front at some stage before the season is up. Here's hoping (and bloody praying!) that Fernando stays fit for the rest of the season.

Jon Carew would be a hell of a signing, I've been saying that for years now, he's a very good player and was the only Villa player to trouble Reina.

Rafa didn't rate him when he was at valencia . He's strong thats about it .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:13 pm

heimdall wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
Owzat wrote:Anyone on here now/still unhappy we didn't get Heskey? Ironic that so many praise villa for having so many English players and they get outclassed so easily be a team with only two English players...

But I still maintain we could use (and will probably need) a big man up-front at some stage before the season is up. Here's hoping (and bloody praying!) that Fernando stays fit for the rest of the season.

Jon Carew would be a hell of a signing, I've been saying that for years now, he's a very good player and was the only Villa player to trouble Reina.

Carew is a great impact player but I feel he is both too old and injury prone to be a serious transfer target. Have to say though at his best he can be a real handful. Our rediculously underrated keeper had to be at his best once again to keep him out. When will Reina get the credit he deserves outside of Liverpool?

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:14 pm

Owzat wrote:
heimdall wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

And how silly do you reckon MON's asking price will be....................? Would be very surprised if Rafa hasn't already considered him, not so keen myself

Well that is true but I was saying we should sign him way before he went to Villa. He might not be the ideal striker we need but he would certainly provide some good options. I think he must be one of the best headers of the ball in the league at the moment plus he's built like a brick privy, very strong. Would be perfect against crappy teams like Stoke just too bulldozer a goal in.
heimdall

Postby Reg » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:14 pm

Sabre wrote:Image

"Dont let the boss see you celebrate for góds sake Sammy".   :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
heimdall wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

Rafa didn't rate him when he was at valencia . He's strong thats about it .

I forgot about him playing at Valencia, he must have fallen out with Rafa or something because otherwise he would surely have been one of the players to bring with you wouldn't he, especially considerign some of the :censored: strikers Rafa has bought! Maybe I'm a bit biased because he's Norwegian, although he's not actually that good for Norway, but I have always liked him as an impact player, the kind of player who can turn a match. His headers yesterday were great and that little flick he tried was also pretty special and if Reina had not been awake it could have been pretty embarrassing.
heimdall

Postby GYBS » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Sabre wrote:
heimdall wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

I read in another thread you used a stronger praise than very good and I didn't agree.

But this quote I agree, he's a very good player.  :)

I started a thread about him a while ago and got shot down in flames apart from the odd few people who agreed with me . think he would be quality for us
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:24 pm

And Carew won the title with Rafa at Valencia before he was sold onto Roma .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm

Reg wrote:
Sabre wrote:Image

"Dont let the boss see you celebrate for góds sake Sammy".   :laugh:

:D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:41 pm

thegreedo wrote:
heimdall wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

Carew is a great impact player but I feel he is both too old and injury prone to be a serious transfer target. Have to say though at his best he can be a real handful. Our rediculously underrated keeper had to be at his best once again to keep him out. When will Reina get the credit he deserves outside of Liverpool?

I may be wrong but :-

a) didn't Houllier want him while manager here?
b) didn't Houllier want him, and indeed sign him, as manager of Lyon?

and not so sure of c) so it is a question

c) did Houllier sell Carew?

Gotta laugh at his wikipedia page, must be done by villa fans since there is like one paragraph for his "early career" which spanned FIVE clubs before poxy villa.

JOHN CAREW

Ht : 6' 4"

97-99 Valarenga : 14 goals in 33 apps (0.424 goals/app)
99-00 Rosenberg : 18 goals in 18 apps (1.000 goals/app)
00-04 Valencia : 20 goals in 84 apps (0.238 goals/app)
03-04 Roma (loan) : 6 goals in 20 apps (0.300 goals/app)
04-05 Besiktas : 13 goals in 24 apps (0.542 goals/app)
05-07 Lyon : 10 goals in 35 apps (0.286 goals/app)
07-09 A Villa : 23 goals in 61 apps (0.377 goals/app)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carew

*wikipedia only includes league games and goals I believe. Don't think Carew has been updated since mid-January

Not all about his goals, that said I'd rather we played the ball than hoofed it towards a target a la Heskey and Crouch and we do need goals. He wouldn't play instead of Torres so we'd have to change formation and Gerrard's role which might make either or both of them less effective. Our system gets the best out of both, it needs the rest of the team to work well - like a "well oiled machine" - to be winning more often.

His International goals make interesting reading :

JOHN CAREW (21 GOALS FOR NORWAY)

Friendlies (8) : 1 vs Estonia, 1 vs Sweden, 1 vs Italy, 2 vs Argentina, 1 vs N.Ireland, 1vs Serbia, 1 vs Montenegro

Competitive (13) :

1 vs Italy

1 vs Poland
1 vs Denmark
1 vs Greece

1 vs Wales
2 vs Hungary
1 vs Slovakia
1 vs Slovenia

1 vs Belarus
2 vs Armenia
1 vs Bosnia

74 caps for Norway, 21 goals. 8 in friendlies, 13 in competitive matches. I'm more impressed with the opposition he's scored against in friendlies than the competitive matches - Italy, Argentina (x2), Sweden and Serbia. Obviously friendlies are of limited meaning, but most of the sides he scores against in competitive matches are ordinary at best - Wales, Greece, Slovakia, Slovenia, Armenia and Bosnia have eight tournament appearances between them and Hungary haven't qualified for any since 1986.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:52 pm

Another fine win and things are starting to look very interesting. Hopefully we can keep up the pressure after that damn international break.
JamCar05

Postby Judge » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:08 pm

back in the melting pot :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Rafael Benitez is the ultimate perfectionist and as hard to please as any manager in football.

Even after yesterday's 5-0 victory over Aston Villa, Benitez looked about as happy as Cheryl Cole after she got that text while following Chris Moyles' backside up a mountain. "Don’t get me wrong, I am really happy," Benitez said. "The players are doing a fantastic job, but always can improve a little bit.”

In his autobiography, Steven Gerrard gave us an insight into the Benitez mindset. "If Liverpool win and I stick away a dead good hat-trick and do ninety-eight things right and two wrong, Rafa will pull me up sharpish. ‘Stevie, about those two mistakes,’ he will say. Nothing about the hat-trick or the ninety-eight good things ... My aim is still to get a ‘well done’ off Rafa before I retire. But then, if he gives me a ‘well done’, I might need treatment and a long lie-down."

So here's our shot at coming up with five things that will make Rafa come as close to smiling as he did when he passed that last kidney stone (and it wasn't easy... the list not the kidney stone)

1. The Kop to sing Lucas Leiva's name and hail him as their new hero as he is brought on at Anfield.

2. Benitez to be offered improved terms on yet another new contract in which he is given control of players' wages, staff wages, length and colour of players' hair, season ticket prices, appointment of Melwood cleaning staff, temperature in the stadium, the weather, ...

3. Sir Alex Ferguson to crack under the intense pressure of the title race and in an impassioned post-match interview with Sky Sports' Geoff Shreeves (scheduling permitting, of course) the Scot to say that "he would love it, just love it if he beat Liverpool."

4. Rick Parry left to carry his own personal effects through the Shankly Gates after negotiations with removal company collapse.

5. Liverpool to beat Jurgen Klinsmann's Bayern Munich in the semi-final of this season's Champions League
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:17 pm

f.ucking great win lads well in  :buttrock

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundalk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Kuys face :D

Nandos face :cool:  and a little smile

Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:02 pm

tonyeh wrote:
Sabre wrote:
"The team was doing well but it's true I am not totally happy because we could have scored more goals," said Benitez, who wanted the Reds to push on after the dismissal of Brad Friedel at 4-0.

"We were playing against 10 players and had three or four more chances. It's really important to take them because you never know what's going to happen with the goal difference.

"Today it wasn't key but in other games it has been. I wanted more goals. It's an area we need to improve.

It's interesting this self criticism of the manager. He does so at a stage of the season in which our effectiveness is being lethal. We didn't have that effectiveness when Torres wasn't available and clearly that's something the managers want out of the players.

It's a good self criticism IMHO and the goal difference do have importance. Not to mention that these spankings are sending the right messages to our next rivals. These results do intimidate and that's a good thing.

No...he's just a moaning kunt.

Why can't he just be happy with the win........blah, blah, blah...ad nauseum........

:D

Slightly risible that you have the audacity to call Benitez a moaning k.unt
after all the moaning you have done about him this season. It is not long ago that you wanted him out of the place! At least Rafa only gets it wrong some of the time unlike yourself!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext