LIVERPOOL VS MANCHESTER CITY - 11 apr 2011

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:51 am

Great performance and victory last night.  The King has to be giving the job full time and backed with some serious money.

Its a shame that the results against weaker teams will be what costs us Champions League. its up to the fans and the players to be at the same level for all matches.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:42 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
metalhead wrote:omg... maypax started the match thread, we are doomed :(

:kungfu:  :laugh:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 pm

Scottbot wrote:Best performance in 2 seasons for me.

Wa saying this on the way back last night. Best League display I've seen since 08/09 when we smashed Villa 5-0. First half in particular we played some sublime stuff. The thing is, we've set a level now and that's what we've got to try and maintain. It's so frustrating when you see the hunger and desire we displayed last night in comparison with the dross we served up at West Ham and West Brom. It's like a different team almost.

Not going to single anybody out as every player was excellent. I will however say that the Suarez/Carroll partnership has got me absolutely drooling already. Not just their abililty to link up and their own individual skill, but their work rates were absolutely immense. Compare that with Balotelli and Dzeko who didn't lift a leg.

Onwards and upwards :buttrock
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Best performance I have seen for some time.  Teamwork was amazing, defending from the front like the days of Rush and Dalglish.

I thought Spearing was brilliant last night, he didnt let anyone have any time on the ball at all, Suarez is a magician, he finds space where there is none and Andy Carroll came of age with a Gladiator of a performance.

Flannagan had a great game although wasnt really tested too much.  I agreed with the Sky commentary team when they said they where surprised that Johnson wasnt put on the left to test him out.

Great to have Aurellio back and looks like he made it through unhurt which is good with Arsenal up next.

YNWA
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby killerp » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:26 pm

ethanr wrote:
killerp wrote:We could be the reason man city drop out of the top 4 :D

Well done Carroll, the first of many goals to come.

Unless we are nicking their spot, I don't want them to drop.  We will be competing this summer with spurs for a lot of players.  CL qualified spurs will be much harder to beat out of top players than El qualified spurs.

Now if we overcome both of them...  :)

To overcome both....if we did that I can see statues of KK being built. :D

He deserves at least one for getting us back on track this season & injecting a renewed energy into the team!
killerp

Postby Greavesie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Linda appreciated Sweet Caroline being played at Anfield :)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Scottbot » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Just watched the game again on LFC TV and still coming to the same conclusion. Made City look very very average. Very impressive right across the park. Lucas and Spearing bossed it in the middle of the park and they simply didn't know how to deal with Suarez and Carroll. Loved the way we pressed the ball as a team which was reminiscent of asome of our very best performances under Benitez. Young Flanagan did very well at Right Back but lets see how he does at the Emirates in a very different game. The progress of Spearing, Kelly and now Flanagan must be doing wonders for the lads at the Academy and it can only be a good thing with the likes of Suso and Sterling expected to be knocking the first team door in the next couple of years.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:23 pm

i am keeping my feet on the floor, as Ian rush said, we was helped to win that game due to some very bad play by them.

so we looked better than we was, but we still looked like a team, thats the main thing i got from last night.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mkingdom » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Once we again we raise our game against one of the bigger teams, and we play with enormous energy, great closing down, and a massive desire to win.  The trick is to keep something like that up for every game.

We literally blew City away last night, as we did with Chelsea and Utd earlier in the season. 

Highlights last night -

Striking partnership looks tasty

Aurelio oozes class and we look totally different at the back with him there, and if we can get a settled back four with Aurelio, Agger and Kelly somewhere in it we will be in a good place.  Add to that Carra and Johnson and we look good at the back should players stay fit for longer than ten minutes.

Flanagan did well, but impossible to judge him on one game.  Giving the youngsters a go is a breath of fresh of air, and I'm excited about the others who may break through soon

Kuyt's energy and desire was incredible.

Everyone keeps saying KK is nailed on to the the full time job but I have a niggling doubt something else will happen.  Personally I think the owners would be insane to not give him a decent contract and some serious backing in the window.  What else does he have to do?

As for the next game, it is the impossible situation of winning and helping the scum edge towards the title.  We may as well get the 19th for them over with this year when we have had a rotten season with massive disruption, and come back strong next year.  With any luck SAF will feck off and retire and drink himself into oblivion.
mkingdom

Postby PabloMedina28 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:47 pm

damjan193 wrote:Great game, great performance, so glad Carroll scored, and not once but twice! Out of the 3 top winter transfers including strikers in the perm, out of Dzeko, the rent boy a.k.a. Judas (hope he was watching) and Carroll, our man scored frist in the perm and he didnt even play for like a month. Anyway, great performance by the rest of the team as well, especialy from Kuyt (Don't know how many would agree with this but he was MOM for me) and Meireles. Suarez and Lucas were Ok aswell. Glad to see Aurelio back from injury, solid performance by him as well. And ofcourse, I musnt forget about Flanagan. Such a cold blooded display, unlike Wilson, this kid had everything under control and was never nervous or showed any fear. His concentration I praise the most, but he showed that he is an excellent passer as well. Great performance by the kid, hope to see him become a world class full back in the future.

All in all, a good game from the lads, one of the greatest in the season, wish we could play like this with lesser teams :).

Oh and yeah, revenge is sweat :D

To be fair Wilsons played in games where the opposition have actually shown up. I thought the last game he played for us at LB he had a solid game, actually did more then Flanagan did but the result wasnt as good and the players around him werent as convincing so he doesnt get as much praise. That and hes not a scoucer.

Not knocking Flanagan however i thought afew months back he could be a really great player for us like Carra a real rock for us for the next decade maybe more and i still do. But lets not have a pop at Wilson. He is only 18 after all.
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby worcester_red » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Very good performance but the worry is why we can't play like that against West Brom, that really worries me, but feck me what a strike partnership we now have.
worcester_red

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:08 am

Absolutely spewing, missed the game. No Inet or TV where I was last week. :(
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games