LIVERPOOL VS MANCHESTER CITY - 11 apr 2011

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:18 am

we've got only 4 fit defenders in Carragher, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos and Wilson, all of whom are centre backs by trade. not a single one of our fullbacks are available as  Insua,  Degen, Darby and Konchesky are all out on loan and Kelly, Aurelio and Johnson are all injured. I reckon Kenny would revert to a 3-man defense. OR perhaps take the risk and throw Robinson or Flanagan into the picture?

having 3 central defenders could be a good thing as the City attackers love to cut inside, especially Silva. we could crowd out the space and deter any threats to goal. Gerrard is injured is he? we look so void of options when we don't have him around and i'm not sure which Raul is gonna turn up. based on the current squad, in comparison to the attacking options City has, best we could hope for is a draw.

i would play the following players and formation. i reckon Kuyt should be played deeper this time round as his energy would be able to help out Carragher who is sure to have a hard time with the speed of the City players. Cole and Suarez are incredibly tricky players and would love to see them link up together on the left side.

------------------Reina

------Carragher--Skrtel--Soto

Kuyt--------------------------Robinson
----------Meireles---Lucas
-----------------Cole

----------Carroll----Suarez

OR

-----------------Reina

Carragher---Skrtel---Soto---Wilson

Kuyt-----Meireles----Lucas----Cole

-----------Carroll----Suarez

OR

------------Reina

Carragher---Skrtel---Soto

-------Lucas---Poulson

Kuyt-------Meireles----Cole

-------Carroll---Suarez

we're desperate for a commanding defensive midfielder. it's clear as day that Spearing and Poulson are not gonna make it and Lucas is average. having said that, i would go for the 3rd formation posted above.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ethanr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:17 am

You don't wanna play Gerrard? I kinda think he will start.

Reina
Carra, Skrtel, Soto
Kuyt, Gerrard, Lucas, Maxi
Meireles
Carroll, Suarez

I'm expecting something like that.  3 basically useless defenders and an extra CM is better than 4 basically useless CBs
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby metalhead » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:55 am

omg... maypax started the match thread, we are doomed :(

Anyways, hopefully we will have Gerrard back in the game (we miss him!).

Man City are very poor away from home and I don't see Mancini going all out, he will play very defensively. Also, our home form under Kenny is awesome.

3-1 redmen!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:04 am

ethanr wrote:You don't wanna play Gerrard? I kinda think he will start.

is he back? i thought he was injured or something.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:44 am

Gerrard is injured again, maybe for the rest of the season :(
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:37 am

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:Gerrard is injured again, maybe for the rest of the season :(

I have heard that he is out for the season.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Alex88 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:42 am

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:Gerrard is injured again, maybe for the rest of the season :(

DAMN!!

We need Gerrard. There is no alternative.

Anyway, 2-1 for us.

Carroll
Balotelli
Suarez
Alex88

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Monday night kick offs :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:25 pm

stmichael wrote:Monday night kick offs :angry:

This ^^

Our Monday night form is awful. 1 win in 6 I think.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mkingdom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:26 pm

Jesus we are struggling to find a decent 11.  City blow hot and cold, but then again so do we.

We MUST bounce back after the shocking display on Saturday but I'm not sure we have enough players good enough to do so.  A draw!

Reina

Carra  Skrtel Soto  Wilson

Kuyt  Lucas  Mereiles  Maxi

Suarez   Carroll

is my prediction of what KK will go for.
mkingdom

Postby ethanr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:48 pm

OH sh!t... I heard Stevie had a minor set back but it sounded like he barely didn't make the bench..

I still say 3-1 to us.  We have great form home as of late and city are very inconsistent away.  They have the match with manure to worry about as well, so they may not put out the absolute strongest lineup.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:56 pm

City will play very defensively and try and hit us on the break - I think we will struggle to break them down without Gerrard, (and playing with Lucas and Spearing in the middle).

Also with our current defensive issues I am very nervous about this game. :(
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:02 pm

It will be a typical ironic performance. Awful against mediocre opposition but able to turn over the big boys.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alwayslfc » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:56 am

Let's cheer the Reds for a win over City. However with Gerrard and the 2 first choice left and right backs missing, I think we'll get beat again and the only consolation is, we're still 6th despite that. To stand a chance of a result, I feel Kenny should put Suarez on the left wing and let Kuyt and Carroll be on the firing line.

I really admire Kenny's courage in taking up the job in January as he was putting his iconic status with the fans on the line with the mostly below average players he has available. Even if we drop down from 6th come May, I still feel he has done a fantastic job in lifting the reds from the drop to Div. 1. If RH were still in charge, most likely we are fighting a relegation battle right now.
alwayslfc

Postby mkingdom » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:38 pm

Lucas and Spearing in CM is quite depressing really.  I've nothing against either, and in the right starting 11 both can do a job.

But those two against City's CM looks like men v boys tbh.  They will probably have one or both of Milner and Johnson on the bench, who would both walk into our first team right now.

Add to that a back four of Carra at RB, with Skrtel and Soto at CM with Wilson at LB and I almost don't want to watch :(

Whilst I'm on this downer, I really hope Carroll can prove me wrong, but with his lack of fitness he's looking like a cart horse at the minute.

All in all I'd be happy with a draw!  :D
mkingdom

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games