LIVERPOOL V. STOKE CITY - Wednesday 19th august 2009: 20:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Dundalk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:04 am

Last edited by Dundalk on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 am

All in all a good performance but then anything we produced was going to be an improvement on the Spurs match. Alot of positives as people have said. Johnson brilliant going forward. Benayoun always a threat and Lucas imposing himself on the game more in midfield.

As for Stoke, I don't know how their fans put up with watching their team every week. Have absolutely nothing to offer apart from set pieces.

Just really annoying that we'll be playing catchup again now with us not playing again till Monday night. It'll be a more difficult test than Stoke but if we play to the same standard again, I can see nothing other than 3 points for us.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Tim LFC » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:57 am

We'll wipe the floor with a much weaker and unsettled Villa squad compared to last year! I'm going 3-1 to us!
Tim LFC

Postby Reg » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:00 am

:p :p  Happy Times :p :p

Lads lets remain positive and not drift back into manic depression......... :O
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:21 am

Reg wrote::p  Happy Times :p :p

Lads lets remain positive and not drift back into manic depression......... :O

:D

It does put things into a bit more perspective now, doesn't it Reg?  I mean we haven't completely forgotten how to play football since May.  Now, I can understand the alarm bells that were ringing after Sunday's match--our performance was dire.  What I couldn't quite get my head around was how many people were writing us off on the back of one match.  Yes, yes, it's the most competitive league in the world and you can't afford to give your competitors too much of a head start etc. etc.  All fair enough.  How many times, though, have we written ourselves off under Rafa only to see the lads hit form soon thereafter and look like world beaters?  It happened last year after the loss at Boro.  It happened the year before after the loss to Barnsley.  It happened in Istanbul.  It happens a fair bit under Rafa, actually.  Just when you think the wheels are about to come completely off the lads come up with a performance.  Hopefully tonight's will set us right after an indifferent preseason/season opener and nudge us back toward playing like we did during the run in last season.
Last edited by Bad Bob on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:04 am

Fair play to Lucas, it was one of the most consistent performances I've seen from him - did a bit of everything and well. Johnson was different class, so too was Gerrard for that matter. He was brilliant throughout, really made us tick in the final third with his passing and movment and the assist he made was unreal. A confident, fluid performance in which everyone had a good game. I canm't think of anyone who didn't, it was an all-round delight. Toward the end I began to feel sorry for all the stick Voronin's taken so happy was I :laugh:
LFC2007

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:54 am

Scottbot wrote:What a difference a few days can make in football eh!

What a difference scoring early can make. 0-0 vs Stoke home and away last season, score early this season and win 4-0. Makes you wonder "what if" as those two 0-0s arguably cost us the title.

A BETTER performance last night, not perfect and Stoke didn't make it that hard for us which may have as much to do with us scoring early and changing the mentality of both sides. Johnson played well, but let's not get too carried away already as some seem to be, there's playing well and there's worth £17.5m - the latter can only really be CLAIMED after we're a lot further into the season - two games maketh a season not.

Good for five different players to get on the scoresheet in the first two games, shame some of those anonymous players from Sunday didn't have the same kind of game they did last night, where was the Gerrard of last night, Torres, Kuyt etc? And their route-one rout-ine didn't trouble us much at all, I did think they might test Insua and Ayala a bit more but thankfully they didn't have enough in them or were too shaken by our early goal.

I can't help but think how different it might be had we played better on Sunday, or not played spudz first up. While 4-0 is great, and 0-1 to the mancs just as pleasing, you do have to feel somewhat disappointed we've won so comfortably having played so poorly and lost the previous game. I'm sure I'm not alone in being willing to take a 1-0 in last night's game in exchange for a replay of Sunday's. Maybe we can write to the FA and say it was a manc plot, our players were kidnapped and lookalikes fielded in their stead. The way most played Sunday you do have to wonder if that isn't plausible.

Good win, we need to keep it up. Win, win, win and then win and put pressure on the mancs and hopefully Chelsea. Neither of those two has played anyone yet, I'd have expected most top four sides to win against Hull, Sunderland, Burnley and Brum. Only 1-0 over brum, 0-1 vs Burnley and the mancs no doubt still think winning the league is a foregone concluison with or without Ronaldo. Bottom line is HE would have at very least scored the penalty that Carrick (why did he take it?!?!) missed, dived for a couple more and probably created two or three other opportunities including a free-kick or two that would have probably seen them home in the past. The notion they "won't miss Ronaldo" is BS of the highest order, you don't take a free-kick and penalty machine who scores you 20-30 goals from midfield out of the side and expect nothing to be different. At the very least the pressure is on the rest of their side to score more and contribute more individually.

Funniest claim I've read and heard by mancs is "Rooney is the new Ronaldo" - is that except Rooney goes missing in the little games not the big ones...............?  :laugh:
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:45 am

Only saw highlights and were pleased with result and the spread of goals

Im not going to get carried away in either positive or negative way after just two games. I will say Im just bloody happy to get 3 points against Stoke after 4 crucial dropped points last season.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:41 am

Bad Bob wrote:Now that's more like it! :D  Some really fine performances and a special mention to Reina for a fantastic save at a crucial time.  We did not need to let them back into the game right after the re-start.  The worry was how flat we seemed for the mid-part of the first half.  But, the lads grew in composure as the 2nd half progressed and started to look much more like the Liverpool of last season.  Johnson looks like he's been playing in front of the Kop for years and credit to the lad Ayala for keeping his cool and doing his job well.  :cool:

A bit late to the party, but I'd agree that Johnson had a pretty good game last night. A few dozen more like that, if you don't mind mate...
And Ayala, I was chuffed for him. Granted it wasn't the biggest test he's likely to face, but well done Rafa in sticking with him. Didn't catch the very end of the game with the players coming off the pitch, but I'd be interested to know if any of the more seasoned players put an arm around and congratulated him....
And Lucas played pretty well also.
All round, a good night's work...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Greavesie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:54 am

Tim LFC wrote:We'll wipe the floor with a much weaker and unsettled Villa squad compared to last year! I'm going 3-1 to us!

we stuffed them 5:0 last year mate
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Tim LFC » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:32 am

Greavesie wrote:
Tim LFC wrote:We'll wipe the floor with a much weaker and unsettled Villa squad compared to last year! I'm going 3-1 to us!

we stuffed them 5:0 last year mate

At the end of the season.When we were really pushing for Man U I think Villa will score but i think we will score 3 past them. Torres,Lucas,Yossi.
Tim LFC

Postby Reg » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Lets not forget we gave away FAR too many free kicks in what should have been dangerous positions.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Reg wrote:Lets not forget we gave away FAR too many free kicks in what should have been dangerous positions.

Do that against villa and i have no doubts that young will punish us from one of those
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:26 pm

Reg wrote:Lets not forget we gave away FAR too many free kicks in what should have been dangerous positions.

Good point. Wonder what the stats were on that - maybe Joe Terp has that on the tip of his tongue  :p

On another note, when are we going to figure out how to take a bloody corner kick ? Dunno how many wasted balls there were last nite from corners, most not even beating the first man....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby akumaface » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:36 pm

Missed the match but saw the highlights and it seems Gerard was assisting on 3 of the goals. By going more offensive, i think we should win more against the lesser team this season. Just hope we will have the same result playing the big 4 just like last season. I don';t have any knocks last night but hope Rafa will do something about the bench as it is a long season and an adequate bench is crucial.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games