STOKE CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 10 september 2011, ko: 15:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ethanr » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:15 pm

tubby wrote:What good will talking to the owners do?

Very, very smart thing for KD to say.  By saying that, he's pointing out the obvious facts:

He's always been respectful to the ref's decisions
Clubs that haven't been respectful seem to benefit from it
Liverpool have clearly been hard done this season

Dalglish is basically pointing out the fact that, him being respectful to refs have only hurt Liverpool as calls continue to go against us.  Managers like Pullis who complain about being hard done have benefitted from complaining.  Whether Dalglish actually speaks to the owners isn't important, he was simply bringing to light the fact he realizes that complaining about refs has caused refs to help to club complaining and hurt he clubs who are being respectful.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:19 pm

tubby wrote:It's fustrating when decisions go against you, but even more so when those decisions can mean the difference between winning and losing a game. The best way forward is to get 3 points in the next game and then everyone will have forgotten about today. Score aside I was generally happy with us today. Ok Adam had a bit of a stinker but we had most of the possession and carved out plenty of chances.

Fully agree Bav.  I absolutely hate blaming refs for bad results.  But it is deserved this time.

However.  The saddest part about the result is that I thought we looked great.  Sure we had some spells during the match where we were giving possesion away a bit, looked a little disjointed, but we had sooo many "Nearly" moments.  We can blame the refs all we want.  If we'd have taken our chances, those decisions would have been a mere afterthought.

BTW Begovic, IMO is the best shot stopper in the league.  not the best keeper overall, but the guy is incredible.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Wasn't a bad performance but whats disappointing is that the game was there for the taking (make no mistake about it, Stoke did very little through the middle of the park and had a poor game pressing our players in the middle) yet we failed to do what the top top clubs do best which is exploit opposition weaknesses.

We slowed down the pace to one that was more comfortable for them and weren't really able to take our chances. Happens and hopefully we'll recover and learn from our mistakes today..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:32 pm

I think fair play has always been a big part of being a Liverpool fan and Dalglish is trying hard to uphold that tradition in a changing football world. I see it even at Blue Square level, teams that challenge every decision, managers and coaches at the ref and liner all game, and usually those teams are successful unfortunately. Its a shame it has come to this and I hate it, its not our way, and I hope it never is, but its so frustrating and clearly its got to Kenny a bit today after that.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:48 pm

ethanr wrote:
tubby wrote:What good will talking to the owners do?

Very, very smart thing for KD to say.  By saying that, he's pointing out the obvious facts:

He's always been respectful to the ref's decisions
Clubs that haven't been respectful seem to benefit from it
Liverpool have clearly been hard done this season

Dalglish is basically pointing out the fact that, him being respectful to refs have only hurt Liverpool as calls continue to go against us.  Managers like Pullis who complain about being hard done have benefitted from complaining.  Whether Dalglish actually speaks to the owners isn't important, he was simply bringing to light the fact he realizes that complaining about refs has caused refs to help to club complaining and hurt he clubs who are being respectful.

Purple nose does it every season regular as clockwork and probably gains five to six points a season from decisions going their way
Thommo's perm

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:49 pm

cant blame the ref for that result.
even the dogs on the street know how stoke play and set up and we walked into it,simple as.they stuffed us there last season and didnt fear us again today.
we did play well for good spells in the game but we were also sloppy and wasteful.we got so desperate late on that players were losing the heads and that was never gonna help the situation.
still only for that sloppy pen that carra gave away we contained them well enough and can take some positives from the game.
anyway 7 pts to show from 4 games against 3 mid table sides and a bad arsenal team is no where near good enough.
things must improve if we are serious about returning to the top 4
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:00 pm

On a positive it was a decent performance where we dominated for most of the match, had the most attempts and corners  but failed to capitalise. We are still a work in progress and we cant be too harsh after just four games
Dont forget its a snickers not a sprint
:)
Thommo's perm

Postby stmichael » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Just got back now. Frustrated beyond belief. It was just one of those days unfortunately whem everything went against us. We completely dominated them (must have had 70% possession at least) and i must have counted nearly 20 shots to their 2. The passage of play when we had 5 shots in about 10 seconds all blocked beggared belief. Add this to a daft penalty given away, Suarez practically missing an open goal and the ref missing an absolutely blatant handball and it just wasn't meant to be.

It's by no means all doom and gloom though. Compare the spirit and will to get back into the game we displayed compared to our feeble surrender at the Britannia a year ago. Adam and Henderson were both poor but you can't call for their heads off the back of one game. Carra on the other hand is a different matter. Not just because of the penalty but because he was back to his hoofing worse again.

Keep the same application and attitude and our luck will turn. We owe Spurs one and we can still go there and win. Be interesting to see the team for that one though.
Last edited by stmichael on Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:13 pm

stmichael wrote:Just got back now. Frustrated beyond belief. It was just one of those days unfortunately whem everything went against us. We completely dominated them (must have had 70% possession at least) and i must have counted nearly 20 shots to their 2. The passage of play when we had 5 shots in about 10 seconds all blocked beggared belief. Add this to a daft penalty given away, Suarez practically missing an open goal and the ref missing an absolutely blatant handball and it just wasn't meant to be.

It's by no means all doom and gloom though. Compare the spirit and will to get back into the game we displayed compared to our feeble surrender at the Britannia a year ago. Adam and Henderson were both poor but you can't call for their heads off the back of one game. Carra on the other hand is a different matter. Not just because of the penalty but because he was back to his hoofing worse again.

Keep the same application and attitude and our luck will turn. We owe Spurs one and we can still go there and win. Be interesting to see the team for that one though.

To be fair I think we will do better against teams that like to play football. Stoke have a plan that works like a dream for them at home, especially against us.
KK will work the combination out soon and we will learn from our mistakes
Thommo's perm

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:38 pm

I think it speaks volumes when Kenny himself is getting pretty p*ssed off with the referees. For a long time now Liverpool have had some of the most awful decisions go against them, and yet, because no complaint was made, it was brushed under the carpet. Time and time again we are being screwed over by the referees, not because of the odd mistake, but the blatant inconsistency of the decisions made. And always against us.

Are these refs rubbish? or do they know exactly what they are doing?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Kharhaz wrote:Are these refs rubbish? or do they know exactly what they are doing?

Yes, some are, and yes, (probably getting paid by the Mwanckers) :)

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby stmichael » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Kharhaz wrote:Are these refs rubbish? or do they know exactly what they are doing?

i'm not a fan of referees but in fairness to them their "assistants" are even worse. In the majority of cases they are in a better position to see an incident than the referee but miss what's right infront of their face. The communication between officials is laughable to say the least. For example watch the handball by Larsson on the line for Sunderland against Newcastle a few weeks back. The linesman was looking right at it and still got it wrong.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Dundalk » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:40 pm

One of those days.

Simple as that. Normally after we are beat I'm in bad form for the rest of the day, but today was different. We were very good today and but for a little bit of bad luck, some bad refereeing and some poor finishing we would have won today easily. I'm not to down about it all, I fancy us to go to spurs next week and win. We look confident as a team and there is plenty of goals in the team.

Charlie Adam wasn't great today in my opinion and when Carroll came of the bench he was very poor, Downing again looked very good.

We move on.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:45 pm

Really piss3d off by the result, and I hate making excuses, it was a moment of stupidness that cost us the game, Carra did not have to make a challenge, Walters was going nowhere and carra just needed to stand up to him goal side.

We had all the possession and it would have been a lot easier to score had they not been given the lead, yeah the ref was a joke, but Stoke are still easy to work out, they play text book percentage football, and we still should have found a way round.

The result was bad, the performance was not overall, and the players and Kenny should learn from it quickly. Maybe it's our one game of the season where we dominate the whole game, and lose.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Kukilon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:10 am

Piece of :censored: referee. Stoke doesn't deserve a point from this game and even worse three points.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games