LIVERPOOL VS WIGAN ATHLETIC - Wednesday 16th december 2009

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:23 pm

Well said mate - well said
Benny The Noon

Postby Espionage » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:23 pm

TheLad wrote:A win is a win. 3 points in the bag.

Amen brother.

Now we need to go out and do the business against Portsmouth. A few more '3 points in the bag' would do nicely.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:28 pm

We've got pompey and wolves as our next 2 games  , on paper guarantees 6 points but matches are never won on paper espeically not with us. Cut out the mistakes and take the game to them and we should be fine. Now on the 29th we play villa now this could be huge depending on who gets 4th , if we win we close down their 5 point gap at the moment . After villa we have Spurs on the 10th another top 4 contender , we need a result against them as well . If we get a decent run of wins going from the pompey and wolves game , we should have too much for villa and spurs losing their best defenders bassong and assou ekotto i think to the African nations cup.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:30 pm

I am just happy we won mate, maybe we didn't play great but we got three points which is more than enough for me at the moment.
I'm more relieved than happy TBH. I'll be more at ease if we can build a run, which is the main problem this season. We were a mixed bag tonight when we really should have put Wigan to the sword. The next two games are fairly straight forward. Let's hope we both get good performances, and good results, because that will be extremely important to breaking up this voodoo we're in.

Relieved is probably a better word mate  :D

As long as we can take this forward and gain some confidence it will do for me.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:35 pm

It really does need to be a turning point in the season now - we must build on the game and get wins against pompey and wolves now and then step up , then next 3 weeks going to be crucial
Benny The Noon

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:35 pm

Up to 6th in the table with 27 points , spurs on 30 and villa on 32 .
Last edited by Toffeehater on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:37 pm

s@int wrote:
I am just happy we won mate, maybe we didn't play great but we got three points which is more than enough for me at the moment.
I'm more relieved than happy TBH. I'll be more at ease if we can build a run, which is the main problem this season. We were a mixed bag tonight when we really should have put Wigan to the sword. The next two games are fairly straight forward. Let's hope we both get good performances, and good results, because that will be extremely important to breaking up this voodoo we're in.

Relieved is probably a better word mate  :D

As long as we can take this forward and gain some confidence it will do for me.

Aye Relieved is definitely the word! Beat Pompey on Sat and i'll be relieved again, win against Wolves as well and then i'll entertain happiness, at least until the Villa game. Need to get on a run now.

Can't remember the idiot whinging about Gerrard's form tonight but I thought he played well.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:39 pm

I was saying he had a shocking first half scott but played a lot lot better in the second half and now we gotta see more of the same
Benny The Noon

Postby Scottbot » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:39 pm

All i know is that the Arsenal fans (mostly current and ex-students) who were giving me a lot of grief Sunday/Monday seem to have gone very quiet this evening  :D  :D  :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:40 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:I was saying he had a shocking first half scott but played a lot lot better in the second half and now we gotta see more of the same

I only saw the 2nd half!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:41 pm

Then gerrard had a great game scott - first half he was pretty poor - lost possesion a number of times , some really bad passes that could of been worse if masher hadnt covered his backside but he certainly picked it up second half and was very dangerous and started to show his quality
Benny The Noon

Postby fivecups » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:48 pm

Bad Bob wrote:I thought Ngog had a great little game tonight, BTW.  The goal was well taken and he looked dangerous throughout.  I particularly liked his lay-off for Kuyt for what should have been our 2nd (or 3rd)?  Starting to look a little like a player, this lad.

Agree Bob, showed some great awareness to link up play, I like him.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:52 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Then gerrard had a great game scott - first half he was pretty poor - lost possesion a number of times , some really bad passes that could of been worse if masher hadnt covered his backside but he certainly picked it up second half and was very dangerous and started to show his quality

I think he was far from his rampaging best but he still offered more in an attacking sense than Lucas.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:58 pm

My point though Benny, was that Gerrard even in the first half when he wasn't playing as well was still pushing the team forwards. The players were on the front foot and knew if they made the runs Gerrard would try to find them. Once Lucas came on the passing became negative, we didn't move the ball forward as fast or as aggressively and Wigan came back strongly. We may not lose possession as much with Lucas, but he doesn't create the same threat with his passing either, and he doesn't get the team moving forward. They are all stood flatfooted waiting rather than making runs or anticipating a forward ball.

I really thought it was emphasised tonight.

The other point was that Wigan were frightened of trying to press too much when Gerrard was in midfield because they knew he could kill them with one pass, when Lucas came on they were comfortable pressing because they knew Lucas couldn't.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:22 am

Scottbot wrote:All i know is that the Arsenal fans (mostly current and ex-students) who were giving me a lot of grief Sunday/Monday seem to have gone very quiet this evening  :D  :D  :D

:laugh: tell me about it :laugh: Cant wait for Saturday now,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games