Liverpool FC v Newcastle Wednesday 26th December 2018 3.00pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:50 pm

devaney » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:42 pm wrote:Just a little comparison of Alonso’s and Gerrard’s CL medal and Henderson’s league cup medal - didn’t think it was that tricky.

Just to show how ridiculous it is to make comparisons like that

Traore won a CL medal - Robertson has won nothing
Baros won a CL medal - Suarez won a League Cip medal
Cisse won a CL medal and Torres won nothing

Medals won in team comps show how good the team was at that particular time - the team in 05 won the CL -  but I suspect not one person will think it’s a better team than we have now

I’m not sure why you were attempting to compare Gerrard , Xabi and Henderson - no one is suggesting Henderson is better than either of the players

It’s all the “team” not individuals but the team and right now the “team” imo is the best we have had in the Prem era
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:46 pm

In 08/09 Torres only made 24 league appearances and 4 of those were off the bench so he only started half of our league games that season. Rafa crucially let Robbie Keane go in January which only left David Ngog as Torres's back up for the second half of the season.
Given only 4 points separated us and United at the end and Torres only started half the games maybe Rafa's decision to ditch Keane cost us the title that year?
We only lost 2 games that season but as Benny says it was the 11 draws which sunk us, we couldn't get the ball in the net but as I said with Torres missing half the games is that really surprising?
To be fair to Rafa he wasn't given the backing that other Liverpool managers have had. We had the quality to go toe to toe with a prime Ronaldo and Rooney but we didn't have the depth.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:20 am

In 08/09 we had better individuals on paper, but right now we are a better team and have better performances. The 08/09 team wouldn't have been first right now IMO, we would have been in the mix but not top.

I tend to agree with Lallana, a tad tedious but he's got a point on this one, to an extent. However, I got one question for you (Lallana, Benny whoever) - you say Gerrard was the driving force of that 08/09 team and most of that team's success was because of him. Do you not think that this team's performance is also mostly because of van Dijk? Do you think we'd be anywhere near where we are if, touch wood, he would get a lengthy injury (like De Bruyne)?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Alonso, Gerrard and Torres.... what a dream. Wonderful support players like Dirk, Bennyoun, Skittle, Agger etc..

Liverpool used a total of 28 players during the season, with 18 different goalscorers. The team played in a 4–2–3–1 formation throughout the season. Carragher featured in 54 matches, the most of any Liverpool player during the campaign. Along with Reina and Kuyt, he appeared in every Premier League match. Gerrard was the top goalscorer with 24 goals. Lucas was the only player to be sent off during the season—he was shown a red card during Liverpool's replay of their fourth round FA Cup tie with Everton.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games