LIVERPOOL VS SUNDERLAND - Sunday 28th march 16.00 ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby JC_81 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:03 pm

The performance was really good today.

Gerrard alongside Mascherano made a huge difference.  Surely Benitez has to admit defeat in persisting with Lucas in there from now on.  Some will argue that playing two sitting midfielders in there against better opposition is sensible, but is it?  We're still losing big games when those two are sitting, while they offer nothing as a pair in an attacking sense.  Lucas shouldn't be in the side unless Mascherano isn't available, bottom line.

Johnson has added another dimension to our play since his return, Torres is hitting top form, and Gerrard turned in one of his better performances of the season.  Agger was also very effective coming forward and Mascherano was excellent.

For me the only negatives were once again Insua whose lack of gas just frustrates me to watch, likewise Kuyt, who looked knackered from the kickoff and his turn of pace is now completely non-existent.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:11 pm

FAmily matters prevented me from watching the game, I'm off to enjoy it now, for those who couldn't watch it live:

1st half

http://turboshare.com/files....mv.html

2nd half

http://turboshare.com/files....mv.html

There are more quality videos out there, but not as easy to download, pm me if interested.

Come on the reds!! I'll comment later the game!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:24 pm

red37 wrote:The only thing wrong with Babel is, he shares alnost the same miserable expression as Anelka.

Now he aint touching him for ability - but the lad did well today. He does frustrate yer at times with promising moves breaking down/losing possession etc...but he did 'OK' today. As i'm nearly tempted to say, he had the look of a fella who has had a burden lifted from his shoulders.

One thats going to Russia.

So, we'll give the lad a few straight games (If selected that is......) in the side and see if he grabs the chance.

Other than that - they all deserve an ale or two tonight. Even the gaffer.

SCHPOT ON.
LFC2007

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:29 pm

only me wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
The Good Yank wrote:I thought Babel had a good day.  His tracking back in the second half was a breath of fresh air.  He showed a workrate we've rarely seen from him.

It seemed to me, and no doubt many others, that Babel was on his way out BUT I'm now wondering if Babel and Rafa have had a sit down and attempted to sort a few things out.

After his recent his reintroduction to the team Babel has certainly shown more "fight" i.e. a willingness to help out his left back and harry the oppo back into our own half. If Babel can continue to "expand" his game I believe he could become maybe the best left sided player we've had since John Barnes.

From all the players you could have picked......Barnes was one of the most intelligent players playing for liverpool and that's a quality that you can't aquire or "expend"...I have no idea what you people are dreaming of..

Babel has been playing for Liverpool for quite some time now and was given more then his fair share of chances....short memory is a bliss.

John Barnes...oh man....

Short memory ? D'yer remember the expression C'unthooks ? , probably not.

Anyways, if you read between the lines (the ability to read would help) I haven't suggested that Babel is or will ever be as good as John Barnes, what I have said is that "if he continues to expand his game he could be the best left sided player we've had SINCE John Barnes.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:36 pm

only me wrote:
ruskiy playmaker wrote:
only me wrote:Best performance of the season should have trashed them but good result alltogether

Couldn't avoid viewing even in a day as today the hopeless and helpless player which Babel is ,what a waste of space this lad is ,one can only wander what is going inside this guy's head - why he stayed and Riera was shipped....

Great game to count on for Thursday.(Just keep Lucas on the bench).

He was good today.  I dont know which f*cking game you were watching.

same game you were watching just with my eyes open mate.

Babel is a hopeless cause ,lost too many balls ,tried to many times going through players the usual babel :censored:...You just see he has no football brain - total goat .

I thought the lad did alright today and has been for the past couple of months in my opinion. His work rate is far better, he's pressing the ball when we lose it (which is something he never used to do) and while it doesn't always work for him, he's having a go at players which  is VERY important for a team lie ours because Torres aside) Johnson is the only other lad in the side who can beat his man on a regular basis. For me, Babel is important to our run in. Players like Kuyt and Maxi are quite easy to contain where as Babel (at least recently) has his fullback on the back foot, afraid to jump in/get too tight because he has some pace in his locker.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Brilliant performance today and I'm a lot more confident going into the last few games of the season. Was impressed with a lot of players but I though Agger was excellent. So confident on the ball and his distribution today was top drawer, he was going past players and picking passes from the back and it is something we have sorely missed this season. Good to see. 

If we are serious about 4th then I think we all know were Gerrard has to play for the rest of the season. Impressed also today with Babel, he looked confident going forward and deserved a goal

Well done Redmen and well done Rafa
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:38 pm

RedSi35 wrote:People just need to realise how Babel helps the team, sure he doesnt go past 6 players before flumoxing the keeper with astouding skill and belting it into the back of the net.

What he does do though is run at the opposition forcing them to backtrack and cover him with two players. Once they are on the backfoot we have "OPTIONS", now Babel doesnt always choose the best option, but he at least creates some doubt in the opposition that someone may capitalise on.

Ok so he is playing for his world cup place and not necessarily LFC............but who gives a :censored:, if it benefits us then so be it.

Good post mate.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Julio-0 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:48 pm

Torres   :oops:  :bowdown
Julio-0

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:03 pm

OK, I'm getting bored now.

Where are all the posts exclaiming "we were good but everyone knows sunderland are sh'ite and we would have finished in double figures if we had the right manager" :;):

Funny how some regular posts disappear when our performance doesn't gell with their philosophy.

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Maxi MoTM for me.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:10 pm

Julio-0 wrote:Torres   :oops:  :bowdown

Is right. That first one was goal of the season from him today!
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:19 pm

We go from Wigan-like performances where we look totally lost to performances like today's and against Portsmouth where we look like a coordinated unit absolutely determined to get that fourth spot. Bluntly, the absence of Lucas and the marginal role of Kuyt has been the key difference. There are moves that simply wouldn't have happened in either games had we deployed the usual. Kuyt isn't going to make neat little one-twos and slide Gerrard in behind as often as Maxi (or Benayoun), and Lucas isn't going to carry the ball, break into the box and have shots on goal anywhere near as often as Gerrard (or Aquilani). And this we've known for many, many months. Other significant factors are the presence of Johnson and Agger. Both are especially comfortable on the ball and today really prised away at Sunderland in different ways. That takes players out the game and makes it easier for the team to play.
LFC2007

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:29 pm

woof woof ! wrote:OK, I'm getting bored now.

Where are all the posts exclaiming "we were good but everyone knows sunderland are sh'ite and we would have finished in double figures if we had the right manager" :;):

Funny how some regular posts disappear when our performance doesn't gell with their philosophy.

:D

Im here Woof , what more do you need :;):
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Is that really the real SOS on the YouTube ?? Doesn't it make you proud !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Yeah we were good but everyone knows sunderland are sh'ite and we would have finished in double figures if we had the right manager

Or maybe it should be , we were great today and our losses this season wouldn't be in double figures if we had the right manager.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games