Sunderland vs LIVERPOOL : Sunday 29th Sept 2013 : 4pm KO

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby kartiek » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:56 pm

Love Toure, thought Sakho had a very good game, some great interceptions. Skrtel did well too.

Moses really good for us - good possession, and ability to bring the ball from our half all the way up to the final third. Sturridge amazing as usual.

Gerrard and Lucas did most things right. Lucas unlucky to get suspended.

My only problem is Hendo - I expected more from him. I don't think this formation and his position in it suits him whatsoever. He looked tired by the end, and lacked creativity or pace to do anything useful.
kartiek

Postby damjan193 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:57 pm

I thought Sturridge was a selfish striker?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:58 pm

Weird match. Funny how we make even the poorest teams look good. Great to get the 3 points. Play badly and win, the stuff of champions.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:58 pm

kartiek » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:56 pm wrote:Love Toure, thought Sakho had a very good game, some great interceptions. Skrtel did well too.

Moses really good for us - good possession, and ability to bring the ball from our half all the way up to the final third. Sturridge amazing as usual.

My only problem is Hendo - I expected more from him. I don't think this formation and his position in it suits him whatsoever. He looked tired by the end, and lacked creativity or pace to do anything useful.

Henderson is wasted in the wide areas - it's not his game.

But he made a great run for that last goal. His run took away defenders to leave Suarez in space.
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:59 pm

damjan193 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:57 pm wrote:I thought Sturridge was a selfish striker?

I'm sure someone also said he doesn't lift his head up as well
Benny The Noon

Postby Doeboy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:59 pm

Doeboy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:03 pm wrote:Comfortable 3-0/3-1 win for us.

Just as I predicted  :eyebrow
Doeboy

Postby metalhead » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:01 pm

Mignolet - 6 - nervous dealing with crosses, poor for conceding the goal but his distribution ala Reina for the 3rd goal was excellent and of course his save in the first half.
Kolo Toure - 8 - He is boss end off
Sakhou - 6 - nothing special, barely troubled, did ok.
Skrtel - 6 - should have done better closing his feet, passing was awkward but did okay in general
Enrique - 6 - I thought it wasn't his best games, forced too many errors, but generally did well going forward.
Gerrard - 7 - good game from the captain and his pass to Sturridge was world class.
Lucas - 6 - decent, intercepted well in the first half but did nothing else and offered nothing else
Henderson - 4 - Poor overall, his first touch was awful, his end product was awful and couldn't get any of his crosses in. No influence on the game whatsoever.
Moses - 4 - Same as Henderson, dallied with the ball way too much and ends up losing it, looked to me he was very selfish and showed no game intelligence.
Sturridge - 8 - 2 assists and a goal, what more do you need, fantastic game.
Suarez - 8 - HE IS BACK!

Subs
Sterling - 6 - did ok

All in all good win, Sunderland are just shyte, but 3 points in the bag and 2nd in the league!!!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:02 pm

kartiek » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:56 am wrote:Love Toure, thought Sakho had a very good game, some great interceptions. Skrtel did well too.

I thought Toure and Sakho were pretty good as well but have to disagree with you on the rest. I thought Lucas and Gerrard were completely anonymous way too often. A lot of pressure on our back, and you could see Enrique getting frustrated and passing it back because nothing was available in the middle. I also thought Hendo had a really good game. Winning everything and bossing the line, his only issue for me is his ability to cross the ball.

Once again, we hold the ball in the back way too much, and that's where all our issues come from. It's shocking how often we give the ball away in the back, and that's beginning to cause us a lot of problems. I've got to say Mignolet is a great shot stopper, but his flaws are killing us. He struggles to palm the ball outward, and instead puts it right back in play. He also allows pressure on himself and his defenders because teams know to close him down and they'll get the ball right back. However, his quick play to get on the counter for the third was great, that's how we need to play when our keeper gets the ball.

Sturridge and Suarez were great together, and I thought Hendo and Moses both played pretty well today as well. Enrique was decent as well, so really it seems the problem lies in the center of the park. Our weak central duo put a lot of pressure on our back, and give way too much possession to a team like Sunderland.

Will say that's one of the better second halves we've had.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby maguskwt » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Finally we finished stronger in the 2nd half than the 1st half. It's good to see the team respond positively to conceding a goal. Our passing seems quite awful in the first half and the second half before we conceded, but improved towards the end.

Sturridge MOM deserved. 1 goal and 2 assists... you can see BR had moved Henderson was to the middle to help out Gerrard and Lucas who were again tiring... and worked to a certain extent.

I don't like at all how we continue to pass at the back and being closed down by Sunderland. Alot of unnecessary passing at the back. We paid for it against Southampton... but 3-1 away win, you can't complain... and 2nd in the table... not bad at all!  :buttrock
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:04 pm

Sturridge was the difference between the two teams for me

Lucky for the first but great work for the other two. Lovely ball from Gerrard for the second
Benny The Noon

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:05 pm

Glad we go above Totsh1te. Now lets get to the top and stay there

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Boocity » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:25 pm

metalhead » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:01 pm wrote:Mignolet - 6 - nervous dealing with crosses, poor for conceding the goal but his distribution ala Reina for the 3rd goal was excellent and of course his save in the first half.
Kolo Toure - 8 - He is boss end off
Sakhou - 6 - nothing special, barely troubled, did ok.
Skrtel - 6 - should have done better closing his feet, passing was awkward but did okay in general
Enrique - 6 - I thought it wasn't his best games, forced too many errors, but generally did well going forward.
Gerrard - 7 - good game from the captain and his pass to Sturridge was world class.
Lucas - 6 - decent, intercepted well in the first half but did nothing else and offered nothing else
Henderson - 4 - Poor overall, his first touch was awful, his end product was awful and couldn't get any of his crosses in. No influence on the game whatsoever.
Moses - 4 - Same as Henderson, dallied with the ball way too much and ends up losing it, looked to me he was very selfish and showed no game intelligence.
Sturridge - 8 - 2 assists and a goal, what more do you need, fantastic game.
Suarez - 8 - HE IS BACK!

Subs
Sterling - 6 - did ok

All in all good win, Sunderland are just shyte, but 3 points in the bag and 2nd in the league!!!

Don't agree with your marks for Moses and Lucas MH, I would have given moses the 6 I thought he played well up until he came off. Lucas I would have given the 4 mainly for his 2nd half display, gives too many stupid free kicks away and just goes missing after half time
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:28 pm

I honestly expected a better performance against this lot but the result is good so I guess I can't complain.

I think that it's getting more and more obvious that our midfield is a big problem. The defense looked solid and did it's job. Skrtel was a bit shaky but Sakho and especially Toure did great. Gerrard contributed a lot to the two goals but did nothing apart from that. Lucas on the other hand, had a few good tackles and interceptions but I don't feel he played well. It's like his tackles are sometimes meaningless and not contributing a lot.

Suarez had a fantastic league debut this season obviously, while Sturridge showed that he has more than just scoring goals (which I personally had no doubt). Moses was average, number 10 isn't his position. Henderson was horrible. I expected him to do better at that position but obviously he's best suited in central midfield. He'll have his chance to show that now since Lucas is suspended.
Last edited by damjan193 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:29 pm

I'm I right, Lucas misses our next game because due to the amount of yellow cards he's picked up (already  :no )?

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby parchpea » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:32 pm

You can look at this two ways and that's we are getting lucky with poor performances and narrow wins, or that if we can
play average and win the best is yet to come.

Considering we have changed the system and introduced new players our position is very good, and Rodgers has shown us
tactical flexibility this year rather than sticking to his much touted football philosophy.

Sunderland are a poor side but we have continuously lost these games in the past and recent results in the division prove
there are no walk overs.

Lucas missing against Palace is a plus for me, and another poor effort today from him. Nice lad but not good enough now.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games