LIVERPOOL VS NEWCASTLE - All discussion here please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tel » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:19 am

stu_the_red wrote:
dawson99 wrote:that is well thought out stu, but i wonder where u got your stats from? personal opinion?
thats all well and good, thats the whole point of football, personal opinion. Thats why chelski prefer lamps and we prefer gerrard. We may prefer fowler because we were not happy with owens exit.

The one fact i do know is that the person fowler was alot more interesting than the person owen. and that adds a lot to legend status.

Also we all know that barring injury fowler was the best finisher we had. And when he first linked up with rushie it was a truly magificent sight to see.

Personally i woulda liked to see them play together, but that will never happen. Personlly i prefer fowler, but im not gonna get into a pi$$ing contest over it

Owen and Fowler disliked each other.

The two of them couldn't remain professional so something had to give. The better player stayed.

The two of them could have and should have been the strike partnership this club had ever seen. They should have been better than Rush and Dalglish. They had the ability. I don't give a :censored: what anyone says, they could have been better and its a crime that they weren't.

The management as well as the players were to blame.

Saying that brings your football knowledge into question. Dalglish/Rush is not just the best partnership in English football, but the best in the world for mine.

You either dont know your football or you never saw them play together.

Ian Rush was the deadliest finisher in football. Dalglish was the best all round player in his day.

Nothing compares
tel

Postby Alanay » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:22 am

Agreed with many here. Rush and Daglish are all time heroes....
Alanay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:18 am

Michael Owen insists he is relishing the prospect of playing against former club Liverpool.

The Newcastle striker will make his first return to Anfield since leaving The Reds for Real Madrid in 2004 when the sides meet on Boxing Day, and is looking forward to the experience.

"Obviously when I knew I was coming back to The Premiership, you always think it will be strange to go back to your own club, and no doubt it will be when it comes," he said.

"I have a picture in my mind of what it will be like, but it will be very exciting to see a lot of old friends.

"It will be a strange one because I never really thought I'd leave Liverpool."

Owen is adamant that he made the right decision when he chose to join Newcastle, and believes that The Magpies can put their stuttering start to the season behind them and go on to have a successful campaign.

"I wouldn't have signed a contract here if I didn't think it was a good place to be. I'm very pleased with my decision and I'm delighted with how everything is going at Newcastle," he remarked.

"If we can keep improving and keep winning games, I'm sure this will be a very exciting place to play.

"We have been unfortunate with injuries, but if we can keep everyone fit, then I think we will win more games than we lose."

Owen is a true professional therefore will want nothing less than scoring goals against us and helping his team  (Newcastle) win. He does not deserve to get jeered, and he does not deserve to get a hero's welcome.

I do not think any Liverpool supporter should cheer a man who's first priority is to ensure Liverpool lose on Boxing Day. The hero's welcome should be reserved for the day he wears the red shirt again (if ever).
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:25 am

This thread is getting funny
The word Legend, is Owen a Legend or not
Well this forum is making him a legend coz everyone here is talking about him.
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby darwisigila » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:05 am

OK...HE'S NOT A LEGEND FOR ME
darwisigila

Postby azriahmad » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:09 am

Maybe we should not cheer him too enthusiastically, but then, we should not boo him either because of his past deeds for us, as he has been magnificent in his efforts for us in the past.

I wish him well and I hope he scores loads for Newcastle but I hope more that Carra & Co will shackle him when we meet and beat Newcastle.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:17 am

tel wrote:
neil wrote:Legend ???  lets not over-egg this appraisel. He was a very good player for us, during sporadic periods, that is all. legend ?   :no

That's exactly what he was.

Gets right up me when ppl call him a legend. Rush was a legend. Dalglish was a legend.

Owen never won us the double, nor the European Cup.

So if we hadn't of won the European cup last year, would you of said that Gerrard wasn't a legend? Owen may not of won a league title or a european cup but he did single handedly win a FA Cup and played a massive part in winning a UEFA Cup, which at the time was the start of the new Liverpool era.

No real fan can deny Owens class and although his mistake was to leave Liverpool no-one can deny the he gave alot to the club. I will go as far as saying that he'll return to the club within the next 2 seasons. I think Newcastle was a stop-gap to guarantee World Cup football, if he'd bveen playing regularly at Madrid he'd still be there.

Any fan of Liverpool Football Club and there history will applaud Owen when he runs out, any fan who doesn't should take there head out of there own @rse and support the bitter bluenoses. There is no reason to be bitter about a player who gave alot to the club
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:08 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I think Newcastle was a stop-gap to guarantee World Cup football, if he'd bveen playing regularly at Madrid he'd still be there.

There is no reason to be bitter about a player who gave alot to the club

A; no s.hit.sherlock
B; where exactly do I appear "bitter" in my quote?
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:22 am

not necessarily you being bitter but other idiots saying they'll boo him.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:39 pm

I think it will be a tough match but we have the quality and momentum in our favour right now to push on and get the three points.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clint » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:50 pm

i think fowler was much better than owen, owen was great but i still think he was a little overated. the only thing owen had over fowler was pace. but i dont think we should boo him we are bigger than that
clint

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:50 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
tel wrote:
neil wrote:Legend ???  lets not over-egg this appraisel. He was a very good player for us, during sporadic periods, that is all. legend ?   :no

That's exactly what he was.

Gets right up me when ppl call him a legend. Rush was a legend. Dalglish was a legend.

Owen never won us the double, nor the European Cup.

So if we hadn't of won the European cup last year, would you of said that Gerrard wasn't a legend? Owen may not of won a league title or a european cup but he did single handedly win a FA Cup and played a massive part in winning a UEFA Cup, which at the time was the start of the new Liverpool era.

No real fan can deny Owens class and although his mistake was to leave Liverpool no-one can deny the he gave alot to the club. I will go as far as saying that he'll return to the club within the next 2 seasons. I think Newcastle was a stop-gap to guarantee World Cup football, if he'd bveen playing regularly at Madrid he'd still be there.

Any fan of Liverpool Football Club and there history will applaud Owen when he runs out, any fan who doesn't should take there head out of there own @rse and support the bitter bluenoses. There is no reason to be bitter about a player who gave alot to the club

I think that post is pretty much spot on mate.

I can see why people are upset about how he left, but we should all get over that fact now.

I think he is a club legend despite what others think.

What determines a legend anyway ?

Medals, loyalty, ability or records ?

Imo a bit of all of them, but if anyone thinks that in 20 years time that Michael Owen wont be looked upon as an LFC legend, i think they are wrong.

Like Southcoastshankly i wouldnt be surprised to see him back at the club within 2 seasons.

Anyone thinking of booing him, i hope changes there mind, and gives him a decent (but not over the top) reception.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:52 pm

clint wrote:i think fowler was much better than owen, owen was great but i still think he was a little overated. the only thing owen had over fowler was pace. but i dont think we should boo him we are bigger than that

All about opinions with Fowler and Owen, Fowler at his best scoring 30-odd goals a season was unbelievable, and we as Liverpool fans are priveledged to have had both playing for our club.

Owen overatted ?

30-odd goals for England disagrees with you mate.

He is proven at every level.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:02 pm

in an ideal world, owen and fowler from 1998 onwards should have been the best striking partnership in europe. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:06 pm

I've prob already said this, but considering we are playing a souness team, they will obviously use rough-house tactics to try an unnerve our players. In the centre of the park in particular, we need a bit of steel. Such a shame there is no momo 'cos i would be tempted in pairing him with hamann and let Gerrard, Kewell an Riise do the damage from the wings.

However, considering that this is not a possibilty I would deffo have Hamann paired with Alonso in the centre for this one. Crouch upfront is a must allowing either cisse or Garcia to benefit from the knock downs.

In my heart of hearts, our team looks far too strong on paper. Watch out for Scott Parker though as he will most definately be the epicentre of the Geordie attack. Hamann and Alonso should take care of that.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion