LIVERPOOL vs NEWCASTLE: 08/03/08 - 3pm - Build up and Match Discussion.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Red H » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:23 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:It's odd.

We are only ten points behind Arsenal.

We've drawn eleven games.

If we were able to just turn three of those draws into wins, we would be so much closer.

Which suggests that we are not light years away from the "top three".

But far closer than we may think.

I love this optimism :)
Red H

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:30 pm

What i don't want now is for us to let up in the league , were only in 2 comps now ,so in theory with rafa rotating so much this season . Our best players should be able to play in every match (barring injuries and suspensions) for the rest of the season . Lets give it a real go in the league and see if we can win all our games during the run in . Whilst obviously doing the same in the champions league. I think third place is a definate possibilty now and if the 2 above chelsea stumble we might be close enough to put a bit more pressure on . I personally think Arsenal are feeling the pressure and maybe just maybe the mancs might be concentrating on the champions league to much (what with all the rotating fergies doing ,aye Bigmick).
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:37 pm

Talk of the title for us this season is ridiculous.

We'll still have our work cut out to finish 4th unfortunately.  Everton are on a roll and we have the derby game sandwiched in between away games against Arsenal and United.  Even coming through those games unbeaten may not be enough to stop Everton taking us over, we simply must beat them at Anfield.  Even looking further to the end of the season, we're away to a resurgent Spurs, while Everton have an easier home game I think.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:43 pm

I wasn't saying that we can do it, I was trying to see what was MORE unlikely, us winning all of our games, or the eventual champions finishing with 83 points or less
JoeTerp

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:48 pm

john craig wrote:Talk of the title for us this season is ridiculous.

We'll still have our work cut out to finish 4th unfortunately.  Everton are on a roll and we have the derby game sandwiched in between away games against Arsenal and United.  Even coming through those games unbeaten may not be enough to stop Everton taking us over, we simply must beat them at Anfield.  Even looking further to the end of the season, we're away to a resurgent Spurs, while Everton have an easier home game I think.

Wasn't talking about winning the title really john , more about just not letting up in the league and see what happens.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:59 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
john craig wrote:Talk of the title for us this season is ridiculous.

Wasn't talking about winning the title really john , more about just not letting up in the league and see what happens.

Absolutely mate.

By all means we should give it our best shot and play our strongest team.  And you never know, there is always the chance that one of the teams ahead of us will collapse and allow us to catch them, but I think that is unlikely and certainly all three won't drop enough points for us to catch them.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I am actually a bit worried we might not get 4th, simply because Everton are playing above themselves at the moment and we have the harder run in.  For that reason I'm in complete agreement with you about not letting up in the league - we can't.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:32 pm

they play chelsea(h), we play United(a)

we both play each other and Arsenal (a), Birmingham (a) and Fulham (a)

They get Villa(h), we get Blackburn(h).

They other two games are West Ham(h) and Newcastle(h). Our other two are City(h) and Spurs (a)

they have 5 home and 4 road tests left, while we have 4 home and 5 road. After this weekend's reading clash the remaining home games are Everton, Blackburn and City, and the road trips aren't any easier because we have to go to Old Trafford and the Emirates.

I hope that Newcastle fall into the relegation zone, and then find some form at the end of the season when they play Everton, while Spurs will find themselves mathematically out of even the intertoto.  Also, West Ham need to stop loosing all their games 4-0, its happened three times in a row!
JoeTerp

Postby KennyisGod....still » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:53 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I hope that Newcastle fall into the relegation zone, and then find some form at the end of the season when they play Everton, while Spurs will find themselves mathematically out of even the intertoto.  Also, West Ham need to stop loosing all their games 4-0, its happened three times in a row!

May end up to our good fortune that spurs dont need the intertotem pole cuz they took the carling pint glass!! Jus heard on MOTD they've got the best home scorin record in the premiership, which i mus say came as a bit of a shock.

Add to that i fancy us t score anywhere jus now, and the San Siro wud be a good place to continue this little run, and then keep it goin til the end of the game at WHL.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redrover » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:45 am

do most lads put our recent great form down to the players being fresher or is it just that the team is more settled.? im stuck between thinking its the latter and am annoyed at rafa for not settling on his best team sooner. then part of me thinks maybe its because of his rotation policy that we are fresher in the run in, and that if we had a better squad the rotation thing would have worked great. thats how he did it in spain. so if thats correct ,then if he brings in some more quality in the summer ,and the squad is stronger in depth it could really work next year ???? ???? ???? hmmm now i might have to admit i was wrong to call for his head. feck that ,hope we lose all our matches from now till the end of the season ,and ill be proved right for wanting him out. problem solved :D
shamrock rovers and liverpool are not a matter of life and death to me. they are much more important than that.
redrover

Postby zarababe » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:06 am

10 pts behind - potentially 11 behind if mancs win game in hand - not looking so bad - with vital games to come the season holds some fascinating scenarios !

GET IN RAFA'S REDs !
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby radun5 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:25 am

JoeTerp wrote:I hope that Newcastle fall into the relegation zone, and then find some form at the end of the season when they play Everton, while Spurs will find themselves mathematically out of even the intertoto.  Also, West Ham need to stop loosing all their games 4-0, its happened three times in a row!

Spurs are already in the UEFA Cup, as they won the League Cup. So there you are, one wish granted ! :D
radun5

Postby heimdall » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:26 pm

redrover wrote:do most lads put our recent great form down to the players being fresher or is it just that the team is more settled.? im stuck between thinking its the latter and am annoyed at rafa for not settling on his best team sooner. then part of me thinks maybe its because of his rotation policy that we are fresher in the run in, and that if we had a better squad the rotation thing would have worked great. thats how he did it in spain. so if thats correct ,then if he brings in some more quality in the summer ,and the squad is stronger in depth it could really work next year ???? ???? ???? hmmm now i might have to admit i was wrong to call for his head. feck that ,hope we lose all our matches from now till the end of the season ,and ill be proved right for wanting him out. problem solved :D

I agree it's bloody annoying but this is what myself and many others have been saying for a while, i.e that we have a good enough team as long as Rafa stops p1ssing about with rotating the squad and formation.
The freshness argument doesn't work for me, I mean just look at Everton, why are they able to play so well at the moment as they certainly haven't been rotating and have had just as many games as us.
I am delighted with our current form but unless Rafa promises to stop rotating next season I still want him out in the summer, even if we win the champions league.
heimdall

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:52 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Does anyone think we still have a shot at the title? or is that me being happy clappy again, i think i am , you never know though do yer.

I'm willing us to win the league even more now, I've been promised a dozen pints off Con'Ovar if we do win it.

In Rafa I Surely Trust Now  :D
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:20 pm

According to Manhattan's sources, Kevin Keegan will strengthen his squad in the summer.

When asked for a comment regarding the matter, Keegan says he will sign David Ginola, Les Ferdinand, David Batty, Barry Venison, Peter Beardsley, and Warren Barton.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion