BIRMINGHAM VS LIVERPOOL - All discussion here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:30 am

I'm sure you've all heard Sissoko is out for this match.  He didn't start against Manchester United anyway and we only brought him on late in the second half, but the general consensus up to now has the fact we bought him for away fixtures where we will need to pick up points. 

Up to now, I'm not sure I agree with that.  Obviously with the class Gerrard and Alonso display consistently, they must start games, but Sissoko has done more than enough to warrant a starting place whenever he wants one in my opinion, be it home or away.  He has been a revelation in the few games I have seen him.

I think it's fair to say though that Gerrard and Alonso should start tomorrow.  We all remember what happened last season and we can't afford a repeat.  We need to win.  Benitez will decide after today's training sessions whether Morientes will make the squad.
jonnymac1979

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:41 am

I didn't know Sissoko was injured, i havent been on the official site today.
That is a blow even if he wasnt to start he is a valuable player who can come on and shut up shop if we have a slender lead.
Having said that with Alonso Gerrard and Hamann we still have a world class midfield who hopefully should be on there game and dominate posession.
I hope he starts Cisse as well.
Alot might disagree and i take on board all the criticism about his attitude and work rate.
I just think that he offers an outlet and a different option, i would like to see him and Crouch together and really have a go at them.
We need the win and have the players to go there and boss the game...the less said about last seasons game the better.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:50 am

Agreed, we definitely need to win, but I doubt Morrientes will play a big part in the game, even if he's fit

I'd be the first to admit I'm not the tactician that some on this site are.  But why can't we play the 3 of them - Sissoko - Gerrard - Alonso?  Would this not allow Stevie the freedom to be more of an attacking midfield player, with Alonso holding back, and Sissoko mopping up?
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:59 am

I'm a bit anxious about the game 2moro, 2 reasons really.

1) Birmingham has never been a happy hunting ground for us, one of those mid-tables clubs who always get points against Liverpool. Not sure whether Heskey is playing??

2) We're on Prem Plus. For those of us who can't get to every home game we use Sky and well its all fine and dandy when we are shown on regular Sky channels, as soon as you dip into your pocket to see the reds on Prem Plus we lose. Definitely a curse

:D
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:02 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I'm a bit anxious about the game 2moro, 2 reasons really.

1) Birmingham has never been a happy hunting ground for us, one of those mid-tables clubs who always get points against Liverpool. Not sure whether Heskey is playing??

2) We're on Prem Plus. For those of us who can't get to every home game we use Sky and well its all fine and dandy when we are shown on regular Sky channels, as soon as you dip into your pocket to see the reds on Prem Plus we lose. Definitely a curse

:D

nothing other than a win is acceptable in this game, especially with chelsea up next.

however if we play one upfront (which we probably will) i fear it will be yet another thrilling 0-0 draw. :(

we need to be positive. our strikers need goals. play two up and let birmingham worry about us.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:04 pm

All in all i'm quite positive about the game :D
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:07 pm

We should this one quite comfortably....am in no doubt that we will control the game but we need to find goals so a reckon we play crouch and cisse up front together.
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:07 pm

EDIT
Last edited by Gareth G on Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:08 pm

With the injuries that Birmingham have in the midfield positions we should (!!!!) be able to play 2 up front!
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:20 pm

Assuming that the likes of Sissoko and Morientes will not be available for the Brum game:

My team to start the game (4-4-2):

Reina

Finnan  Carragher  Hyypia  Traore

Pongolle  Hamann  Gerrard  Riise

Crouch  Cisse

SUBS: Carson, Garcia, Alonso, Zenden, Josemi.

And the Chelsea game in midweek (could be percieved as 4-5-1 as well as 4-3-3):

Reina

Finnan  Carragher  Hyypia  Warnock

Garcia  Sissoko  Alonso  Gerrard  Zenden

Crouch

SUBS: Carson, Morientes, Riise, Hamann, Cisse, Sinama Pongolle, Josemi.

Chelsea game in the next weekend:

Reina

Finnan  Carragher  Hyypia  Warnock

Pongolle  Sissoko  Gerrard  Riise

Morientes  Cisse

SUBS: Carson, Garcia, Traore, Alonso, Crouch.
Last edited by MilitiaRusher on Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:29 pm

nah...Pongolle only seems to be used when we pack the midfield and use a lone striker.

I think your more likely to see:

Garcia   Gerrard  Alonso  Risse

and hopefully....

Crouch     Cisse

:)
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:42 pm

I like the idea that one of the members said about starting with hamann. With someone as solid as him in the team, you don't really need a 4-5-1, not like I think we should play with it anyway.

In putting Hamann there, it will allow the likes of Gerrard, Garcia and Riise to get forward more.

Oh yeah, also i would be a bit more adventurous up front and put Sinama (craig david) Pongolle up front alongside cisse as they seemed to combine well when we were over in the USA in pre season last year.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AlanHansen » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:49 pm

hawkmoon269 wrote:Agreed, we definitely need to win, but I doubt Morrientes will play a big part in the game, even if he's fit

I'd be the first to admit I'm not the tactician that some on this site are.  But why can't we play the 3 of them - Sissoko - Gerrard - Alonso?  Would this not allow Stevie the freedom to be more of an attacking midfield player, with Alonso holding back, and Sissoko mopping up?

I think Gerrards natural game is coming from deep, driving the team forward, he isn't a classic creative player, he can't get past people for one.

Brum have been average this year, we should be winning these sort of games.
AlanHansen

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:23 pm

AlanHansen wrote:
hawkmoon269 wrote:Agreed, we definitely need to win, but I doubt Morrientes will play a big part in the game, even if he's fit

I think Gerrards natural game is coming from deep, driving the team forward, he isn't a classic creative player, he can't get past people for one.

Brum have been average this year, we should be winning these sort of games.

Gerrard does like coming from deep, it means he doesn't get picked up, but to say that he cant go past players is wrong.
He is not exactly Maradona-like but he can beat his man with pace and often does in one on one situations.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby teamleader1 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:33 pm

H_K_LFC wrote:We should this one quite comfortably....am in no doubt that we will control the game but we need to find goals so a reckon we play crouch and cisse up front together.

I agree- but ive a feeling that nando will get the nod with cisse taking over early second half
I would like to see how nando and crouch work together with gerrard RM risse LM with haman & alonso central
                   reinna
        finnan- jc-sami-warnock

I feel that this would give us a very strong MF capable of playing to the forwards strengths

2-0 win for me
teamleader1

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion