LIVERPOOL vs NEWCASTLE: 08/03/08 - 3pm - Build up and Match Discussion.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:03 pm

Manhattan just noticed that Newcastle have two seahorses on their badge.

That doesn't seem right.

If they want a true reflection of Tyneside, then the badge should have Jimmy Five-Stomachs on one side and a toothless barmaid with tattoos on her breasts on the other.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:15 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Does anyone think we still have a shot at the title? or is that me being happy clappy again, i think i am , you never know tough do yer.

Personally Igor, I think we can the league until it's mathamatically impossible. I know I've been one of the more vocal posters about our league form, certain players and manager. But I'm not affraid to praise people when they play well.

Our league form has picked up, thanks to a settled system (even if not players yet) and players refinding form (Alonso mainly).

Players who I've criticised mainly are Kuyt and Aurellio but both have scored during this little run and the point of football is to score one more than your opponent, so I'm happy with whoever scores for Liverpool.

The manager must take the MAJORITY of praise though. He's found something that works and at long last he's stuck with it. His method of resting players is paying off now as we're looking fresher than any other side. Of course it's the resting of players IMO why the league is 9 points away but those games have gone and can't do anything about them now.

Likewise, the five games we've won on the trot have now gone though, so we can't lick the team's :censored: to much because this run is pointless come Inter. That's a new game that we have to treat with respect and not say "oh well it's one defeat, but at least we've been playing well of late". Fans, players and coaching staff alike can take heart from this run, but not live off it for the next few games. We have to keep it up. I'm not one who'll be saying "we've only played Bolton, Boro, West Ham and Newcastle" because Bolton and West Ham both beat United whereas Boro and Newcastle held Arsenal to draws, so it's still hard to beat sides and for that the lads deserve credit. Fair play to them, but they can't get to carried away with a little string of good results.

But I've waffled on here and went off your question...so yes I do think we have a shot at the league, but that's because it's not mathamatically impossible. I thought we had a shot at the league back in mid January when we were nearly 20 points behind, even if my posts back then were critical and negative, my heart always thinks we're in with a shout.

Credit where it's due...good post.  :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:27 am

BTW- Manhattan should mention that Pennant totally meant to score that goal.

Amazing skill.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:25 am

Bad Bob wrote:Lucas, for me, seems to have plateaued a little bit at this stage.  That's not to say he'll never get any better--it's to say that he's in a bit of a lull at the moment, with his touch and distribution letting him down. 

I think it was he who initiated the move forward that led to the first goal (it was an immensely lucky goal, but a well worked move nonetheless), he opted for the forward pass to Torres when there weren't many other options on. He's an interplay merchant and I think he has an eye for it, spotting little one-twos and moves in tight spaces that could progress into something more threatening. It's an inevitability for someone so young, and whose game is all about vision, that he'll make the odd misplaced pass. These judgements will improve in time, but on the whole I think he's been fairly consistent and often his work will go unnoticed. Players who can make the forward pass quickly and spot the play progressing, as he does, are rare to find. He reminds me of Scholes a little bit.
LFC2007

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:30 am

Bad Bob wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Does anyone think we still have a shot at the title? or is that me being happy clappy again, i think i am , you never know tough do yer.

Personally Igor, I think we can the league until it's mathamatically impossible. I know I've been one of the more vocal posters about our league form, certain players and manager. But I'm not affraid to praise people when they play well.

Our league form has picked up, thanks to a settled system (even if not players yet) and players refinding form (Alonso mainly).

Players who I've criticised mainly are Kuyt and Aurellio but both have scored during this little run and the point of football is to score one more than your opponent, so I'm happy with whoever scores for Liverpool.

The manager must take the MAJORITY of praise though. He's found something that works and at long last he's stuck with it. His method of resting players is paying off now as we're looking fresher than any other side. Of course it's the resting of players IMO why the league is 9 points away but those games have gone and can't do anything about them now.

Likewise, the five games we've won on the trot have now gone though, so we can't lick the team's :censored: to much because this run is pointless come Inter. That's a new game that we have to treat with respect and not say "oh well it's one defeat, but at least we've been playing well of late". Fans, players and coaching staff alike can take heart from this run, but not live off it for the next few games. We have to keep it up. I'm not one who'll be saying "we've only played Bolton, Boro, West Ham and Newcastle" because Bolton and West Ham both beat United whereas Boro and Newcastle held Arsenal to draws, so it's still hard to beat sides and for that the lads deserve credit. Fair play to them, but they can't get to carried away with a little string of good results.

But I've waffled on here and went off your question...so yes I do think we have a shot at the league, but that's because it's not mathamatically impossible. I thought we had a shot at the league back in mid January when we were nearly 20 points behind, even if my posts back then were critical and negative, my heart always thinks we're in with a shout.

Credit where it's due...good post.  :nod

shove your credit you power hungry milk monitor  :laugh:

Nah cheers mate, it's always good when we can discuss matters properly, rather than go into slanging wars. I'll try and keep me posts to this sort of level, but no promises.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:42 am

I think Lucas could benefit from a summer of focusing on improving his pace and power. I think he is starting to get the idea of how its done in the prem, but if ever got within the same zip code of Gerrard's pace and power, he would be LETHAL.  I know thats not really his game or whatever, but sometimes it looks like he hops from space to space like he has weights on his ankles.

GBJH - if we take full points the rest of the season we will finish on 83 points. Arsenal would have to pick up less than 18 points from their remaining 10 games (9 if you include the fact that the scenario depends on us beating them). So if Arsenal average 2 points a game in all their remaining fixtures (win, draw, win, draw, win draw, etc) then we will tie them and it will come down to goal difference. Oh and we would have to hope for united to go on with the same pace, and hope chelsea don't also win out.  Just putting in perspective all the things that need to happen for the league to come our way this year.   :(
JoeTerp

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:45 am

JoeTerp wrote:GBJH - if we take full points the rest of the season we will finish on 83 points. Arsenal would have to pick up less than 18 points from their remaining 10 games (9 if you include the fact that the scenario depends on us beating them). So if Arsenal average 2 points a game in all their remaining fixtures (win, draw, win, draw, win draw, etc) then we will tie them and it will come down to goal difference. Oh and we would have to hope for united to go on with the same pace, and hope chelsea don't also win out.  Just putting in perspective all the things that need to happen for the league to come our way this year.   :(

Is it MATHAMATICALLY impossible yet? No...therefore I will have hope.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:04 am

JoeTerp wrote:GBJH - if we take full points the rest of the season we will finish on 83 points. Arsenal would have to pick up less than 18 points from their remaining 10 games (9 if you include the fact that the scenario depends on us beating them). So if Arsenal average 2 points a game in all their remaining fixtures (win, draw, win, draw, win draw, etc) then we will tie them and it will come down to goal difference. Oh and we would have to hope for united to go on with the same pace, and hope chelsea don't also win out.  Just putting in perspective all the things that need to happen for the league to come our way this year.   :(

???  Well you've clearly already ruled out the possibility of a mysterious stomach bug hitting all three teams in the final weeks of the season, that's a careless oversight Joe :no

I know a chef of a chef of a chef who works in London Colney, Uncle Chef, I'll put a word in   :D
LFC2007

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:14 am

:laugh:

Sorry I had to get that out of my system, LFC2007 sig is f.ucking tacky and makes this place look like step toes yard. :D
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:42 am

I'm well chuffed with our last five results before the Inter game if you asked me if we'd win our next five games I would of said NO, more like draw three of them and scrape the other two. It seems to me the Inter game has bred some much needed confidence back into the side. Although the stuttering performance after that against Boro would of had you believed otherwise.

The games against Bolton, West Ham and Newcastle IMO were convincing wins, the formation that Rafa has changed to is reeping the rewards. Maybe Rafa thought changing the formation might help us perform and play that little bit better. Fair play to him because it has worked.

I've watched the players playing in this system, and three players to my mind have done well or if not better with this formation change. Kuyt, Gerrard and Babel. Please dont get me wrong here as I am not backtracking on my own thoughts of Kuyt, he isnt good enough for us to be playing regular football. But since Rafa has shifted him wide I think his work rate which tbf is his only real attribute has served him better out wide. To be frank Kuyt was a burden on the side when playing upfront with Torres or whoever, at times it was like playing with 10 men. But since Kuyt has shifted he can make room for players who can actually damage teams be scoring goals do their job. And while he still has that great work ethic he'd be more suited to running the side line and even getting into a few tackles aswell, his crosses arent that bad either, and while he's no Ronaldo withh the ball at his feet, and cannot take a player on to save his life hes a decent stop gap there I feel.
Babel who is quite the opposite is starting to show promise and in this position where he is pushed higher up the field and narrower definately looks a genuine threat, he's quick, direct has a bit of skill and posses a ferocious shot. Him and Gerrard link up well at times to which is good to see.

Speaking of link up play obviously the best link up play we have is the Gerrard/Torres partnership. Two World class players playing the game to devastating affect. Its great to watch these two combine, even for a neutral its educational football at its brilliance.

I did have my doubts about Rafas formation after the Bolton game though, and this was soley because we were unable to get Torres in the game atall. Thats the only worry for me about this formation, especially playing away from home and as Bolton were pinning us back inside our own half, with Gerrard roaming defensively we were unable to get any support near Torres at times. It looks a good formation when we're on the front foot and have the impetus like we did against West Ham and Newcastle, but against someone like Inter Milan away at the San Siro who will have the impetus and momentum with them as they go on and search for goals, this is where I fear Torres will c\become isolated. Plus the Italian teams are very good at snuffing out strikers and attacks it will be a lot harder for Torres if Rafa decides to go with that formation against the Italians.

As for the game yesterday I thought most of our players had a decent or good game, and its good to see we've hit a winning streak, may it continue further on.
66-1112520797

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:48 am

Emerald Red wrote:Amazing how there just doesn't seem to be as many moaning c*nts coming out of the woodwork lately with their knives sharpened. I mean, come on - you were all Liverpool supporters, right? So where are you now? Why not come out of the woodwork when we are playing well?

Sad c*nts!

you just answered ur own questioned why shud the team and manager be criticized when they put in a good performance?
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:41 am

Another prefect example of our season - we're either winning easily or not winning at all. We lose at home to Barnsley, beat Inter in the CL. But the best stat is that we've won SIXTEEN games by scoring three or more and in contrast we've failed to win TWENTY games. So only nine games out of 45 have been won by scoring twice, not helped by Torres who scores a lot of goals but has also failed to score in 18 games and when he doesn't score we can be left scratching around for goals.

But it was a good win, I figure a fluke is the likeliest source of a goal from Pennant. Torres and Gerrard worked well together, but are we not becoming a tad over-reliant on these two? No matter what happens between now and the summer we need at least two new strikers and to sort out the wide players. There are comparisons you can draw between us and the mancs, Gerrard against Ronaldo, Torres against Rooney, but then you quite rapidly run out of further fair comparisons in the attacking areas ie they have plenty of effective attackers, we don't
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:13 am

how good are stevie and torres together?
fecking awesome, and both look like they are enjoying [playing, which is just as important. the futures bright guys.

class match yesterday, the second goal was just absolute genius
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:03 pm

dawson99 wrote:how good are stevie and torres together?
fecking awesome, and both look like they are enjoying [playing, which is just as important. the futures bright guys.

class match yesterday, the second goal was just absolute genius

Their partnership is starting to resemble that of Dalglish and Rush....

Sounds good for the future  :buttrock
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Does anyone think we still have a shot at the title? or is that me being happy clappy again, i think i am , you never know though do yer.

TBH no, I doubt we have a chance.......but with manure and the ar$e to play, and with them havin themselves and cheatski to play.....who knows? Stranger things have happened, but that would be even more a miracle than Istanbul 2005.

I asked a few weeks ago for players to show more passion, to wanna win. I wanted them to stand up and take responsibility for what happens once they cross that touchline. Well, whatevers happened, they seem to be doin just that rite now which is good to see. Inter'll be the big test, but for all the guys sayin we aint playin no-one at the minute - whilst i agree with that, you can't beat manu unless they're on the same pitch can u ??? Lets be happy for the run we're on, hope it takes us further and results in us bein interested rite up to the end of a season that threatened to implode on itself for us.

And if Pennant don't get goal of the month for march I'm gonna be very disapponted!  :p
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion