LIVERPOOL VS ASTON VILLA - Sun 22/3/09 4.p.m.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:26 am

RobinHood6969 wrote:Awesome game..Total rip off..But i didnt like Brad Friedel's sending off.. He would have made some crucial saves against the mancs  :(

There was talk of an appeal, but I doubt it would succeed. As I understand it, if a red card is issued and it was at least a yellow card offence, then the FA won't touch it.

The rules are crazy re "goalscoring opportunities". If you deny a clear goalscoring opportunity inside the box then the side denied get a clear goalscoring opportunity (a penalty) So why give a red card? Outside the box it's different because a free-kick isn't a clear goalscoring opportunity, although I would have one simple rule - deny a clear goalscoring opportunity and it is a penalty and a yellow card. You've righted the wrong and punished the offender, it makes a bit more sense in my mind especially as counter-attacks are often broken up by cynical yellow card offences, not red cards because it's too far from goal.

Friedel's claims that he couldn't get out of the way look a bit shaky on replay, looks as if he puts his shoulder in the way rather than "make himself as small as possible". There's one ex-red unlikely to influence a result against the mancs :(
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:27 am

GRAHAM01 wrote:gerrard never went out last night did he??

Affray'd not, and he didn't beat himself up over it either
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:35 am

Owzat wrote:
GRAHAM01 wrote:gerrard never went out last night did he??

Affray'd not, and he didn't beat himself up over it either

:laugh:  :laugh:

top notch he's a good boy  :D
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:37 am

had the Freidel mistake (the kick out straight to the deer in the headlights) gone to torres, well, I dont need to tell ya where that ball would of ended up do I?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:12 am

we all dream... wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
Keris wrote:Friedel red carded...
Gerrard on a hattrick??!!!
Get in Son :D

Him getting sent off is worst thing that could have happened tbh he miss manc game now and it be easyer for  them.

The card will be overturned without a doubt

By the letter of the law its a sending off though isn't it? He denied a goal scoring opportunity and was basically the last man...... no?

It wasn't as bad as it looked  , maybe will be changed to a yellow card . Friedal was hard done .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:22 am

shouldnt of been a sending off - the right back was stood right next to torres - penalty and yellow card
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:36 am

There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:45 am

peewee wrote:on another note anyone notice the difference in our football since he signed his contract?

He signed midweek.  Prior to him signing we beat Madrid 4-0 and Man U 4-1.  After signing we beat Villa 5-0.  What difference in our football are we meant to be noticing exactly? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby RobinHood6969 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:47 am

Toffeehater wrote:
we all dream... wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
Keris wrote:Friedel red carded...
Gerrard on a hattrick??!!!
Get in Son :D

Him getting sent off is worst thing that could have happened tbh he miss manc game now and it be easyer for  them.

The card will be overturned without a doubt

By the letter of the law its a sending off though isn't it? He denied a goal scoring opportunity and was basically the last man...... no?

It wasn't as bad as it looked  , maybe will be changed to a yellow card . Friedal was hard done .

Yeah hoping the card will be overturned.. Mancs should be denied by a brilliant Friedel  :D
RobinHood6969

Postby thegreedo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:48 am

Any more predictions Cig, I might put a bet on with Dawson.:D

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:54 am

Sabre wrote:
"The team was doing well but it's true I am not totally happy because we could have scored more goals," said Benitez, who wanted the Reds to push on after the dismissal of Brad Friedel at 4-0.

"We were playing against 10 players and had three or four more chances. It's really important to take them because you never know what's going to happen with the goal difference.

"Today it wasn't key but in other games it has been. I wanted more goals. It's an area we need to improve.

It's interesting this self criticism of the manager. He does so at a stage of the season in which our effectiveness is being lethal. We didn't have that effectiveness when Torres wasn't available and clearly that's something the managers want out of the players.

It's a good self criticism IMHO and the goal difference do have importance. Not to mention that these spankings are sending the right messages to our next rivals. These results do intimidate and that's a good thing.

No...he's just a moaning kunt.

Why can't he just be happy with the win........blah, blah, blah...ad nauseum........

:D
tonyeh

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
peewee wrote:on another note anyone notice the difference in our football since he signed his contract?

He signed midweek.  Prior to him signing we beat Madrid 4-0 and Man U 4-1.  After signing we beat Villa 5-0.  What difference in our football are we meant to be noticing exactly? ???

Perhaps it had a positive effect in the team, I'm sure that's what he meant. :D

How a positive effect? Well look at those FK, we did the screenings like always, Riera got behind the wall as always, the other man didn't allow to see the trajectory as always, but the FK went through the keeper's post. Why do the FKs go in now and not 3 months ago? because we trained it worse? no, that's often related to confidence.

Often a FK and scoring a goal is a matter of confidence. I'm pretty sure that for a player like Riera, Kuyt, and overall the team is good news to have the manager's contract renewed.

The manager himself insisted that the sooner the contract thing was arranged the better to focus on football, and he may be right.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:02 pm

And then people say that Rafa never celebrates a Liverpool goal!  :D

Last edited by account deleted by request on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Dundalk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:06 pm

Hes a misery guts isnt he :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:09 pm

He's not only the yes man, now he also scratches Rafa's back?

FFS!! :angry:
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion