Dirk kuyt - A discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bammo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:15 pm

That's the point though, maybe he could be a threat if he was playing as an out and out striker rather than having to drop deep and do all the work that the midfield should be doing. ???
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:02 pm

Yet more excuses as to why the lads not good enough. I've no doubt he'll score closer to twenty goals next season as the team will hopefully improve slightly but the fact remains, as a footballer, he's not good enough to be a regular starter in a league winning side unless you have exceptional talent around him in attacking area's.

He is not good enough to start every week for Liverpool FC.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:Yet more excuses as to why the lads not good enough. I've no doubt he'll score closer to twenty goals next season as the team will hopefully improve slightly but the fact remains, as a footballer, he's not good enough to be a regular starter in a league winning side unless you have exceptional talent around him in attacking area's.

Well depending on the players rafa brings in stu , i don't think he's gonna start week in week out, i'd definatley keep him in the squad though , he's good enough to make a difference coming from the bench. and to add to that i think he'll make an ideal partner for a proper goal poacher type .
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:09 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:Yet more excuses as to why the lads not good enough. I've no doubt he'll score closer to twenty goals next season as the team will hopefully improve slightly but the fact remains, as a footballer, he's not good enough to be a regular starter in a league winning side unless you have exceptional talent around him in attacking area's.

Well depending on the players rafa brings in stu , i don't think he's gonna start week in week out, i'd definatley keep him in the squad though , he's good enough to make a difference coming from the bench. and to add to that i think he'll make an ideal partner for a proper goal poacher type .

If you need to shut up shop and are defending a 1-0 lead then possibly yes. One of the best defensive strikers in world football. :D
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:30 pm

I think the same argument applies to Kuyt as Sissoko,  their greatest assets are their stamina and work rate. If they arnt good enough to start you may as well sell them, because using them as subs negates their main strengths.

Stick Tevez behind Kuyt and I think you will see a different player, maybe not a Rush or Fowler, but a regular scorer.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby puroresu » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:31 pm

Bammo wrote:That's the point though, maybe he could be a threat if he was playing as an out and out striker rather than having to drop deep and do all the work that the midfield should be doing. ???

But would u be content if he was the #1 striker next season?
puroresu

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:34 pm

You know he's got more to his game than hard work stu , you even admit it yourself by saying he 'll probably get near to 20 goals next season if the team improves, you don't do that if you are just a hard worker and can defend from the front. The lad has definatley got something about him imo.
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:34 pm

puroresu wrote:
Bammo wrote:That's the point though, maybe he could be a threat if he was playing as an out and out striker rather than having to drop deep and do all the work that the midfield should be doing. ???

But would u be content if he was the #1 striker next season?

I still think we need to buy a #1 striker (milito or whoever we're linked with this minute) but I'm happy for Kuyt to play regularly. With the right service and support Kuyt could get 15-20 goals maximum. If he were playing alongside someone who got 20+... :buttrock
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:45 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:and to add to that i think he'll make an ideal partner for a proper goal poacher type .

I'm not sure about that... cause a goal poacher needs a play making striker like bergkamp/henry, bebeto/romario, kaka/insaghi... kuyt doesn't have that quality... I think he can play more up front with tevez running and making plays... he might not be a natural finisher like fowler or clinical like owen but i think he can score his fair share of goals... I remember in a game (forgot the opposition) he was in the box trapped the ball turned and scored... and he scored those kinda goals quite often in the dutch league...maybe he can be our andy cole...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:50 pm

maguskwt wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:and to add to that i think he'll make an ideal partner for a proper goal poacher type .

I'm not sure about that... cause a goal poacher needs a play making striker like bergkamp/henry, bebeto/romario, kaka/insaghi... kuyt doesn't have that quality... I think he can play more up front with tevez running and making plays... he might not be a natural finisher like fowler or clinical like owen but i think he can score his fair share of goals... I remember in a game (forgot the opposition) he was in the box trapped the ball turned and scored... and he scored those kinda goals quite often in the dutch league...maybe he can be our andy cole...

Like i say , kuyts got more to his game than he's given credit for , his goal against chelsea in the league was a well taken goal and his few assists for gerrard to go on and score , i do think he has the ability to create for a poacher type player.
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:57 pm

Sabre wrote:Let's make this a decent thread about Kuyt, yet another underrated player.

Kuyt has sacrificed a lot his game for the team, if he was in a team that worked for him he would have scored more. I think next season he'll prove his doubters wrong.

What it písses me off that in the mean time people underrate Kuyt, they say "buy Torres!!" who probably they don't know him well. We have a very good strikers couple in Crouch and Kuyt and both of them very sacrificed and with discipline. Of course we can improve the team upfront, and prefferably with top class players, but there's no need to underrate our current players.

It's true that a great finisher a la Owen in it's time would be handy for our team, but it's also true that our current strikers are asked to do a lot of work for the team, and it's not their decission but Rafa's.

It's not a surprise to me that one of the times in which the team played FOR crouch under a 4-4-1-1, Crouchy managed to make a hat trick.

In a nutshell, improve the squad, YES!, Respect to Crouch and Kuyt, aswell, please!

very rightly said sabre.... we already have a very good team... all we need are a couple of good wingers to deliver quality crosses into the box and if we can(if we have cash left after that) then go out and but a goal poacher like tevez/owen .....  for me the priorty signings are wingers and NOT a striker .....
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby RedorDead » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:54 pm

redsince2001 wrote:
Sabre wrote:Let's make this a decent thread about Kuyt, yet another underrated player.

Kuyt has sacrificed a lot his game for the team, if he was in a team that worked for him he would have scored more. I think next season he'll prove his doubters wrong.

What it písses me off that in the mean time people underrate Kuyt, they say "buy Torres!!" who probably they don't know him well. We have a very good strikers couple in Crouch and Kuyt and both of them very sacrificed and with discipline. Of course we can improve the team upfront, and prefferably with top class players, but there's no need to underrate our current players.

It's true that a great finisher a la Owen in it's time would be handy for our team, but it's also true that our current strikers are asked to do a lot of work for the team, and it's not their decission but Rafa's.

It's not a surprise to me that one of the times in which the team played FOR crouch under a 4-4-1-1, Crouchy managed to make a hat trick.

In a nutshell, improve the squad, YES!, Respect to Crouch and Kuyt, aswell, please!

very rightly said sabre.... we already have a very good team... all we need are a couple of good wingers to deliver quality crosses into the box and if we can(if we have cash left after that) then go out and but a goal poacher like tevez/owen .....  for me the priorty signings are wingers and NOT a striker .....

I agree that we already have a good team but to say that we need a wingers over a new striker is something I don't agree with.
On the left we have Zenden, Gonzalez and a fit again Kewell and on the right Pennant and maybe Gerrard...yeah I know we could do with some depth but for me the priority has to be a striker.
Dirk Kuyt is top drawer, his work rate is unbelievable and he can strike a ball...he lacks that clinical finish which would bag him 25 goals but he has the attributes to be a big success for us....Crouch too has his qualities and both he and Kuyt would do very well with a top striker alongside them....but they need that new player to take the pressure off them and free them to do the things they do best.
Whether it's Eto'o or Owen or someone of their ilk we NEED a top finisher and we need him now.
To conclude and bring this back to the main topic I have to say that I am a big Kuyt fan, I have seen him run like crazy to save a throw in the 90th minute when we're winning 3-0 and with some luck and a good run in the team I can see him scoring 18-20 goals in the league no problem.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:20 pm

If I'm being absolutely honest here, I have my doubts about Kuyt.  I hate saying it because I appreciate the work he does for the team and he was obviously deployed in a deeper role by Benitez which quite clearly doesn't play to Kuyt's strengths.

That said he was played right up front in a fair few games and I just don't think he's the type of player that's going to strike fear into teams.  He's not an instinctive finisher.  He's not got pace.  He's not particularly skilful.  His hold-up play and link play is excellent and his work rate is fantastic.  But is that enough?  Am I being harsh considering it was his first season?

I'm not writing the lad off by any means, but I'll be expecting more from him next season, especially in terms of his goal tally.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:27 pm

RedorDead wrote:
redsince2001 wrote:

I agree that we already have a good team but to say that we need a wingers over a new striker is something I don't agree with.
On the left we have Zenden, Gonzalez and a fit again Kewell and on the right Pennant and maybe Gerrard...yeah I know we could do with some depth but for me the priority has to be a striker.
Dirk Kuyt is top drawer, his work rate is unbelievable and he can strike a ball...he lacks that clinical finish which would bag him 25 goals but he has the attributes to be a big success for us....Crouch too has his qualities and both he and Kuyt would do very well with a top striker alongside them....but they need that new player to take the pressure off them and free them to do the things they do best.
Whether it's Eto'o or Owen or someone of their ilk we NEED a top finisher and we need him now.
To conclude and bring this back to the main topic I have to say that I am a big Kuyt fan, I have seen him run like crazy to save a throw in the 90th minute when we're winning 3-0 and with some luck and a good run in the team I can see him scoring 18-20 goals in the league no problem.

Am I missing something here or have you been living under a rock, lad? ???  Zenden and Gonzales have both been told that they are surplus to requirements.  I'm sure they're still on the books but it's clear that Rafa wants them out the door ahead of next season.  That leaves Kewell for the left side--a potentially fantastic player but a definite sicknote.  We deffo need a quality left midfielder.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:35 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Am I missing something here or have you been living under a rock, lad? ???  Zenden and Gonzales have both been told that they are surplus to requirements.  I'm sure they're still on the books but it's clear that Rafa wants them out the door ahead of next season.  That leaves Kewell for the left side--a potentially fantastic player but a definite sicknote.  We deffo need a quality left midfielder.

I thought that was Zenden out of contract now?  I'd like to think that's him finished at LFC but I remember a few worrying quotes from Rafa towards the end of the season about how he hadn't decided on Zenden's future and how he thinks Zenden's a good player to have in the dressing room.

I wasn't aware that Gonzalez was told he was surplus to requirements, but I'm not surprised if he has.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion