Dirk kuyt - I know it's early but........

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:45 pm

Good post BM as always, Ive been a Kuyt admirer for around 2 years I kept harping on about him on here, and most responses I would get was look at Kezman.

He set the Ere Divisie on fire but was :censored: in the prem.
But he was a Serb not a cloggy, how many dutch players have actually failed in the prem?

Not many, dutch players can usually slot in with the cliamtes being the same, only the people are friendlier in England than in Holland (had to get that dig in) :D

Who does Kuyt remind you of? A young Fowler? Shearer?
One things for certain he will work his bollox off for the team, he will defend he will track back to regain possession, he will cover as much ground as Sissoko.

Only wont fly into tackles as he does, what I liked about him on his debut was the way he was giving orders when this was his new club, Gerrard and that must of been thinkin cheeky b@stard  :D

He just seems full of beans and really over the moon to be here, Im over the moon he is here he will be our best player this season and Im willing to stake money on it.

He will have a relationship with the fans which is always important to have a big personality that you feel close to.
I hope he scores tommorrow he will become an instant hit if he does he has said so himself.
He is really looking forward to playing in the derby so what more can you ask for?

Onto Bellamy he done my head in against WH on saturday if Im honest, he was just that little sh1t who Ive always dissliked but in a Liverpool kit, it was a bit strange really :sniffle

Gabidon said they kept playing him offside and they where laughing because he was getting very annoyed with the linesman.

I hope he proves to be a big hit here, we are supposed to be his boyhood club, lets hope he turns into another Ian Rush.

Pennant? Havent seen anything to really impress me from him yet but its early days and he is still finding his feet.
Would have prefered a cheeky bid for Aaron Lennon meself but if Rafa wanted him so be it.

He will have to behave though, and buying a flat above the Newz bar doesnt impress me atall, nor does drinking in the Albert Dock at 11 in the night when he had to be in training the following mornin at 8.

Fowler, Macca, Redknapp and Ince anyone?
Just pray to god he doesnt go down the wrong road along with any other new players weve signed, this is Pennants last hope at a big club I feel, and there is plenty of time for him to go on the ale when his career is over.

Totally gone off topic now ..........
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:00 pm

Red hot
JONATHAN NORTHCROFT

Dirk Kuyt has become an instant hit with Liverpool fans, but on Tuesday his thoughts will be with his father

Said one fan in a letter to the Liverpool Echo: “He could be as good as Dalglish.” Thirty-eight minutes was all Dirk Kuyt needed to win a new following at Anfield. But next time he plays in the stadium he will have one fewer supporter than the last: his oldest and biggest fan will be missing.
Nothing could have stopped Kuyt’s father, also Dirk, seeing his beloved son make his debut for Liverpool as a substitute against West Ham on August 26, but after the match he was rushed back to Holland where he was due to have major surgery for lung cancer. The procedure was delayed a few further days to allow Dirk Sr to make a surprise appearance and present his boy with the Dutch Player of the Year award in a televised ceremony. A surgical tube was in his nose. Father and son had tears in their eyes.

It was bad enough to have Dad missing at yesterday’s Merseyside derby, but on Tuesday Kuyt must play in Eindhoven knowing his father is in a hospital bed in Leiden, just 80 miles away. “My father is ill,” said the striker. “He had his operation last week and it is going well, but he can’t travel at the moment. If the time is there I will bring him to see me again in the future. He came to watch my first match and that meant a lot to me.”

Kuyt was speaking in midweek after playing for Holland against Belarus and scoring his fifth international goal with a header in a 3-0 victory. “I just called my dad from the dressing room. He watched the game in hospital on TV,” Kuyt said with a grin. “I hope he was satisfied!” Liverpool, for all their riches and success, position themselves as the down-to-earth mega-club and their supporters will only accept a hero who does not act like one. Kuyt is the prototype. “He scores goals but is the best team player in the world,” said Dirk van Duyn, who coached Kuyt as a youth. “Liverpool are perfect for him. He will never walk alone.”

During the Belarus game the Holland supporters jeered Johnny Heitinga, their own right-back, mercilessly and erupted in glee when the struggling defender was substituted. It was a cringeworthy moment and Kuyt made a point of trotting across to intercept Heitinga and embrace his teammate in a show of solidarity. He thinks of others. At 26, Kuyt, with his wife Gertrude, has set up a foundation to support children in Dutch inner cities and Brazil, Nepal and Ghana and diverts a percentage of his earnings to charity.

It is not just his family that keeps him grounded. To understand Kuyt you may wish to visit Katwijk, the little town on Holland’s North Sea coast, from which he comes. It is as if you leave modern life behind when you pass beyond its high sand dunes and head for the promenade, where there is an old whitewashed church and lighthouse, and the motor car defers to wheelchairs, bicycles and prams. The place grew out of a traditional fishing village and religion and community are strong.

“The people of Katwijk were workers,” said Van Duyn. “The best newspaper of the village is to listen to the old fishermen.”

Two emblems dominate Katwijk, the Dutch flags that flap from poles everywhere and the blue scarves suspended in the back windows of many cars. These bear the name of Quick Boys, Katwijk’s football club, whose 1,800 players of all age groups and regular first-team crowds of about 3,500 make it the biggest amateur side in Holland. Here Kuyt learnt the game. “He was good, but he became better than we expected. He left with a friend to play for Utrecht and we thought his friend was better, but Dirk kept working hard and now his friend’s at Haarlem and Dirk plays for Liverpool,” said Jan van der Poel.

He is one of the scores of townsfolk down at the club on Wednesday afternoon. Some have bunked off work early to watch their kids at under-five practice; others are here to help with odd jobs such as painting, grass-cutting and the main task of the moment, assisting with construction (everything is DIY here) of a 2,000-seat enclosure that will revolutionise Quick Boys’ tiny ground. Part- financed with the £300,000 development windfall the club received as result of Kuyt’s £9m move to Liverpool, it is set to become the Dirk Kuyt Stand.

Kuyt is delighted that I have been to Quick Boys. “I keep in touch with everyone there,” he said. “When I was playing with Feyenoord I went there every Saturday (Dutch league games are on Sundays) because a lot of friends play for the first team. I want to go back when I’m no longer a professional. When I walk in there I’m not Dirk Kuyt the professional footballer, I’m just Dirk Kuyt from the village.”

What Liverpool fans loved most at first sight was his sheer endeavour. Kuyt’s technique is sure and his goalscoring assured (he struck 71 times in 101 league games for Feyenoord) but his thirst for the fray defines him: every minute he plays is action-packed and, including one run of 179 consecutive appearances, he missed just five games in seven seasons in Holland. “I just try to work hard, sleep well, eat well and do my best. There’s no secret,” he said. “

The first thing you’ve got to do as a footballer is give 100%, and if you do that in a match the good playing comes. My first objective is always to work 100% for the team and for the other players.

“They taught me that when I was growing up. The people in the village in Katwijk have had to work hard to make a living. Most of them were fishermen and my father was too. So maybe you could say I’m a typical Katwijk player.”

Kuyt was offered an apprenticeship on a trawler in his adolescence, but chose football. Rafael Benitez, for one, is glad. “He’s a complete type of player,” the manager purred when, after three years of trying, having also targeted Kuyt when he managed Valencia, he finally signed his man. As one who plays in every position across the frontline (most of his 21 caps for Holland have been as a right- or left-winger) he fits Benitez’s ideal of the flexible, tactically aware footballer. For Kuyt’s part, he sees Liverpool as his perfect fit. He was linked with Manchester United, Barcelona and Arsenal and pursued seriously by Newcastle and Tottenham, but “it was about the feeling. Liverpool have won the European Cup five times and the English league many times, they have a big history, they play in the Champions League and have a fantastic ground. All these things were important but for me it’s also important you get a good feeling from a club and Liverpool gave me that from the beginning. I had that same feeling about Feyenoord and Utrecht (laughs) . . . and Quick Boys too! “One of the things I’ve learnt is that Liverpool is a very big team, but it’s also a place where everybody tries to help you, even the big stars, and that is a compliment to the club and the people who work there. For example, I always regarded Steven Gerrard as a world-class player, but when I met him he was a down-to-earth lad. He was not shy, but he was modest and you don’t often find that in players so big.”

Kuyt’s Feyenoord got used to trailing behind PSV in the Dutch Eredivisie but he expects the dynamic to be different when he meets them with his new team. “PSV is going to be a tough game but a few good players have left, like Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and Andre Ooijer, and I’ve also found out that my friend Phillip Cocu is suspended on Tuesday, so maybe there are a few chances for us,” he said.

He would love success in the Champions League, but his chief ambition is to win the Premiership, which is exactly what his new admirers on the Kop feel. How like Dirk Kuyt (the Dirk is pronounced “Dirik”) to have his priorities right.

Sounds like he is a decent man as well as being a great player. Hope is dad gets the chance to see him play in a big match for us. Seems to have his head screwed on and to be a team player rather than a "superstar".
account deleted by request

Postby zarababe » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:10 pm

Nice read saint, hope Kuyt Senior makes a speedy recovery to see his son continue to light up this Team.

Everything about Kuyt has been written on these pages already. For me he has been the most exciting player I have seen in ages, his engery and enthusiasm are plain to see, and he is full of goals. We just need to get some good service to him, although he can do a lot himself no-doubt, and start playing him from the start (pls Rafa).

Without tempting fate, he will be an awesome star
Last edited by zarababe on Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:12 pm

s@int wrote:Liverpool, for all their riches and success, position themselves as the down-to-earth mega-club and their supporters will only accept a hero who does not act like one.

so true. :bowdown   thanks for putting this up saint. good read.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:09 am

:bump
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:02 pm

Could have had a hat-trick last night.  Come on Dirk, pull your finger out! :angry:

:D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Raiden Warr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:11 pm

Unforuanately I am not a fan of Dirk and right now I am just hoping I have to eat my words rather than say I told you so.
Raiden Warr

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:21 pm

Raiden Warr wrote:Unforuanately I am not a fan of Dirk and right now I am just hoping I have to eat my words rather than say I told you so.

Have seen him play for Lfc yet, and if you have what reservations do you have. I can understand reserving your judgement based on the world cup games he played , but if you have seen him play for Lfc i can't see what is troubling you about the lad. This is not a pop at you ,i'm just wondering where your coming from. :)
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raiden Warr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:34 pm

Well I just relocated to Nigeria (new job) and have just found somewhere to watch him play. Saw him in world cup, saw the goal he scored against Newcastle and then he was swopped for longshanx obviously am reluctant to judge him on a five minuite performance against the barcode brigade so I am holding my breadth. However everyone seems to be quite positive which is good.
Raiden Warr

Postby Raiden Warr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:36 pm

sorry I forgot to add I saw highlights of the goal he scored and then five minuites into watching the game I saw Xabi's goal live so I guess it was more than five minuites.
Raiden Warr

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:18 pm

Raiden Warr wrote:Well I just relocated to Nigeria (new job) and have just found somewhere to watch him play. Saw him in world cup, saw the goal he scored against Newcastle and then he was swopped for longshanx obviously am reluctant to judge him on a five minuite performance against the barcode brigade so I am holding my breadth. However everyone seems to be quite positive which is good.

He really has been top drawer since arriving.  His debut against West Ham was impressive--almost scored twice within two minutes of coming on and his assist for Bellamy's disallowed (offside) goal was simply sublime.  He only came off the bench in the derby but was well up for the fight and was constantly running while some of his teammates let their heads drop.  He had a strong game against PSV Eindhoven and his partnership with Bellamy showed real promise that evening.  Against Chelsea he hit the bar with a scorcher and had a very strong overall game.  The Newcastle strike may have been his first in a red shirt but it was coming for sometime.

His qualities are there for all to see: he works his socks off for the team, both going forward and tracking back; he has a very good touch with both feet; he's decent in the air; he's quicker than I expected and he can spot a pass as well as strike a sweet shot.  If he can just be a bit more clinical in his finishing (he really could have had a hat-trick last night) he'll cement his place as our number one centre-forward.

I was skeptical about him before he signed too but he's proved me wrong.  If you get a chance to watch him play, I think you'll be singing his praises soon too.  He really is showing signs of being the striker we've been missing for sometime.  :)
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby PhiLFC » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:00 pm

Raiden Warr wrote:Unforuanately I am not a fan of Dirk and right now I am just hoping I have to eat my words rather than say I told you so.

I think, no, I know that you'll be eating your words.

Kuyt is gonna be up there with the true legends of Liverpool Football Club.  His energy, speed of play, shooting is just awesome... I think we may have found our new err... (thinks for a nanosecond) Keegan, Rush, Fowler all in one AND he's in the same team as Stevie and Xavi.  As you can tell I'm a little bit excited about him  :)
PhiLFC

Postby red37 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:08 pm

or the next dalglish....... :bowdown  (calm down red!)  :D

like i said in another topic, the spine of a great liverpool side is emerging...you can sense it!!!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby gary106 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:42 pm

didnt have a great gametoday an many strikers heads would of been down but his wasnt he kept going and took his chance well
gary106

Postby RedorDead » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:33 pm

I am loving Dirk, I really am. I did rate him before he signed and while you never know I had a feeling he'd be a massive hit in the premiership. He is big and strong and a great finisher but most of all he has an unbelievably good attitude and work rate. He was tracking back and tackling today when we were 2-0 up in the last five minutes, he is tireless and will do anything for the team.
He has that Gerrard mentality where a game is never lost and while he might not have that ability to single handedly win a match he is exactly the sort of player who will succeed in this league.
It is early days yet but his confidence is high and if he stays in the first eleven I cannot see him not scoring a bucket load for us. Is he a new Keegan or Dalglish? That might be jumping the gun by about five years but he has made agreat start and I like him a lot!!!
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion