Sell but only if a big (£10m) offer comes in
9%
Give him another season
27%
Keep playing him until he scores
5%

Total votes : 139

Postby kunilson » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:32 pm

I was hoping to see more from Kuyt this season but have seen much of the same....great work rate but not enough goals.
I wouldn't just sell him for the sake of it, would need someone worthwhile coming in......just can't have another season hoping to see if he gets any better especially since he has played in most positions on the frontline for us now without much change.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:09 pm

kunilson wrote:I was hoping to see more from Kuyt this season

weve seen him every week mate

where have you been?  :wwww
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Kid Torres » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:37 pm

Judge wrote:bring in aaron lennon, he can play anywhere across midfield or the wing, plus he's very technically good

I think technically Lennon is extremely average at best at this moment in time.

He has fantastic pace which of course can be a real asset but too many times he runs down blind alleys, and when he does get to the byline his final ball is often lacking. His scoring record is poor to compared to s lot of other wide players.

He does have potential but I think there are better, and probably cheaper, options out there.
The Kid Torres

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:40 pm

The Kid Torres wrote:
Judge wrote:bring in aaron lennon, he can play anywhere across midfield or the wing, plus he's very technically good

He has fantastic pace which of course can be a real asset but too many times he runs down blind alleys, and when he does get to the byline his final ball is often lacking. His scoring record is poor to compared to s lot of other wide players.

He does have potential but I think there are better, and probably cheaper, options out there.

firstly , there are not many wingers who get loads of goals , ronaldo may be an expection , football has changed , wingers don't score that many now compared to last time . I think lennon would be a fantastic addition to the sqaud and is a naturla winger , great pace , has great skill to beat his man.

Would u suggest some better options which meet ur criteria
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Kid Torres » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:02 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
The Kid Torres wrote:

firstly , there are not many wingers who get loads of goals , ronaldo may be an expection , football has changed , wingers don't score that many now compared to last time . I think lennon would be a fantastic addition to the sqaud and is a naturla winger , great pace , has great skill to beat his man.

Van Der Vaart and David Bentley are two players that spring to mind.

I know there not out and out wingers in the slightest BUT they both cross the ball better than Aaron Lennon, which is one of a winger's priorities, and both likely to get into double figures over the season.

If Lennon was to leave Spurs it would likely to be for no less than 18 million, far too much money for a hit and miss type of player.
The Kid Torres

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:09 pm

The Kid Torres wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
The Kid Torres wrote:

I know there not out and out wingers in the slightest BUT they both cross the ball better than Aaron Lennon, which is one of a winger's priorities, and both likely to get into double figures over the season.

If Lennon was to leave Spurs it would likely to be for no less than 18 million, far too much money for a hit and miss type of player.

van der vart plays as a second foward or a central mid . BEntely would go for 15 million at least and not really sure he can cut it at a big club like he messed up at arsenal , secondly lennon would cost only 6 to 8 million , a rumour that rafa would bid ain that region and it would tempt ramos who's gonna clear alot of players in the summer and needs the funds with one of spurs shareholders suffering a lost , so this might affect their transfer budget , so he would not be looking at bids that high for players
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Kid Torres » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:17 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
The Kid Torres wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
The Kid Torres wrote:

van der vart plays as a second foward or a central mid . BEntely would go for 15 million at least and not really sure he can cut it at a big club like he messed up at arsenal , secondly lennon would cost only 6 to 8 million , a rumour that rafa would bid ain that region and it would tempt ramos who's gonna clear alot of players in the summer and needs the funds with one of spurs shareholders suffering a lost , so this might affect their transfer budget , so he would not be looking at bids that high for players

Couldn't see Spurs selling him for that much.

English players have always been over-priced and Lennon is still young but if indeed Spurs would let him for the the price you mentioned then he would be a decent enough buy, although I personally don't seem him as anything other than another Jermaine Pennant except with more pace and less hair.

Van Der Vaart has played on the left wing during his time at Ajax, one of his pluses is that he can play in a number of positions although he's probably at his most effective in a central role to be fair.
The Kid Torres

Postby redhayesy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:08 pm

stmichael wrote:I actually think Dirk Kuyt has played very well since shifting to this current formation and has become far more of a goal threat as a result. The role Rafa is asking him to play requires high workrate and the ability to get into the box when we attack, something Kuyt is doing very well at the moment.

i totally agree mate, very good post! what i like about
kuyt is that, when the team go foward he is always
availablle to recieve the ball, or make space for others
going foward, in the role he is being asked to do.

with all his personal situations behind the scenes
he has gone through, i think he has shown a fantastic
attitude towards playing for LFC, & desire to recognise
that putting on the red shirt is an honour as wel
as a privaldge! he has shown great character for me
& sincerly hope he produces the form, that we know
he is capble of.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby ldhawan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:24 am

I agree with Avi Cohen.
Yes, Kuyt has been given a lot of games but most of those games see him outside the box. He is the type of striker who needs to be inside the box with balls coming in. When he's outside the box putting the balls in, the it's gonna be hard for the guy to score. He doesn't have a shot like Torres or Gerrard (or Super Masch!) outside but if he was inside more often I believe we would see a lot more goals from him.
Bottom line is I think it would be better for him to move on to a team that would play him as the man up front coz in Liverpool's system there will be no chance for him up front as long as Torres or any other striker is on the pitch.
It's funny but I think he would do better in a team like Arsenal or Man U who generally get more players inside the box. Rafa likes to spread the players out which results in fewer players in the box than the other top teams.
So we either change our system to get Kuyt in the box, keep playing him outside where he is not too effectiver, or sell him off for a player more suitable to that role.

Better to sell I guess.:(
ldhawan

Postby VamosRafa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:17 am

I see Kuyt as nothing more than a stopgap tbh. I think the whole point of this 451 formation is to give the front 4 (i.e. Torres/Gerrard/ Kuyt/ Babel) licence to go and create without too much pressure on defensive duties. The Chelsea team had it spot on the year they won the league with Robben/Duff/Lampard/Drogba, i think it was mainly due to the skill and effectiveness of the wingers, who caused so many problems for the opposition. I think Babel could develop into this role quite comfortably, Kuyt on the other hand, despite his hard work has shown he hasn't the capability to do this. It was painful to watch him waste so much in Milan the other day, even when he had so much time on the ball.

Although Rafa has persisted with him all season, i don't think thats a guarantee he'll be treated the same way next term, or that he'll even be at the club at all. I seem to remember Morientes playing week in week out when firing blanks, and Cisse being shipped out to the right wing before being sold. Even Crouch was flavour of the month for a time whilst he wasn't playing well. I'm happy to have Kuyt see out the rest of the season in this role, but i'll be :censored: off if he's still part of the starting 11 next year.
VamosRafa

Postby Owzat » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:16 am

The Kid Torres wrote:

I haven't been that impressed with Lennon, maybe a step up from Pennant, but still not anywhere near as good as he should be by now. He's almost become peripheral in England terms. If we could buy him at £4m-£5m then maybe he's worth the gamble, spudz would not sell him cheaply (saying that Ramos might)

Premiership comparisons (source : FPL)

Lennon - 2 goals and 4 assists in 1683 mins
Bentley - 6 goals and 6 assists in 2600 mins
Pennant - 1 goal and 2 assists in 881 mins
Babel - 4 goals and 3 assists in 1091 mins

So Lennon is on double the goals and assists of Pennant and roughly double the minutes, Babel and Bentley look the better of the four by far. To be able to compare Pennant and Lennon fairly and conclude there's little between them in terms of end produce suggests we'd be buying someone little better than Pennant and doubtless at the same cost or probably more.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Kid Torres » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Owzat wrote:
The Kid Torres wrote:

I haven't been that impressed with Lennon, maybe a step up from Pennant, but still not anywhere near as good as he should be by now. He's almost become peripheral in England terms. If we could buy him at £4m-£5m then maybe he's worth the gamble, spudz would not sell him cheaply (saying that Ramos might)

So Lennon is on double the goals and assists of Pennant and roughly double the minutes, Babel and Bentley look the better of the four by far. To be able to compare Pennant and Lennon fairly and conclude there's little between them in terms of end produce suggests we'd be buying someone little better than Pennant and doubtless at the same cost or probably more.

:nod

That's the point I was making, that Lennon isn't actually that much a different player to Jermiane Pennant. (although he might be much better in a few years should he develop a final ball even half of what Cristiano Ronaldo has)

Lennon has been poor this season compared to the last one and it's not a suprise to see him not only fail to make Cappello's England squad so far but also the under-21 squad too.

I would be over the moon if Liverpool signed David Bentley. People dislike him as he's arrogant but all the special players have that arrogance to there game and whilst he's still got to prove himself on the top stage he has massive potential and Torres would thrive on his crosses and set-pieces.
The Kid Torres

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:20 pm

The Kid Torres wrote:
Owzat wrote:
The Kid Torres wrote:

:nod

That's the point I was making, that Lennon isn't actually that much a different player to Jermiane Pennant. (although he might be much better in a few years should he develop a final ball even half of what Cristiano Ronaldo has)

Lennon has been poor this season compared to the last one and it's not a suprise to see him not only fail to make Cappello's England squad so far but also the under-21 squad too.

I would be over the moon if Liverpool signed David Bentley. People dislike him as he's arrogant but all the special players have that arrogance to there game and whilst he's still got to prove himself on the top stage he has massive potential and Torres would thrive on his crosses and set-pieces.

He's not proven at top level like lennon it can be argued , depends on how much we pay , we might be taking a gamble if we pay 12 to 15 million , 8 million reigon would be fine as we can sell pennant off for maybe 5 .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:19 am

Lennon looks another product of the Leeds academies, not quite what we need. Bentley came through at Arsenal and I know which production line I'd prefer my players to have come from.

Lennon may have 9 caps to Bentley's two, but he's done little with them. At the moment the pecking order looks something like Beckham, Wright-Phillips, Bentley, Gerrard, Young, ...................... Lennon. Capello's no fool, although some of his selections are a bit odd and maybe he's relying a bit more on 'information' from others as he settles in and while he gets to see the players in person.

Must be hard being the England manager, if you're not watching certain teams there's not going to be many England candidates on show. Do you watch the teams with most English players who probably aren't the best players or watch the best clubs and players knowing there won't be many? Sunday will be a rarity where he can see around ten English candidates of good enough quality. I'm guessing he must have been at the spudz game Wednesday
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:55 pm

I reckon keeping playing him wide as a provider in the smaller matches.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion