Dirk kuyt - A discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:54 am

scowsers

I dont know if its the Northern lights your smoking, but thats twice now you've spelt Scousers, scowsers man. :D
66-1112520797

Postby mr_weed_80@hotmail.com » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:57 am

lol soz im from london so iv never really had to spell it too much
stupid schools teaching me unimportant stuff like maths n english when liverpool should be the main course
mr_weed_80@hotmail.com

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:58 am

I believe that Kuyt needs to be played as a central striker is we're to see the best out of him. I remember the first time I saw him come on as a sub for us (think it was against the Toon) and he appeared to be very direct. he must have had half a dozen shots on goal that day. He has predominantly been played as a support striker but I belive we'd get 15-20 goals from him as a central striker. He gives no-one any peace as he's very mobile, fit and strong!

IMO he did pretty well for his 1st season in the EPL having come from a p*ss poor dutch league.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:01 pm

Let's make this a decent thread about Kuyt, yet another underrated player.

Kuyt has sacrificed a lot his game for the team, if he was in a team that worked for him he would have scored more. I think next season he'll prove his doubters wrong.

What it písses me off that in the mean time people underrate Kuyt, they say "buy Torres!!" who probably they don't know him well. We have a very good strikers couple in Crouch and Kuyt and both of them very sacrificed and with discipline. Of course we can improve the team upfront, and prefferably with top class players, but there's no need to underrate our current players.

It's true that a great finisher a la Owen in it's time would be handy for our team, but it's also true that our current strikers are asked to do a lot of work for the team, and it's not their decission but Rafa's.

It's not a surprise to me that one of the times in which the team played FOR crouch under a 4-4-1-1, Crouchy managed to make a hat trick.

In a nutshell, improve the squad, YES!, Respect to Crouch and Kuyt, aswell, please!
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mr_weed_80@hotmail.com » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:04 pm

tru say mr sabre
mr_weed_80@hotmail.com

Postby Bammo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:32 pm

I think Kuyt will do a lot better for us if we improve the midfield, specifically the wingers. In his first season he did a lot of work dropping deep or moving wide to try and create for the other players. If we can bring in wingers that can create chances then Kuyt can stay further forwards where he will do more damage.

Personally, I'd be happier if we bought a mid-priced forward (eg Milito) and spent the most cash on a world-class winger.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:33 pm

cpc4eva wrote:i feel that dirk is being used in the wrong position..... where do people think he is best on the pitch ?

Couldn't agree more.  Kuyt's a cracking right back...end of "discussion".  :O  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:46 pm

In all seriousness, I think Kuyt is a vital squad member who works very hard for the team and drops deep, probably on Rafa's instructions.  That may have been a necessity this season that won't be as vital next year depending on signings and the return of players like Kewell and Garcia.  Plus, he'll have a whole season under his belt and will have a better grasp of the league.

My sense is that he'll always be a grafter, though, rather than an instinctual goal scorer (Crouch too for that matter).  That's not to say we should get rid or anything silly like that.  It is to say, though, that we probably shouldn't rely on him to lead the line for us, no matter what calibre of team we assemble behind him.  I still think we need a clinical finisher to come in and play along side Dirk and Crouchy.

Now, should we actually go in for Tevez, I think we might still need a finisher in addition.  Since Tevez would do a lot of dropping deep himself, I don't think he'd complement Kuyt (and to a lesser extent Crouch) at all.  So, if we sign Tevez I hope we also sign a goal poacher, leaving Kuyt and Crouch to come off the bench (f.uck knows what that means for Voronin :D ).
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:16 pm

People have to give Kuyt a second season. Look at Drogba - two seasons getting the same tally as Kuyt just did, before exploding with 30-odd goals. Maybe Kuyt will never get that many, but with the right partner he'd be a very useful player.

I'd actually compare him in a way to Mark Hughes. He never scored on a conistent basis either. The difference is, Mark Hughes always had a quality striker alongside him. Bryan Robson or Frank Stapleton during his first spell at Man Utd and Andy Cole or Eric Cantona during his second.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stoney » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:24 pm

stmichael wrote:The difference is, Mark Hughes always had a quality striker alongside him. Bryan Robson or Frank Stapleton

erm Bryan Robson was a midfielder  ???
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:30 pm

stoney wrote:
stmichael wrote:The difference is, Mark Hughes always had a quality striker alongside him. Bryan Robson or Frank Stapleton

erm Bryan Robson was a midfielder  ???

Yeah ok. What I meant was that he was a quality attacking midfielder who often ran past the strikers.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:35 pm

Kuyt has without fail given his all in every game, maybe a liitle too much dropping back and it has taken some sharpness away from him in front of goal. If we get a Tevez kind of player in, as he would be dropping back, then it may mean he can keep his defending further up the pitch and stay closer to the oppostion goal, where he should be.
Too many are ready to write Kuyt off, when he has worked harder than anyone for the team, and been asked to drop back a lot, he is a willing sqaud player and a second season hopefully playing in his preferred postion may show him at his best.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:59 pm

i remember his debut where he took a shot almost at every touch. ive been very impressed by his work rate though he doesnt score much but that is perhaps due to the position in which he has been deployed.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Thingy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:33 pm

His work rate for the team is unbelieveable. Okay 14 goals isnt the biggest return but its not bad, especially for his first season here.  The fans love him and id imagine the other players will love him playin for the amount of work he does/Dragging opposition players.
Thingy

Postby puroresu » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:03 pm

I think the fact that many people say Kuyt's biggest attribute is his workrate says at all.  His a good player but good enough to start for LFC?  I dont think so. Worth what we paid?  Again debatable.  1 CL goal is not great at all.  His workrate is awesome it really is but I dont really think his a threat.
puroresu

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion