Dirk kuyt - I know it's early but........

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:01 pm

Ok it's a quiet day so I'm going to start the ball rolling on Dirk. I was actually tempted to do this straight after the West Ham game but resisted the temptation as I thought rating somebody after half an hour may destroy any credibility I have on here. That said bugger credibility, here goes.

I really like the guy. His movement and awareness are first rate and his appreciation of the game picture is sharply in focus. I like the way he passes it, with the way he attempts to get the pace right so the bloke recieving it has no work to do (his subtle little lay-off for the Bellamy disallowed goal wasn't given the credit it deserved). I like the way he heads it, arms up and attacking the space he calculates the ball will pass in it's tradjectory. I like the way he moves to recieve the ball, often taking a couple of steps backwards to give himself a bit of space. In his movement he reminded me very much of a young Teddy Sheringham or Dennis Bergkamp, who coincidentally he is more alike than he is to Van Nistelroy.

I like his attitude and the things he says. I like the fact that he respects the contribution of his family to what he has achieved. I like the fact that the club we got from's fans loved him, and that he said that one day he will go back there.

Guess what, I like him. I think he'll be a massive success at Liverpool and all the clubs throughout Europe who looked at him and deliberated whether or not o go in for him will be kicking themselves over the next five years or so. I use the time period advisedly. I think he has the capability to become an Anfield legend.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Noise Noise » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:12 pm

But what do you really think? :)

Yer i agree he did look very sharp and aware for a player on his debut.  Defo a touch of class about him and if he can score at the same rate he had in Holland we're laughing!
Noise Noise

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:23 pm

fabio aurelio, i know it's early but....
dirk kuyt, i know it's early but....

coming next week from bigmick. harry kewell's new hairstyle, i know it's early but.... :p :D

nah good post bigmick. i saw more awareness and intelligence from kuyt in 30 minutes than i saw from cisse and morientes in 2 years. he'll be a massive hit here.

i also don't subscribe to this theory that he and crouch can't play together. imo they're completely different players.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:26 pm

stmichael wrote:fabio aurelio, i know it's early but....
dirk kuyt, i know it's early but....

coming next week from bigmick. harry kewell's new hairstyle, i know it's early but.... :p :D

nah good post bigmick. i saw more awareness and intelligence from kuyt in 30 minutes than i saw from cisse and morientes in 2 years. he'll be a massive hit here.

i also don't subscribe to this theory that he and crouch can't play together. imo they're completely different players.

Personally, I'm waiting for Mick to favour us with the following:

1) Godwin Antwi - I know he hasn't featured in the senior squad yet, but...

2) Daniel Alves - I know we haven't signed him yet, but...

3) Stevie G's son - I know he's not out of his nappies yet, but...

:D  :D  :D

Nah, just jokin' mate.  I love it when you stick your neck out on the new lads and I am as excited by Kuyt's arrival as you are.  Here's hoping he pots his first in red tomorrow and cements his status with the Kop!  :buttrock

Any thoughts on Bellamy so far?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:50 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Any thoughts on Bellamy so far?

Funnily enough Bob I do have a couple  :D I think he's settled in well and the reason he hasn't set the World on fire since his arrival is more to do with the other players around him not reading his game so well than any lack of ability on his part. His flicks and touches are of the highest quality and if the other striker can get close enough to him, then the welshman may well provide more assists than goals.

The one slight alteration I'd make to his game is that I think he is still in "Blackburn" mode, in that he is probably a bit too willing to pull wide and doesn't spend enough time in and around the six yard box to score as many goals as his potential would suggest. Once he realises that he hasn't got to do everything himself like he did at his previous club he will be a much better player for it. Also I think if he can better anticipate the curled crosses from Gerrard which bounce on the centre of the six-yard box then he will score a steady stream of identikit goals.

I'm pretty impressed with all of the new signings which have figured in competitive games to be perfectly honest. Kuyt is for me the standout, with Bellamy very close behind.

Pennant is obviously a tidy footballer although It is a little bit disconcerting to hear the rumours from some members about his continued evening habits. We had a brief encounter with Pennant and his mate Harvey from so solid whatsit in the area which I work a few weeks before he signed. Though I didn't have anything to do with him myself the word on the street wasn't favourable but I remain hopeful that he will see the error of his ways.

Aurelio I'm very much a fan of, probably more than pretty much everyone on here. I have no concerns about his defending whatsoever and think he will be a regular participant this season, at left back.

My one concern as I've said before is Gonzales who despite expending plenty of effort has not yet convinced me he will cut it in this country. That said, a couple of people whose judgement I respect very much are convinced that he will and he's only a boy so in time he'll o doubt turn it around.

I know it's early mate but that's what I think.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:46 pm

bigmick wrote:The one slight alteration I'd make to his game is that I think he is still in "Blackburn" mode, in that he is probably a bit too willing to pull wide and doesn't spend enough time in and around the six yard box to score as many goals as his potential would suggest.

that's how i see him doing most of his damage...outside and around the box, linking up play. in a similar role that Garcia does, or attempts to do anyway...

encouragingly that was briefly witnessed during the impressive debut of  Kuyt.  i, like you am very much looking forward to seeing those early sparks of promise develop into a raging red inferno of reward.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby CardinalRed » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:03 pm

Wise words Big Mick.... Know what you mean with your comparison to Bergkamp and Sheringham, he seems to have their awareness and foresight but with one major difference, he seems to have blsitering pace as well..... Something Dennis and Teddy could never really claim, if it all comes off what a player we may have on our hands.....?

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby molovinPSV » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:11 pm

CardinalRed wrote:Wise words Big Mick.... Know what you mean with your comparison to Bergkamp and Sheringham, he seems to have their awareness and foresight but with one major difference, he seems to have blsitering pace as well..... Something Dennis and Teddy could never really claim, if it all comes off what a player we may have on our hands.....?

I don't think you can compare kuijt with bergkamp, two totally different players and bergkamp is from another class
molovinPSV

Postby CardinalRed » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:15 pm

I think Big Mick was referring to the intelligence of the afore mentioned players when he was comparing Kuyt to them.....?

CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:33 pm

bigmick wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Any thoughts on Bellamy so far?

Funnily enough Bob I do have a couple  :D I think he's settled in well and the reason he hasn't set the World on fire since his arrival is more to do with the other players around him not reading his game so well than any lack of ability on his part. His flicks and touches are of the highest quality and if the other striker can get close enough to him, then the welshman may well provide more assists than goals.

The one slight alteration I'd make to his game is that I think he is still in "Blackburn" mode, in that he is probably a bit too willing to pull wide and doesn't spend enough time in and around the six yard box to score as many goals as his potential would suggest. Once he realises that he hasn't got to do everything himself like he did at his previous club he will be a much better player for it. Also I think if he can better anticipate the curled crosses from Gerrard which bounce on the centre of the six-yard box then he will score a steady stream of identikit goals.

I'm pretty impressed with all of the new signings which have figured in competitive games to be perfectly honest. Kuyt is for me the standout, with Bellamy very close behind.

Pennant is obviously a tidy footballer although It is a little bit disconcerting to hear the rumours from some members about his continued evening habits. We had a brief encounter with Pennant and his mate Harvey from so solid whatsit in the area which I work a few weeks before he signed. Though I didn't have anything to do with him myself the word on the street wasn't favourable but I remain hopeful that he will see the error of his ways.

Aurelio I'm very much a fan of, probably more than pretty much everyone on here. I have no concerns about his defending whatsoever and think he will be a regular participant this season, at left back.

My one concern as I've said before is Gonzales who despite expending plenty of effort has not yet convinced me he will cut it in this country. That said, a couple of people whose judgement I respect very much are convinced that he will and he's only a boy so in time he'll o doubt turn it around.

I know it's early mate but that's what I think.

Interestingly, .tv have posted some comments on Aurelio today where he singles Bellamy out for special praise--likening him to a Brazilian-style centre forward (well, he's certainly ugly enough :D ).  An interesting comment, IMO, given the calibre of talent throughout the squad that Aurelio is just now bedding into...you wouldn't expect Bellamy to be the one singled out for praise.

The key thing with Bellamy is that his movement is out of the top drawer and he opens things up in and around the box.  What I absolutely love about our strikers is that we have some really intelligent footballing minds up front finally--players who can open up opportunities for themselves and others simply through good movement and running into the right spaces.  That's not even to mention their other attributes, such as holding the ball up, aerial prowess or finishing ability.  Once this team starts to gel, the results are going to be frightening!  :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby redmikey » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:42 pm

mick is allowed to stick his neck out as he regularly produces top draw posts.

dirk impressed against west ham and sank my white emile heskey line in 1 half! he showed more for us in that half than the whole of the WC for holland

he is also tring to get the fans on board big time with his walk around the pitch at the end and going in the papers saying he wants to be hated by the bitter fans... by the way DK i don't think you will have a problem on that one :D 

he was a massive hit with the his last set of supporters and rafa has been impressed for 2 seasons

as for the rest of the signing....

Pennant has been workman like without overly impressing better than having cissie but not as penertrating as SG out there but that will come imo when he fully understands finnan

Bellamy has been the one who looks like he has been at the club a while and his terrier tactics which we all hated when he was at other clubs are nice to see up front for LFC

fabio   I am with bigmich on this one i have been impressed since the first 5 mins of seeing him, cool calm collected and an integral part of the defence imo this year, you can also tell the players are impressed as he is taking free kicks on the edge of the box and in a team with SG xabi etc that must mean that he stands out in training

speedy, as with alot of lads from aboard he will take a season to settle in as our league is faster and more physical than any other, potential but harry will get his place back when fit

Agger,   hear me out on this one... signed played then vanished, with carra saying he is going to have to fight for his place that is testiment to how well he is playing
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:50 pm

bellamy is a typical rafa style player in that his work rate is phenomenal. the only criticism i'd have is that he sometimes runs the channels too frequently and we end up with nobody in the box. i actually fancy him to score tomorrow if he starts.

he's the typical sort of player who you love when he's in your side but hate when he's playing against you. i certainly wouldn't want to be a linesman when he's playing, put it that way. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redmikey » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:36 pm

stmichael wrote:bellamy is a typical rafa style player in that his work rate is phenomenal. the only criticism i'd have is that he sometimes runs the channels too frequently and we end up with nobody in the box. i actually fancy him to score tomorrow if he starts.

he's the typical sort of player who you love when he's in your side but hate when he's playing against you. i certainly wouldn't want to be a linesman when he's playing, put it that way. :D

or a ref

or a defender

or a poor team mate(nufc can vouch for that)
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:24 pm

I'm not able to say so much about a player in so few minutes, but I appreciate this thread.

It's a very bad idea this thing that are doing to us fans, give some footie dosis then cut the dosis by putting international games just when we're eager to watch league football  :angry: I understand the need of bigmick to talk about footie!

Among the little things I have grasped from his play I'd agree the good movements point. The point of taking a couple of steps is done by any decent striker so that's something I'd expect from most top league strikers. I certainly liked his jumping/timing aptitudes, but I have to see more crosses as those I saw where very good. I liked his pace, and seemed to have strength for what I saw.

He doesn't remind me of Bergkamp, though. I saw Bergkamp as an effective Kluivert, very smart movements, very skillful in their flicks. Kuyt seems to be good in those aspects but not that good as the two players mentioned (I think that aspect cannot be worked out *much* even with years, you have it our you haven't it, but no massive changes.

But if he's effective and has more strenght to compensate that, he can be an impact in the league as Bergamp was.

I'm eager to see more of him, bring me more league! in the mean time thank you for a good footie thread.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:31 pm

stmichael wrote:bellamy is a typical rafa style player in that his work rate is phenomenal. the only criticism i'd have is that he sometimes runs the channels too frequently and we end up with nobody in the box. i actually fancy him to score tomorrow if he starts.

dunno why everyones so impressed with bellamy myself. Yeh he works so hard but he's a bit of a headless chicken at times, full or running with little end product, also needs to work on his finsihing if he's gonna be a regular scorer. I would go with Crouch and Kuyt for the derby.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion